Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya Ta06

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

No, I'm just using the stock gearing for everything at the moment.

I locked my rear gear diff with blue tack stuff before deciding on a rear spool.

Yeah, I think that front spool will give too much understeer. Too much understeer when I locked the front gear diff. Although it works for some rc drifters.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah locking the front diff is no good for drift.

Fine under power and actually sideways, but no good when trying to swing the back end around and the inner tyre needs to be basically stationary as the outer takes a radius.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i saw this body on the tamiya website:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...body-set-51170

so i looked for the tamiya 51170 item number on ebay, and found 1 for sale.

now it has arrived and it is missing the left window and has heat resistant tape against the inside left door

according to the seller this is the way the body is delivered by tamiya as its meant for internal combustion engine TC's, however on every picture i see from tamiya the body has a window and is advertised for TT-01, TA-04 and other TC's

its not even legal to drive a car without a window in the electric powered competitions here

so what happened here? do they make 2 versions under the same number 51170 or did someone modify the body for combustion engines and then put it on ebay?

thanks for any help
Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

they just make one body, and someone just modified it, or its from a rtr nitro car from tamiya and tamiya already did the modifications, but mine came with both mirrors, and had a hole already cut on to for the nitro engine, if there is no hole cut out, then its not from the rtr kit, and likely just modified
Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by atomic garden

now it has arrived and it is missing the left window and has heat resistant tape against the inside left door

according to the seller this is the way the body is delivered by tamiya as its meant for internal combustion engine TC's, however on every picture i see from tamiya the body has a window and is advertised for TT-01, TA-04 and other TC's

its not even legal to drive a car without a window in the electric powered competitions here

so what happened here? do they make 2 versions under the same number 51170 or did someone modify the body for combustion engines and then put it on ebay?

thanks for any help
My nephew got that body on a used RTR TT01. It was pre-painted just as in your picture but it had the windows and side mirrors. It was not a Lightweight version so I don't know if it makes a difference.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Main difference with the pro are the arms from trf418, the plastic parts are carbon reinforced, carbon damper stays and steel hex screws.

I got the titanium screws, but I have to say prob not with the price. Not sure how much a few grams of weight is worth.

The wheels are http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...els-4pcs-84247 and the tires are tamiya medium narrow radials : http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...al-tires-51023

Dish wheels or the more simple white ones are prob better (lighter) from a performance pov but I wanted nice looking wheels to go with my body I am going to try these next : http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...els-2pcs-84357.

I have the brushed engine to start out in a stock series, it's my very first tc and I need to learn a lot.

I really don't like the servo mount in the car, it's awkward to work on and doesn't hold my sanwa servo very well. Does anyone have an alternative?

I drove the car for the first time on a large carpet track yesterday, it drove really nice and I had no major problems.
I tried the 23t and 26t pinion and it did feel a little slow. But maybe the stock silver engine can't go a lot faster. I also had no point of reference as the other cars on track where from a brushless series.

What gearing do others use/ advice?
Are you the guy that was running at a big belgian indoor track in Vosselaar?
If so, i was the guy who gave you the part for the servo saver.
Your car was indeed very slow, but the main reason to that is you we're running a Li-Fe battery while the rest of us use Li-Po batteries.
That gives a lot of difference in speed, for that reason you need to have a lower FDR.
At Vosselaar i would try to start with a 96T spur with a 40T pinion.
The spur and pinion you are using are the 06 module, the ones i recommend are the 04 module.
Although your car was running good, you had a little to much steering and you need more speed.
The car itself is great, i've got the PRO version with the 418 suspension mounted and by converting to this suspension the car became faster then before.
Next week i will bring my TT-02 to have more testing and then you can see the difference in speed.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
Are you the guy that was running at a big belgian indoor track in Vosselaar?
If so, i was the guy who gave you the part for the servo saver.
Your car was indeed very slow, but the main reason to that is you we're running a Li-Fe battery while the rest of us use Li-Po batteries.
That gives a lot of difference in speed, for that reason you need to have a lower FDR.
At Vosselaar i would try to start with a 96T spur with a 40T pinion.
The spur and pinion you are using are the 06 module, the ones i recommend are the 04 module.
Although your car was running good, you had a little to much steering and you need more speed.
The car itself is great, i've got the PRO version with the 418 suspension mounted and by converting to this suspension the car became faster then before.
Next week i will bring my TT-02 to have more testing and then you can see the difference in speed.
that was me indeed

