Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

from what I saw throughout the entire week, we all were using the 1600SP Tamiya NiCad.

World Final Rules called out that the 'max limit' for capacity was 1600mah..

For your local club racing I would just use whatever gives you good voltage. Within club rule, of course...
oh, sorry, i saw your post ...but thought that was from an event years ago. Nicad batteries!

okay, i'll stick w/ my 2s lipo.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm still curious about what kind of machining was done to chassis. Didn't believe anything like that was allowed.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Every time I see that NiCd it cracks me up.
WTF is Tamiya thinking.. sport packs are even harder to get a level playing field imho.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Here is a small excerpt of "General Regulations" from the Tamiya World Championships 2015 Tamiya Grand Prix Official R/C Car Race Driver's File...

General Regulations (Ask Race Officials if you have any questions.)

■ Inspections will be very strict. Please make sure your machine does not violate any regulations.
■ Tamiya R/C World Championships may have regulations which differ from those in the local qualifying races of your respective countries/regions. Please take note of these differences.
★ All chassis, bodies, and parts must be Tamiya products. Other manufacturers' products are not permitted. Parts must be used as indicated in the product instruction manuals. Making holes, shaving down parts, and removing parts for the purpose of saving weight is permitted. Adding reinforcement or other homemade parts is not permitted.
★ It is OK if you choose to use a different spec chassis for the Tamiya R/C World Championships than the one you used at your local qualifying races.
General Regulations (Ask Race Officials if you have any questions.)

Control Tires
All classes must use control tires that are distributed at the venue.
These control tires must be used for Practice, Qualifying, and Finals. Control tires will be monitored by Race Officials and they cannot be taken back to the Pit Area. You can only clean tires under the supervision of Race Officials and you can only use the provided Tamiya RC Cleaner Spray (Item 87039) and paper towels to do so.

Control Motors (Formula, M-Sport, Junior)
Drivers in these 3 classes must use the motor included in “Tire+Motor Set” for Qualifying and Finals. During Practice Sessions, drivers may use their own motor as long as it is of the same type.
※ Control motors cannot leave the Pit Area. Motors will be collected at the end of each day on the 20th and 21st.

Transmitters
Drivers will be responsible for looking after their own transmitters as they will not be collected. Please be careful when switching on transmitters in the Pit Area. Cars cannot be driven anywhere besides the course itself.

☆ Parts such as small fans that are attached for cooling purposes are not permitted.
☆ In Qualifying Heats and Finals, batteries must be Tamiya products. During Practice Sessions, drivers may use
their own battery as long as it is of the same type. No modifications are permitted (no changing connectors, no adding solder, etc.). Batteries with an additional shrink tube casing are also not permitted.
★ Drivers are requested not to use Spektrum transmitters, as these have been found to interfere with venue equipment. Using another manufacturer's sensor cable for a brushless ESC is not permitted (cable modification, or use of sensor cable in VOLAC Brushless BL2 ESC are also not permitted).
★ Tires, inner foams, and wheels cannot be modified. However, if a wheel rib makes contact with suspension arms, the wheel rib may be shaved down. Modification of the tire shoulder on rubber tires is not permitted. Tire warmers (anything that increases tire temperature) and battery warmers (anything that increases battery temperature) are not permitted, and must not be brought into the venue.
★ Separate receiver power source is not permitted. Capacitors connecting directly to the receiver are also forbidden.
★ Drivers with brushed motors may use following KO Propo products: 1 of "Ultimate Booster 180A" or "Ultimate Shotki Diode" (Single or Double). "Ultimate Condensor 35V" may be used on the ESC. Other products are strictly prohibited.
★ Changing the capacitor for a brushless ESC or using another manufacturer's capacitor is not permitted.
★ Reinforcing the Servo Saver by attaching a servo saver spring to the outside is permitted (1pc. only). However, cementing or modifying the Servo Saver into a direct type is not permitted. Using nylon bands for securing or
reinforcement purposes is also not permitted.
★ Active Steering Assist Unit TGU-01 (Item 54417) may only be used in TRF and Formula classes.
Use of devices from other makers with similar effects is not permitted.
★ Aluminum Direct Servo Horns (Items 42248, 42249) may only be used in TRF class. Drivers in other classes should use Tamiya hi-torque servo saver etc.
★ Altering the installation positions of servo stays is not permitted.
★ Battery dischargers which discharge each individual cell cannot be used. Battery packs which have holes in their casings or signs of tampering cannot be used.
★ Bodies and wings must be cut as instructed in the instruction manuals and no modifications are permitted. All wings and body windows must be painted. If employing a driver figure, it must be painted.
★ For gear diff units, Tamiya damper oil, diff oil, or gear diff putty/grease can be used.
★ Cars which have passed inspection will be marked with a seal by Race Officials. Cars without this seal will not be allowed to participate in Qualifying and Finals. You may have a spare car, but it also has to be inspected by Race
Officials, and it must be of the same chassis type as the main car (except F104WGP & F104 ver.2 pair).
★ If a machine, battery, motor, etc. violates the race regulations, the Driver using them must bear responsibility.

