Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 12-18-2015, 01:29 PM
  #26401  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
Gravity Dodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 331
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I'll have to take the car a part and check for any slop or perhaps a bad bearing? I just had it disassembled and it was not binding and I'm using the black reinforced gears and they look good and the pinion looked ok but I read the tamiya pinions wear out so I might just replace it. For giggles I put full reverse in my esc and tried hitting full reverse abruptly and no hop, I forget the number but I'm using aluminum body trf shocks but with 5mm ride height they are almost bottomed out. Tire balance is good. Thanks for the suggestions
Originally Posted by (0000000000)
If the tires are hopping while you accelerate in a straight line, then you probably have some binding, or some really big gaps of a lot of slop, or your tires are extremely unbalanced. Very surprised to see this is happening with a silvercan, as these issues usually only become visible when there is plenty of power on hand. In any case, DCJ's will not help you if your car is wobbling while you are driving straight.

Many of us race with a ride height of 3mm to 5mm. If you notice a bunch of dark marks on the bottom of your car, then its probably too low. But low ride height wont be enough to hurt the cvd angle. What kind of shocks are you running?
Gravity Dodger is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 01:57 PM
  #26402  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Gravity - what springs and damper oils (piston holes) are you using? Might be too stiff, or too loose. Also check the hinge area of the arm. You might have too much play. A little play is good, but if you can move it more than a few mm might be good to shim it a little.

Anyone know where I can source this body post thingie for my BSR M-Rage? I might need to make mine..as I want to mount a Tamiya Rover Mini body on it just like my other chassis..

http://www.rcmodell.com/shop/images/nb3003.JPG
sakadachi is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 02:37 PM
  #26403  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Gravity - what springs and damper oils (piston holes) are you using? Might be too stiff, or too loose. Also check the hinge area of the arm. You might have too much play. A little play is good, but if you can move it more than a few mm might be good to shim it a little.

Anyone know where I can source this body post thingie for my BSR M-Rage? I might need to make mine..as I want to mount a Tamiya Rover Mini body on it just like my other chassis..

http://www.rcmodell.com/shop/images/nb3003.JPG

This isn;t much help, but Hobbyking warehouses have it on back order.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ize_body_.html
MD is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM
  #26404  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
(0000000000)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,180
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gravity Dodger
I'll have to take the car a part and check for any slop or perhaps a bad bearing? I just had it disassembled and it was not binding and I'm using the black reinforced gears and they look good and the pinion looked ok but I read the tamiya pinions wear out so I might just replace it. For giggles I put full reverse in my esc and tried hitting full reverse abruptly and no hop, I forget the number but I'm using aluminum body trf shocks but with 5mm ride height they are almost bottomed out. Tire balance is good. Thanks for the suggestions


Sounds like you have a ball cup link on the bottom of the shocks that is too long. From what you mentioned about your ride height before, I assumed this, and now that you mention the shocks are bottom'd out and you're still at 5mm, this seems to be the likely reason.

Back to your wobbly wheels, after you do a once-over, throw your mini onto a setup station and check the front alignment. I typically run 1' toe-out. Wheels fighting each other could be a likely cause for wobble on the straights. Make sure to check the true/balance of your glue'd wheels during your once-over.
(0000000000) is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 03:59 PM
  #26405  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MD
This isn;t much help, but Hobbyking warehouses have it on back order.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ize_body_.html
Oh, thanks! Yeah too bad a lot of spares are not available.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 04:00 PM
  #26406  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Rough guess on the new "R" version: It'll have a blue theme. Given they released the blue carbon bits a short while ago and they've announced the release of "47317 M-Chassis Blue Pit Springs" I'd say it's a safe bet.

What the hell is a pit spring anyway?
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 07:07 PM
  #26407  
Tech Master
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,907
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Rough guess on the new "R" version: It'll have a blue theme. Given they released the blue carbon bits a short while ago and they've announced the release of "47317 M-Chassis Blue Pit Springs" I'd say it's a safe bet.

What the hell is a pit spring anyway?
As the proud owner of a recent EVO 6 Black edition ... I'll guess the R Spec won't be blue.
madjack is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 10:21 PM
  #26408  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
(0000000000)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,180
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

If it's pink, I'll buy it.
(0000000000) is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 10:41 PM
  #26409  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default



OMG!!! NEW COLOUR!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!!
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 05:04 AM
  #26410  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
KA2AEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tottenville, NYC
Posts: 2,362
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Rough guess on the new "R" version: It'll have a blue theme. Given they released the blue carbon bits a short while ago and they've announced the release of "47317 M-Chassis Blue Pit Springs" I'd say it's a safe bet.

What the hell is a pit spring anyway?
Wait you don't know what a pit spring is???
KA2AEV is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:29 AM
  #26411  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by madjack
As the proud owner of a recent EVO 6 Black edition ... I'll guess the R Spec won't be blue.
Woo! Horizontally mounted motor shaft drive. nice!

http://cdn.rcmart.com/images/tamiya-84379-4.jpg

Okay Tamiya, make a m-chassis version of this then please..
sakadachi is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:34 PM
  #26412  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
(0000000000)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,180
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

http://cdn.rcmart.com/images/3rac_tt01-38_004.jpg
(0000000000) is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 PM
  #26413  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Those were a horror to drive!
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 12-20-2015, 04:30 AM
  #26414  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,410
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Woo! Horizontally mounted motor shaft drive. nice!

...URL snipped due to low post count...

Okay Tamiya, make a m-chassis version of this then please..
I don't think I've ever seen a "vertically mounted motor shaft drive". The word you were looking for is "perpendicularly".
gigaplex is offline  
Old 12-20-2015, 04:47 AM
  #26415  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You know what I meant...and probably know why that position is better.
sakadachi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.