i just got a 29T pinion 06 module, and i have a 31T with 66T spur on the way. if that isn't enough i will order some 04 module parts as 31T seems to be the biggest pinion that will fit.
i also got a better charger that will charge my LiFe batteries to 7,2V instead of 6,6V so that should help a little too.
And thanks again for helping me with the servo part!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks for any help
It looks like you may have one of there GP RTR body sets, or a body from this kit. http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...-nismo-z-43519

Unfortunately there isn't a pic of the other side. If you called Tamiya USA and gave them the part number of the kit (43519) they could tell you if the body came precut. Good luck with it.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by x3inchesx
My nephew got that body on a used RTR TT01. It was pre-painted just as in your picture but it had the windows and side mirrors. It was not a Lightweight version so I don't know if it makes a difference.
i fully expected to receive a TT-01 replacement body, i am still not sure what exactly i got , it looks the same but is just missing a window on the left side

Originally Posted by Vyger
It looks like you may have one of there GP RTR body sets, or a body from this kit. http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...-nismo-z-43519

Unfortunately there isn't a pic of the other side. If you called Tamiya USA and gave them the part number of the kit (43519) they could tell you if the body came precut. Good luck with it.
the side (left) shown on the pic is the one missing the window. Thats the strange thing even the ic kits have the window.
thank you for the link i am trying to return the body now
Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How much can I sell and TA06 Pro for with some upgrades?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

What benefit does mounting the TRF 418 suspension have? And does it mount directly on without any modifications?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdawg81
What benefit does mounting the TRF 418 suspension have? And does it mount directly on without any modifications?
The car carries more corner speed and it's a direct fit, just keep in mind that you will also need TRF418 stabilizers and all parts for it aswell.
It's definately worth the upgrade to your TA06.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

that was me indeed

i just got a 29T pinion 06 module, and i have a 31T with 66T spur on the way. if that isn't enough i will order some 04 module parts as 31T seems to be the biggest pinion that will fit.
i also got a better charger that will charge my LiFe batteries to 7,2V instead of 6,6V so that should help a little too.
And thanks again for helping me with the servo part!
If that doesn't give you the speed you want you can always buy a TB-03 spur, that's a 64T spur. (i think that's the smallest 06 module spur form tamiya you can use on a TA06 chassis).
But in my opinion your better of with the 04 module gears, it allows you to have a better fine tune with the FDR.

I was just looking to your pictures and i saw that your dampers are mounted on the outer hole on the damper stay, you should mount them 2 holes more to the center.
That will make the car less responsive when you go into a corner.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

If that doesn't give you the speed you want you can always buy a TB-03 spur, that's a 64T spur. (i think that's the smallest 06 module spur form tamiya you can use on a TA06 chassis).
But in my opinion your better of with the 04 module gears, it allows you to have a better fine tune with the FDR.

I was just looking to your pictures and i saw that your dampers are mounted on the outer hole on the damper stay, you should mount them 2 holes more to the center.
That will make the car less responsive when you go into a corner.
the picture was when i just put it together, i ran the dampers on the 3th position from the center of the car when i was at the track, both back and front.

module 04 seems to be hard to find online, the US 64p is about the same right?
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

the picture was when i just put it together, i ran the dampers on the 3th position from the center of the car when i was at the track, both back and front.

module 04 seems to be hard to find online, the US 64p is about the same right?
Hard to find?
If you need them i can give you some links where you can find them easily.
If you ever decide to participate at the belgian tamiya cup series you need those 04 module gears, cause the 64 pitch isn't allowed there.
Some people say that 64pitch is the same as 04 module, but i never tried to mix them so i'm unable to confirm that.
If you were running the dampers in those positions then you should try to mount a harder spring in the front and a softer one in the rear.
I'm Always running a blue one in front and red one at the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.