Make sure you understand all regulations and prepare your machine accordingly.
★ Every year, there are disqualifications due to weight violations. Scales will be available to allow Drivers to weigh their cars at any time. (There are no regulations regarding adding ballast to meet the minimum weight.)

Minimum Weight Requirements By Class:
● TRF, GT, Junior: 1,400g ● M-Sport: 1,300g ● Formula: 1,100g
Minimum weight requirements are exclusive of AMB transponder.
★ Re-inspections will occur frequently and batteries may be cut to inspect battery cells. Motors will be checked for KV and Max RPM. Violations will result in disqualification.
★ Voltage of LF-6.6V batteries will be checked prior to each Heat. If the voltage limit (7.3V) is exceeded, you will be required to reduce the battery voltage to below 7.3V or else you cannot participate in the Heat.

M-Sport Min.Weight: 1,300g Min.Ground Clearance 5mm Battery: Up to 1600SP TGU-01 Not Permitted

★ Allowed Chassis: M-05 Ver.II, M-05, M-06
★ Allowed Bodies (M-05 Ver.II, M-05): JCW Coupe, Honda CR-X, Mini Cooper (except 2002), Swift, MiTo, Fiat Abarth 500 Assetto Corse
Allowed Bodies (M-06): RX-7, Alpine A110, S800, Alfa Romeo GTA, Nissan Silvia (S13, S15), VW Beetle, Lowride Pumpkin (Resin body)
★ Only Lightly-Tuned Motor (Item 53983) included as control motor in “Tire+Motor Set” can be used for Qualifying and Finals. You may use your own motor for Practice Sessions, as long as it is of the same type.
★ Choose from the gear ratios listed in the instruction manual.
★ Only control tires can be used. Control tires must be used for Practice, Qualifying, and Finals.
★ Front Upper Arm can only be Part C18 (from M-05 Chassis) or Item 54529 M-05 Setting Suspension Arm Set (Front Upper). Rear Upper Arm can be the M-05 chassis’ Part C16 or of equivalent length (Item 54182, etc.).
★ Parts D2 and D3 (M-05 Ver.II, M-05) cannot be removed, and must be firmly secured using screws. If using Middle or Short wheelbases, Part D1 (M-05 Ver.II, M-05) cannot be removed.
★ Adjustment of the Rear Damper Stay's height is not permitted.
★ Front and Rear ball-head suspension shafts may not be used on the wrong end of the chassis.
★ Special parts such as front ball-head suspension shafts included in M-05 Gold Edition Kit and clamp-type rear upright weight included in M-06R Kit may be used.
★ Use of Active Steering Assist Unit TGU-01 (Item 54417) is not permitted.
★ Aluminum Direct Servo Horns (Items 42248, 42249) may not be used.

I would attach the PDF but file size is too large

Last edited by rtypec; 12-07-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

monkeyracing, you got bigger problems than some machining work..."Drivers are requested not to use Spektrum transmitters."
Old 12-07-2015, 12:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Truly weird rules. Extremely strict in most aspects (eg: roll bars on m05 must be installed) but permissive as far as Swiss-cheesing the chassis. Kind of pointless really, as it'd be around 1300g as built anyway.

