Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Steve- Try using a firmer insert, tires that are more worn down, or thicker shock oil. I've also seen this happen when the body posts are fatiguing and the rear wheels skid on the inside of the body. Also try rear sway bar only with the black bar.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Aaaa Grasshopper,

I think you hit on something with that body mount suggestion. I'll bet my body is touching the tire on hard corners and that is why it chatters. May not have anything to do with the chassis.

Doc, Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Tech Master

Hey,

I'm planning on getting an M03 or an M04 for goofing around with my leftover TC foams on carpet, running the local Hobbytown races this summer and TCS (I might make a run at the North American finals this year) For club racing though, which car is generally quicker around the track, the M03 with the Mini wheels/tires or an M04 with TC wheels/tires? I have a bunch of TC tires around but no plans to run a lot of touring car

And, What is the internal ratio of these little suckers? How big is the spur gear?

Thanks
-Dan
Old 12-10-2005, 12:57 AM
jas
Tech Apprentice

Does TCS dictate the shock oil, grease, etc to Tamiya brand only?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Tamiya TCS racing doesn't dictate oil or grease types.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

SPEED ISSUES

G'day,
I am currently running a MO3L fitted witha TAO 3 Balldiff that is set up tight. Whenever I go through semi tight corners the car tends to lose speed. This allows others to catch up. I am running 60d's up front with 24mm insert and foam. I am also using the CVA mini shocks short with three internal o- rings 70 wt oil and blue short TRF shocks. The rear is 40 wt, three internal o-rings and red short TRF shocks. I have disconnected the swaybars both front and rear. Previously had the thick swaybars fitted to each end.

I am thinking of trying the thin swaybar up front to see if this will help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
Calvin.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I was wondering if anyone had a list of parts that would be needed to convert the fwd mini to rwd? Has anyone done this before. I would guess a mix mo3 and mo4 parts??
Old 12-10-2005, 09:42 PM
jas
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Tamiya TCS racing doesn't dictate oil or grease types.
I see. Thank you.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tunnelhead
I was wondering if anyone had a list of parts that would be needed to convert the fwd mini to rwd? Has anyone done this before. I would guess a mix mo3 and mo4 parts??
It's mostly just the chassis. Almost everything else is the same...the gears, arms, axles, you name it. They have instructions and parts lists on tamiyausa.com. My Mo4 is made out of my Mo3.

You guys running Minis this Friday? If you do, I'll come up...going up there for Sunday anyways.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

To bad, my mini is in the shop for a major overhaul. New chassis, ball diff, bearings and all kind of other goodies. My little 3 year old has taken it over. I need to install my spare JR radio in it to turn the end point down on the throttle. I sure would like to get a mini class going. We will be racing in Arroyo Grande on the 18th of Dec.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You know how to get one going?

Put yours together and get someone else to race with you.

How about running them Sunday at AG? I'll bring mine if you guys have power...
Old 12-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

I dont know if mine will be done by the 18th. Yes we do have power. Bring a small extension cord so you can plug in. I hope to have it done by January. I thought I was all done ordering parts. Went looking at the Tamiya site and found an article by David Beale on how to prepair your M03L for the Tamiya cup or just racing in general. Hope to have it done soon. I know 2 other guys and I have minis that race outdoors with us. Soon. The mini worked great on Friday nights when we would be racing. People would come in to watch from just walking down the street. Throw the controler in there hand an let them run it. They couldnt hurt it. Pretty damn tuff they are. Only thing I bent was the front steering knuckle. I think that is what it is called. Slapping the wall flush.hehehe what fun.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltech1
G'day,
I am currently running a MO3L fitted witha TAO 3 Balldiff that is set up tight. Whenever I go through semi tight corners the car tends to lose speed. This allows others to catch up. I am running 60d's up front with 24mm insert and foam. I am also using the CVA mini shocks short with three internal o- rings 70 wt oil and blue short TRF shocks. The rear is 40 wt, three internal o-rings and red short TRF shocks. I have disconnected the swaybars both front and rear. Previously had the thick swaybars fitted to each end.

I am thinking of trying the thin swaybar up front to see if this will help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
Calvin.
I`m running on smooth asphalt indoors. I run 2 hole pistons with 60 w. oil all around. Short red springs up front and lt blues in the rear no sway bars, M grip radials up front and 60D. Slicks in the rear. Traction compound all 4 tires. I am running the short car.Irun the ball diff also, and have no problem with corner speed! It is locked up tight (diff) Just for grinns one day I tried a modified ta02 one way, wow does that thing coast. And talk about corner speed!

Paul...................
Old 12-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steven Key
I have a set up question for you Mini experts.

I am running a M03 and the rear end of the car chatters during hard cornering on high traction carpet.

Here is my current set-up.
Front:
Blue short springs, no spacers
Ride height 4mm
60 wt., two hole piston, 4 black O rings as travel limiters
S grips over stuffed with black shaped insert over light grey foam
Black, medium sway bar
Universals drives
TA03 ball diff
Aluminum steering knuckes
Rear:
White short springs, 2mm spacer
Ride height 6mm
40 wt., two hole piston, 4 black O rings to limit travel
Slicks, with black foam inserts
Silver, heavy sway bar
0 degree rear blocks

Any suggestions on how to get the car to go through the corners smoother. The chattering really scrubs speed.
With 4 mm. ride height and 4-0 rings in the shocks, that meens that you only have like .5 of up-travel . That will create chatter in the corners on a mini. If the other peoples suggestions dont work try taking out 1 of the 0 rings.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Slotmachine,

Thanks for the suggestion I will try that tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.