Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

9 Mini Coopers were run last night at SoCal (www.socalrc.com) and several people known to have Mini's were missing. Many of you have said that you have Mini's - bring them out on Tue nights! We've not had less than 5 each Tue for the last 2 months.

We run Tueday nights, silver can motors, roughly follow TCS rules, and allow non-Tamiya mini sized tires (HPI x-patterns, etc).

Any more and we might split into Intermediate and Sportsman class Mini's.
Bring'em out!

Jeff Smith
Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

I was soo hoping to make it, but was up till 1:30am wiring it up. I only have to paint the body, and glue some tires tonight. Who won ? Any chance of running a class on Sat ? I heard last Sat had one. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jw92656
Who won ? Any chance of running a class on Sat ? I heard last Sat had one. Thanks.
Dennis Lyman and Deven White battled but in the main Deven's ESC gave him fits and Dennis won. Kevin Niino 2nd, Lee Cauldwell 3rd, Deven 4th, Jeff Smith, John Curtin, I forgot 7th's name, Bob K then Don Barry. A great time was had by all (except probably a fustrated Deven!)

3 buddies ran on Saturday, they ran with 27T Stock motors. Sat may be hit or miss for enough for a class. This Sat is the off-road yearly Supper-Cross so no on-road at SoCal this Saturday.

Jeff

Last edited by RaceBucks; 11-30-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi guys! I have bitten by the mini bug. I started out with the rtr kit. It is pretty well used. So I ordered a buch of parts. New kit chassis, parts trees b and c I think they were. Ball diffs, bearings universals. Sport tuned motor. I am looking for better shocks then the friction shocks. part number? What other things are worth getting? Mainly I run on a indoor carpet track where I work at. CRC carpet 25'x60'. Use it mainly for micros, but I am taking the track over with my mini. 3-5 minis would be one heck of a race. What tires would you recommend. Tamiya has the 60d slicks I think what they are called also belted and nonbelted. Correct me if I am wrong. Also Hpi x patterns. think the same also belted and non belted. Inserts? I know this is alot ot ask but thanks for your help! This is all for a better cause, to get people interested in the mini here in San Luis Obispo. Any racers post here who ran a the Tamiya Cup. Would love to try that.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Tech Initiate

get the Tamiya Mini Super shock set, they are oil filled, it also may be worth getting the mini on road tuned spring set.

as for tires most people recomend hpi x patterns but not sure wat inserts
Old 11-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Hey Tunnelhead...

You sure you wanna turn a bunch of Minis loose in your nice shop? You might want to put something in front of the glass. It could get ugly really fast once you get a few out there.

I raced with you guys at the last race at SLO high school. You guys have a great program, I had a really fun time. I was the guy racing the slow R40 and the fast TNX...LOL Keep us (me) posted on the mini deal and I'll try to make it out there. I have an M03 Mini Cooper and an M04M Alfa (not at the same time... )

You can use any Tamiya shocks on them. If you use the TRF shocks, you generally use internal limiters and short springs. Oh yeah...forget the Sport-Tuned motors...just use regular-old Mabuchi/Johnson silver can motors -- they come in the kit and they're plenty fast to have a good time at no extra charge.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Hey Joe , great to see that you are in here. Hope everything it going better with you now. Sorry. Cool I have 2 sets of the TRF shocks. Had to move the racing to Arroyo Grande High School. Got noise complaints. As far as the racing at the shop it cant get much worse then my 3 year old playing with the cooper in there. Lets say it has a slight toe problem. LOL am amazed how tough these little cars area. What shock oil should I use? and what springs? outside and carpet. I bet just about anything would work. I have been using the friction shocks and some old hand me down x patterns with the foam coming out. I just juice them up and let it rip. Joe have you raced at the Tamiya Cup before? Also ordered the Tamiya Castrol Jaguar IMSA GTP car. bring back some great memories.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Joe your R40 might not be so slow, if you would put your controller on the correct model. Your TNX sure hauled the mail!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Here are the new TCS rules for the Mini Class.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/rules.php

What do you think
Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

I really don't have much of a clue about the springs and oil.

I do know that downtravel makes a HUGE difference though...I have mine limited (internal spacers) to the point where it's almost impossible to get the spring holder on. If you have sticky tires or lots of traction, they'll traction roll like crazy unless you severely limit the droop.

I'm pretty sure there are some good baseline setups in this thread for FWD and RWD minis...but I've seen some stupid fast ones that hardly had anything done. One guy on here was even saying that you could get them running decent with friction shocks.

Pretty much, I'd say it's tires and droop more than anything I've noticed...maybe ride height to some extent, toe-in makes some difference. The rest is practice.

One time TCS regional participant here. Nice race, but a little hardcore for me. I liked your race...kick back on a beautiful day and have fun running toy cars. I'll definitely be back up to race with you guys...and I'll make sure to check the remote this time.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Steven Key
Here are the new TCS rules for the Mini Class.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/rules.php
What do you think
Interesting; am I reading this right?
The qualifying races are using standard silver cans ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGN28&P=7 ) and the finals in Aug are using the Black Sport Tuned motor? ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGE34&P=ML )
Old 12-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I could be wrong but I think the Regional races are going to be BYO silver can motors, with any batteries, and the Finals in CA are going to be a "Hand Out" black can motors WITH a spec Gold Peak 3300 that you have to buy at the event.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Correctamundo, Mr. Key! Which will make old Mr. Suitcase a whole lot lighter for the 2006 Nats!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccardr
Correctamundo, Mr. Key! Which will make old Mr. Suitcase a whole lot lighter for the 2006 Nats!
You know Doc...you could leave your unneeded equipment here with me when you're done with the regionals. I wouldn't want you to strain yourself hauling any surplus old junk back to the airport.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Doc! I`m in need of a fast 4 hole motor, any connections?

Paul Rush

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.