Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 AM
  #19321  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 78
Default

Originally Posted by sosidge
Diff oils are a lot thicker than shock oils, you will need to buy some.

My personal preference is for a much lighter oil than 500k in the diff - I run 5k.

Just make sure you run the 3Racing diff in as much as you can before racing it because the standard seals are very tight.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Any particular brand that you use (I see you are in the UK as well)?

Tony.
tonybod is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM
  #19322  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,445
Default

Fastrax is pretty easy to get hold of and what I use.
sosidge is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:27 AM
  #19323  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 78
Default

Thanks again,

I'm a bit confused as to what to get. The Fastrax oils seem to be measured in "wt", others are "cst". Does the Fastrax bottle you have mention cst at all?

I've got a conversion chart for the Schumacher shock oil to other types (cst), but cannot find much info on the Fastrax stuff at all.

Did the 3racing diff come with any oil?

Tony.
tonybod is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM
  #19324  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
c-lyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,761
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

It comes with 2000, good for an M06. For M05 most racers around here use 300,000 or 500,000.
c-lyon is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 12:12 PM
  #19325  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 78
Default

I'm having trouble finding something suitable. Even the Team Associated oil at one supplier I use only goes up to 100,000cst. It may be that the Fastrax stuff is just measured on a different scale (but I cannot find any info on it (yet)).
tonybod is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM
  #19326  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Kyosho 300,000 and 500,000 are available.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM
  #19327  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,445
Default

Originally Posted by tonybod
Thanks again,

I'm a bit confused as to what to get. The Fastrax oils seem to be measured in "wt", others are "cst". Does the Fastrax bottle you have mention cst at all?

I've got a conversion chart for the Schumacher shock oil to other types (cst), but cannot find much info on the Fastrax stuff at all.

Did the 3racing diff come with any oil?

Tony.
The Fastrax oils are cst, all silicone oils that are measured in thousands are on the cst scale. Go with what you can get hold of and stick to the same brand for consistency.
sosidge is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 PM
  #19328  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Raced last night at a different club and got 3rd in the A with the M05 ��My mate who came along got 2nd in with his M03 so we are pretty pleased with that. The 1st place guy in the A was using a Lwb car. Do the Lwb have an advantage over the swb cars, or is it track dependant?
Boons is offline  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 PM
  #19329  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Picked a nice M06 R kit for cheap.. what's a good build setup for indoor carpet racing?

I'll continue to run the M03 and M05, but maybe I'll try a bit of RWD action this winter.
jjjheimer is offline  
Old 08-21-2013, 12:52 AM
  #19330  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,445
Default

Originally Posted by Boons
Raced last night at a different club and got 3rd in the A with the M05 ��My mate who came along got 2nd in with his M03 so we are pretty pleased with that. The 1st place guy in the A was using a Lwb car. Do the Lwb have an advantage over the swb cars, or is it track dependant?
Depends on track, I run LWB outdoors and MWB indoors.
sosidge is offline  
Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 AM
  #19331  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
kwkride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,171
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jjjheimer
Picked a nice M06 R kit for cheap.. what's a good build setup for indoor carpet racing?
I run basically the stock setup. I have the kit oil in the shocks, I am running -2 camber front and rear and I installed an M05 ball diff. I run S grips all around.

For our track this is the car to have. The battle for the win is usually between M06s. The 3s and 5s just can't quite keep up through the infield.
kwkride is offline  
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 AM
  #19332  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

On a suspension question, last night I was running yellow front and red rear springs and doing quite well so I left the car alone. 99% of the other drivers were running blue front and yellow rears. Can you explain what running harder front and rear shocks would or should do to the handling on carpet? My car had plenty of grip, however I'm still pretty green when it comes to suspension settings!

Cheers
Boons is offline  
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM
  #19333  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by Boons
On a suspension question, last night I was running yellow front and red rear springs and doing quite well so I left the car alone. 99% of the other drivers were running blue front and yellow rears. Can you explain what running harder front and rear shocks would or should do to the handling on carpet? My car had plenty of grip, however I'm still pretty green when it comes to suspension settings!

Cheers
You are falling into a trap that catches all of us at one time or another. To quote Tony G, " there are no hard and fast rules for Mini set up". Using yours truly as an example, I'd developed a set of guidelines at one of the tracks I frequent. A fellow racer was having a bit of "trouble" so we made a couple of adjustments to his set up. The car looked much better, was easier to drive, and was now nearly 0.5 sec/lap slower. Back to the drawing board for me.

Thankfully, I've been aware of this for awhile now and have been very careful about posting set up advice and have only couched it in very general terms. For your question, try running harder shocks and springs and see what happens. I often try other set ups to see what happens. Mini set ups are a lot of trial and error.
Granpa is offline  
Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM
  #19334  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Thank you Granpa, I'm always grateful for your comments and advice. And you won't offend me with your honesty! I'll stick the other springs on and see what happens. I was surprised at how different my car felt on another club's carpet. I suppose like anything, it wears out over time!
Boons is offline  
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 AM
  #19335  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

What's your thoughts on UJ driveshafts guys? I think part no 53597 (for my M03 & M05) and the harder out drives for the standard diff?

Cheers
Boons is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.