Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yep, looks like the genuine article Jim.

I havent found mine yet to scan for you, its 'under the house somewhere' amongst the many millions of minis and mini parts....

And Mike has pretty much confirmed what I said. You guys run on sticky carpet. Most people don't...the surface makes a huge difference. Although even on a sticky surface I'd still run an M03 anyway... hee hee
Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey Tony,

Just so I can understand better what are the surface differences that we're talking about here? Are we talking ozite carpet vs. unprepared asphalt? Indoor vs outdoor? I'm asking not to try to challenge you on your thinking but rather to understand better .

I think there is a very real regional difference that comes into play here. What is 'normal' for you guys in Australia appears to be very different from what we consider 'normal' here in Western Canada as most of the tracks that I race at around Western Canada are very similar in nature (CRC ozite carpet, good to very good grip, 100'x80', etc.) and it's certainly not just one specific track where I'm seeing the M06's excel.

I have alot of respect for what you and your crew have done to further the cause of racing mini's (you guys were the model we used for adopting a spec brushless system for our Western Canadian Indoor Carpet Series races!) and I have no doubt that what you are saying is true under the circumstances that you guys race under...I certainly wasn't trying to suggest otherwise! I was just trying to put forth my experiences which differ from yours as it might help others who find themselves in similar circumstances to mine.

Cheers,
Mike

Originally Posted by tony gray
Exceptional circumstances Mike..

I know the track you guys race on, and that sort of surface is very much the exception rather than the rule.

On a 'normal' track (is there such a thing?) what I said stands true. Certainly on our own home track an M06 wouldnt get within a lap of a FWD car, if that.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Don't worry about the manual. It's not that important. More of an OCD thing n my part, probably. Thanks! Besides, I suspect you've got a bunch of stuff to paint.

Jim
Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Outdoor, unprepared asphalt. Albeit purpose built tracks though.

Your version of 'normal' is unfortunately a regional thing as you said. Indoor carpet racing (no doubt a necesssity where you guys are!) is unknown here, it just doesnt happen.

Thats why I said your M06 comments were 'exceptional circumstances' Like us down under, most people have to deal with low grip outdoor tracks.

I'm not disagreeing with your findings at all, in fact in our review on the 06 I'm sure I even said that on a high grip surface the car would work very well indeed.
I wasn't in Sing for the Tamiya Asia Cup, but Tim was and he said that 06's struggled there - once again grip-related.

It is, all about the surface.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I can't even imagine how short our season would be if all we had were outdoor tracks...I think this year we'd have had about 3 months of running between the snow and rain this spring and early summer and the cooler temps now! There are many things I like about being Canadian, but our weather ain't one of them ...at least the skiing rocks!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tony gray
Bob, backed up by what we saw at Tamiya Asia Cup finals on the weekend in Singapore. Lots of people attempting to run with M06's and while they were ok...the moment the car got off line, got involved in a braking duel, or got involved in some biff/bashing, then it was bye bye...

In racing terms the FWD's (03 or 05) are better in 99.9% of circumstances. Like you, I still prefer the 03 (WAY simpler to work on) Plus it seems to annoy people that I still run the old school car...
Tony, that's good. I'll have to add the annoyance factor to my reasons for preferring the 03 to the 05. There are many other reasons such as it's about $100 less to upgrade he 03. Others are the 05 is too tail heavy, chassis tuning envelop is wider on the 03 compared to the 05, steering linkage is more precise on the 03 and most important of all, it's just plain faster on most track surfaces except the ultra hi grip surfaces like carpet. For those still running a Silvercan, the motors run much cooler in the 03.

I will admit that the 05 has two significant advantages. Cosmetically the 05 is just a better looking chassis. And the other is that installing the electronics is much easier and cleaner appearing. With the new, smaller electronis though, you can install the electronics within the rear half of the chassis, but that requires more work than on the 05.

Now, let's go out and annoy some people with our 03s.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Granpa
Tony, that's good. I'll have to add the annoyance factor to my reasons for preferring the 03 to the 05. There are many other reasons such as it's about $100 less to upgrade he 03. Others are the 05 is too tail heavy, chassis tuning envelop is wider on the 03 compared to the 05, steering linkage is more precise on the 03 and most important of all, it's just plain faster on most track surfaces except the ultra hi grip surfaces like carpet. For those still running a Silvercan, the motors run much cooler in the 03.

