Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Hi Orlando,
First, congratulations. You drove a perfectly tuned car perfectly. You are the man... and a darned nice man too. Hey, we wear the same flip-flops, maybe something good will rub off.
Second, since you seem to be in such a talkative mood these days, can you help this traction-rolling old fool in the M03 you lapped several times over the weekend. Late in the 2nd Main you caught me just coming onto the straight (I started 6th, so that's how much track you gained). I gave you the inside and we drag-raced to the sweeper. Our cars were virtually dead heat. You didn't win because your car was faster, but when we hit the sweeper, you were gone. If I tried your line, I was in for a roll. Coming out of the sweeper, if I wasn't super careful with car placement, and full throttle, I was in for a roll. Ditto the inner right-hander. By the time I got to the top of the track, I was so unsure of which way it might roll, I had to pussy-foot my way thru looking like an old dope.
For next year I'm going to M05. Your black-on-black pictures only show some basics. What do you do with your shocks, so I won't have a repeat of this year?

Grandpa,
I know you've given away your cars and stuff, but please, if you can, come by the track and hang out for awhile. We really miss you!

Craig
that, my friend, is the rite question

its all in the droop... i ended up running very little. and this is something you will have to play with for your driving style. also o-ring on the shock-shaft as a jounce-bumper.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
that, my friend, is the rite question

its all in the droop... i ended up running very little. and this is something you will have to play with for your driving style. also o-ring on the shock-shaft as a jounce-bumper.
Picture of the chassis your Mini you ran in the Worlds?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sipaboy
Picture of the chassis your Mini you ran in the Worlds?

I have not run the Worlds yet...

my Tamiya USA Nationals chassis is a few pages back <--
Old 09-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This past Sunday, TGR (well, only Golddust and a replacement driver , I'm on the IR list for the next 6 weeks minimum) ran in The Mega Mini Madness race at Jackson Rc in Jackson, NJ.
Guys this is a great facility to race minis. If you can get there, do it. The crew there runs a excellent Program!
Anyway the MMM race was everything it was billed up as. A total knife fight in a small elevator!
I think it was something like 20 minis in the final 3 A mains and 16 in the final 3 B mains!
Golddust made the B and that had some of the best drivers in it from the area!
The A main drivers totally earned those spots in the A Main!
In the final main for Golddust, his body had a massive hole in the front end and his engine
Went into thermal shut down. I'm still trying to figure that out (maybe someone can comment on this)
I'm thinking that hole created some type of heat effects during that final race causing this thermal shutdown. Because he was running great in the earlier quals and mains. The temps actually dropped a bit from the daytime hot and sunny conditions!
But the humidity picked up...
Anyway a great time was had by all of TGR and we cannot wait for the next one!
Hopefully I'll be off the injured reserve by then!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:19 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah Racing wide span suspension anyone? Durability? Performance? Comparision to Tamiya hard suspension arms? Specifik front knuckles or same size as Tamiya?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

The last Yeah racing I bought was missing critical parts so no more!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

not a huge fan of Yeah Racing either, ..same w/ 3Racing. ...you can get away w/ certain things from these co's ...but in my opinion Tamiya's parts are a bit nicer/better quality, build and design. (however I have found a few errors w/ Tamiya so they aren't perfect).
Old 09-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Generally, the HK stuff is decent, and sometimes better, but not without some minor flaws.

Direct bolt-on parts, like heatsink, CF towers, Allen screws, no problem. Cheaper price than tamiya, for something that appears to be manufactured from the same OEM.

The shocks are not as good as the TRF's. But because they are a fraction of the price, changing the o rings & bladders to TRF is a very cost effective DIY mod.

The sealed gear diff and CVD's from 3racing are, in my opinion, better than anything Tamiya offers.

A lot of ppl in this thread are Tamiya purists or are influenced by TCS requirements. But aftermarket parts are around for a reason. Part of the fun is making your ride unique.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As far as Yeah Racing goes, avoid suspension arms and perhaps these ones specifically. I've never found their lower control arms to be made of anything stronger than soft cheese. Their C hubs are good, as are the uprights, axles, etc. but for some reason, their lower control arms are always crap.

Interesting note: RcMart and Yeah Racing are the same company.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

The 3Racing rear 1 degree toe-in uprights I recently got for my M03 is pretty good. I didn't mind that.

BTW, I went back 3yrs to read your back and forth on brushless motors since I'm still pre-2012 as far as ESC's and brushless motors go.

For now, I'm going to try the 17.5 Thunder Power in my SabreMini4WD to see if the TBLE02-s tries to thermal shutdown with zero timing. The last time I tried my Reedy 21.5 with 36+ advance, the TBLE02-S was giving me all sorts of inconsistent power from over heating. Next up, I am getting the GTB3 (novak) for my V2 and try the Reedy 21.5 with 40 degree timing. The thing is just too darn slow.

Once I have this down, going to look at getting a new TC.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Always thought that - thanks for clearing it up Jim.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
A lot of ppl in this thread are Tamiya purists or are influenced by TCS requirements. But aftermarket parts are around for a reason. Part of the fun is making your ride unique.
The yeah racing stuff that came on my car doesnt look bad. I am converting all of the Yeah Racing parts to Tamiya to conform to be be TCS legal. I am not sure how much TCS racing I will do, but want it legal when the time comes!
Old 09-03-2015, 01:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Very interesting.

I have used both yeah racing and 3 racing. I find 3racing to much higher quality. I would never buy another yeah racing universal drive shaft. My dad and I each went through two sets in less than two weeks, swapped to 3racing and we haven't broken one in the six or seven months since installing.

I also love the 3racing sealed gear diff, but the stock outdrives are too soft and should be replaced by the hardened version.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by filippimini
...swapped to 3racing and we haven't broken one in the six or seven months since installing.

I also love the 3racing sealed gear diff, but the stock outdrives are too soft and should be replaced by the hardened version.
3Racing unis are very nice and I've found are interchangeable with Tamiya ones, at a much lower price.

For the 3Racing gear diff, get the HD out drives from the Sakura TC. They're stronger and don't require you to use plastic blades on the dog bones, either.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

So confusing when Chinese manufacturers start using Japanese names. You'd think it might be from Japan but they aren't. Better yet, I didn't know MuchMoreRacing was Japanese.

At least we have product support from everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.