If anyone's got photos, I'd love to see them. As far as no Spektrum radios, that's just goofy.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
Dont get it confused.. For Regionals/Nationals here in the 'States we use Brushless and LiPo

For the World Finals we used:

wow… I still have my motor lathe and silver brushes laying around. Very disappointing Tamiya USA is mandating us to still use brushless motors when the Tamiya championship uses brushed. Just seems to me we should all be using a consistent product. I just ordered my Reedy motors for 2016 season. I guess the other motors will make for nice paperweights.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

is there a link to the overall race results for all classes?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
is there a link to the overall race results for all classes?
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/cms/tami...-20151122.html
Old 12-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Just got back from the 4th leg of the WCICS in Canada. I turned out the fastest laps (only mini to hit 11 second laps). But I also had spectacular run-ins with lapped traffic. End result was a 3rd place podium finish, so I can't be upset.

As with most Canadians, I run the spec Orca combo, and a variation of the HPRT setup in my Ver.1 M05. My list of variations included:

- Yeah Racing Red springs in front, Yeah Racing Blue springs in back.
- medium rear swaybar, none in front
- 2.5 million inside 3racing diff
- M-grips all around, with little CA on front outside tread
- 7mm hexes in front, 4mm hexes in rear.

The Yeah Racing springs are similar to the matching Tamiya springs, but cheaper and cooler looking (because they are black). The thicker diff and oil dampening lead to less roll while carrying plenty more speed through the infield. The M-grips seemed to be the biggest factor in carrying more speed through the corners. This was very noticeable coming out of turns, where I had more throttle than others.

A similar effect could have been achieved by adding more CA to the s-grips. But that would in turn make the S-grips work harder and wear out much faster. In my previous WCICS, the vehicle was inconsistent due to the s-grips wearing out.

The wide hexes in front kept the front end smooth and stable, while the thinner rears allowed the car to rotate better.

I was very happy with the results. I need to work on avoiding some infield traffic, but i am happy to know that i was the fastest car on the track otherwise.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Just got back from the 4th leg of the WCICS in Canada. I turned out the fastest laps (only mini to hit 11 second laps). But I also had spectacular run-ins with lapped traffic. End result was a 3rd place podium finish, so I can't be upset.

As with most Canadians, I run the spec Orca combo, and a variation of the HPRT setup in my Ver.1 M05. My list of variations included:

- Yeah Racing Red springs in front, Yeah Racing Blue springs in back.
- medium rear swaybar, none in front
- 2.5 million inside 3racing diff
- M-grips all around, with little CA on front outside tread
- 7mm hexes in front, 4mm hexes in rear.

The Yeah Racing springs are similar to the matching Tamiya springs, but cheaper and cooler looking (because they are black). The thicker diff and oil dampening lead to less roll while carrying plenty more speed through the infield. The M-grips seemed to be the biggest factor in carrying more speed through the corners. This was very noticeable coming out of turns, where I had more throttle than others.

A similar effect could have been achieved by adding more CA to the s-grips. But that would in turn make the S-grips work harder and wear out much faster. In my previous WCICS, the vehicle was inconsistent due to the s-grips wearing out.

The wide hexes in front kept the front end smooth and stable, while the thinner rears allowed the car to rotate better.

I was very happy with the results. I need to work on avoiding some infield traffic, but i am happy to know that i was the fastest car on the track otherwise.

Don't forget you were one lap down from the leader..
still good 3th finish position
Just giving you a hard time ..sorry
Old 12-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Franko....that was pretty harsh....
Old 12-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Franko:

Bring a mini to Victoria

Last edited by (0000000000); 12-08-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:01 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Franko:

Bring a mini to Victoria
That would be fun...But I don't know what I am doing ,I am still learning about the set up

I will do my best just for you..buddy
Old 12-08-2015, 10:11 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Franko....that was pretty harsh....
I know I was being an A$$.. please forget me . But dont worry ,when it come to the mini I suck ask Ryan lol

Last edited by OVA; 12-08-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.