Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 12-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
What possessed Tamiya to spec a 1600mah Nicad? Super cheap, old school battery tech and some clown decides TCS in the US needs a $90 spec motor. I sense an ideological fracture between the mothership and Tamiya USA.

Perhaps common sense and a fair middle ground can be found in Hawaii?
Yep, I had to laugh at that. Modern high tech motor, yet power come from back 1985.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dont get it confused.. For Regionals/Nationals here in the 'States we use Brushless and LiPo

For the World Finals we used:

Old 12-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. But still, the huge gap to the future TCS requirement is laughable.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That's what I'm getting at. The ideological gap between Japan and US is incredible. It may even be charming, in a way. The US could still use lipo and brushless and meet Tamiya's ideals halfway by adopting a cheap spec lipo and a cheap spec brushless motor.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The other thing that I noticed...

People here say Mini class is supposed to be cheap and fun and affordable.. Which I agree with to a point. And relatively it is.

When you see how serious the guys at the Worlds are you will think twice about that claim.. They take it very serious just like any other class. I had just TWO battery pacs. Everyother pit I saw had a minimum of 6-8. Yes, one-run batteries like back in the day. Kang (M-chassis World Champion) even gave me a battery at the event, just before the Mains, because he was certain it was 'better' than the pacs I brought with me. (I was pitting directly across from Kang at the Internaional Drivers table) Their race machines were in some cases works of art and machined (to reduce weight) to perfection. Motor dynos and all these fluids to get the most out of them.

So yes they like to 'have fun' in the mini class. Winning is fun.

Just a heads up if you are fortunate enough to make the cut and go.

$0.02
Old 12-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman
The other thing that I noticed...

People here say Mini class is supposed to be cheap and fun and affordable.. Which I agree with to a point. And relatively it is.

When you see how serious the guys at the Worlds are you will think twice about that claim.. They take it very serious just like any other class. I had just TWO battery pacs. Everyother pit I saw had a minimum of 6-8. Yes, one-run batteries like back in the day. Kang (M-chassis World Champion) even gave me a battery at the event, just before the Mains, because he was certain it was 'better' than the pacs I brought with me. (I was pitting directly across from Kang at the Internaional Drivers table) Their race machines were in some cases works of art and machined (to reduce weight) to perfection. Motor dynos and all these fluids to get the most out of them.

So yes they like to 'have fun' in the mini class. Winning is fun.

Just a heads up if you are fortunate enough to make the cut and go.

$0.02
As for the seriousness, you have to remember these are the Championships, so I would expect the level of seriousness to increase ten fold! These guys that made the cut are the
Best of the Best and I'm sure that if you saw these guys at their local tracks. Their setups would be abit more relaxed! Unless they are totally psychos!
Oh and btw
Congrats for Representing The USA! Great Job!
Old 12-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WRONG !!! Stiffness, track width , roll center+ low CG, and laminar shock flow are more important.... Check Rc Crew Chief buddy....
Traction roll has more to do with sidewall roll/bite and ride height than spring stiffness.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 12-04-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Speaking of going back in time, I received the BSR M-chassis today. For $80 shipped, it is amazing how much hopup features they included as standard parts even if it is a dated design from back 15-20yrs ago.

Will build it during my winter break in a few weeks.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

[QUOTE=OSherman;14292746]Their race machines were in some cases works of art and machined (to reduce weight) to perfection. Motor dynos and all these fluids to get the most out of them. /QUOTE]

I'm really curious about the machining part. I thought machining/drilling for weight reduction were no-nos. Any pictures? Better yet, got a copy of the Japanese rules? I'm really interested.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fritzthecat
Are there more setup sheets available?
does kang in-mo use plastic or alloy dampers?
spec tires used m grip with super hard foams right?

Thank you
Tamiya usually only release the winner's set-up sheet in each class.
They do this for the Japanese qualifying rounds also.

Kang used Alloy TRF dampers.

And, yes he used M-Grips and Super-Hard foams all round.

Interestingly he ran the M06R hub weights on the rear as well as an extended ARB and the 54542 lower suspension mount.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:22 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm looking at getting back into RC after a lengthy break . My local indoor club runs a box stock mini class with no mods allowed at all . They only allow base model kits as well , pro kits are not allowed . The rules are simple in that if it didn't come in the kit then you can't use it . Has anyone else raced under these rules ? Does anyone have a base set up that they want to share ? Any tips anyone ?
Old 12-06-2015, 02:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool

What possessed Tamiya to spec a 1600mah Nicad? Super cheap, old school battery tech and some clown decides TCS in the US needs a $90 spec motor. I sense an ideological fracture between the mothership and Tamiya USA.

Perhaps common sense and a fair middle ground can be found in Hawaii?
A fracture? Ya think?
Old 12-06-2015, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1969camaro
I'm looking at getting back into RC after a lengthy break . My local indoor club runs a box stock mini class with no mods allowed at all . They only allow base model kits as well , pro kits are not allowed . The rules are simple in that if it didn't come in the kit then you can't use it . Has anyone else raced under these rules ? Does anyone have a base set up that they want to share ? Any tips anyone ?
This kind of limits you to the M05 kit then?
And with no mods allowed, I suggest you build per instructions, give it some rake, and run a round housing Peak brand 2S lipo. Will be much faster than NiMH.

GL at the races.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OSherman
i was surprised how 'soft' the guys in Japan were running their M-chassis... i should have stuck to my original plan..

oh well, live and learn...

im certain they were drilling pistons too... if not oil weight down into the 25-30 range...
Drilling the pistons is not allowed, it's specifically referred to in the Tamiya Grand Prix vehicle rules Additional Details 2015 under Suspension.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi
This kind of limits you to the M05 kit then?
And with no mods allowed, I suggest you build per instructions, give it some rake, and run a round housing Peak brand 2S lipo. Will be much faster than NiMH.

GL at the races.
He won't be able to use a Lipo with the kit ESC, NiMh or LiFe only.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.