I will admit that the 05 has two significant advantages. Cosmetically the 05 is just a better looking chassis. And the other is that installing the electronics is much easier and cleaner appearing. With the new, smaller electronis though, you can install the electronics within the rear half of the chassis, but that requires more work than on the 05.

Now, let's go out and annoy some people with our 03s.

just curious but how is it the motors run cooler on the 03 to the 05, when the ratios are the same and the 05 having all the extra heat sink plates and bars on it
Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by I)arkness
just curious but how is it the motors run cooler on the 03 to the 05, when the ratios are the same and the 05 having all the extra heat sink plates and bars on it
Just examine the silvercan motors when installed in their respective chassis. When you do you'll see that hole for the motor is smaller in the M05 so it fits around the motor slightly tighter. Also more of the motor is exposed in the M03 than in the M05. Covering up more of the motor and having less air gap around the motor will cause the motor to run hotter in the M05. There is about a 15 to 20 degree difference if you temp the motors at the end bell.

Hope you understood my explanation, but a careful examination of the two cars with their motors installed will clear up any confusion.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Smile

Hello Bob,

Great post, but no bite from me. I will stick to the MO5.

BTW,

You older guy's are alright. Just takes longer for you guy's to accept new toys.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by caltek1
Hello Bob,

Great post, but no bite from me. I will stick to the MO5.

BTW,

You older guy's are alright. Just takes longer for you guy's to accept new toys.

Later,

Calvin.
Hey Calvin. That's okay by me cause at my advanced age I need every advantage I can get. So you youngsters can race your M05s and spot me .2-.3 sec per lap. I accept the gift with a great deal of gratitude and humility. In fact, every M05 I see in the hands of a competitor, fills my heart with such joy and elation that they would give me such a gift. What kindness they are showing to an old man. All the way to the bank
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Just got my M05 ready for the track. Last time she'll look this clean

Thanks to HKS Hobbies for the hookup on the tires/wheels!

Clay
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-imag0345.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-imag0347.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Are those ATOMIC tires and rims? I love dish rims. Also anyone know if I can use ABC rims with my sweeps?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Tech Regular

Matthias,

I'm referring to indoor carpet racing where the tracks are what I would call moderately large (80-100ft x 60ft with 8ft wide lanes where possible) with moderate to high grip, although certainly not crazy high grip.

Most of us (although I can't say for sure, all of us) running the M06 run something very close to the kit setup. I for one am running EXACTLY the kit setup including the S-Grip rear/harder kit tire front tire setup.

I'm not for a second suggestion that there aren't competitive M05's and M03's that I race with and the front-drivers are definitely easier to drive and more stable with on-track "dicing" but for me and for several other guys I race with the M06 has a very real speed advantage on the tracks that we race on.
Thanks for the infos Mike,
so your conditions are also te standard for me!
And I began also running with kit setup with good success on carpet.
I also trust on S-Grips 60D in the meantime, as I had poor success with the superslicks, as they were not as distinct and precise to drive as the radials.
Nevertheless, I will optimize this winter season the setup. As we run still blackcans, I can reduce oil viscosity a bit. Because hitting a dish with kit setup bumps you totally off the track...

But I agree also with Tony gray and the others:
On low grip conditions, the FWD´s will give the leading pace...

Because of that and for my collection, I ordered now the new Rally-Renault 5 Turbo (looks so cool), to stand beside my M02´s (one RWD/ one FWD converted), my M04 and my recent M06...

Regards from sunny Germany,
Matthias
Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I want to get titanium turnbuckle for my M05pro.
They come in different lenghts 18mm, 23mm, 32mm...which lengh should I get for the front steering and rear chamber adjustment?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by notch johnson
Are those ATOMIC tires and rims? I love dish rims. Also anyone know if I can use ABC rims with my sweeps?
You can mount Sweeps on any Mini size rims. ABC makes a lot of nice looking rims, but I prefer the Sweep rim or the old HPI 5 spoke nylon rim. They just seem to be more durable. Calvin had a rim that he was touting, but can't remember what they were. Been meaning to try them, but still have a good supply of the Sweep and HPI rims.

Spice makes a dish rim, but I found some that just didn't run true. Gave up on those a while back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.