Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

These arguments are getting old guys. I get the strange feeling I have heard all of this before, and some time before that and maybe one other time before that. Get my drift? Oh wait this is grip racing.

SWTour: Great post, valid points. Like Doug said, the rules have been carefully planned. Nothing was taken lightly. I think the current power plant options are as fair as can be. Even though it can be argued that the 21.5 lipo option has an advantage, the rules are the same for everybody and if you are getting dusted by a 21.5 then go get yourself one. They money is not so bad anymore for that. The 21.5 option is no longer priced out of the range of the average racer. Git-R-Done. If you like running the other options then they are still there for you.

I have been to tracks where the local crowd is using all older TC chassis and 27t motors and then I have been where they are all running T2008 with the 21.5/lipo. The former was more fun, the latter was more like just running TC.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
Apexspeed, Nice looking tc3. I like where you tucked the amb. Good luck racing this winter.What brand is the bumper?Thank you
RPM bumper and foam for the TC3. You can still find them new fairly easily in black or blue.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
These arguments are getting old guys. I get the strange feeling I have heard all of this before, and some time before that and maybe one other time before that. Get my drift? Oh wait this is grip racing.

SWTour: Great post, valid points. Like Doug said, the rules have been carefully planned. Nothing was taken lightly. I think the current power plant options are as fair as can be. Even though it can be argued that the 21.5 lipo option has an advantage, the rules are the same for everybody and if you are getting dusted by a 21.5 then go get yourself one. They money is not so bad anymore for that. The 21.5 option is no longer priced out of the range of the average racer. Git-R-Done. If you like running the other options then they are still there for you.

I have been to tracks where the local crowd is using all older TC chassis and 27t motors and then I have been where they are all running T2008 with the 21.5/lipo. The former was more fun, the latter was more like just running TC.
We run a mix of all three options. I run a 21.5 and ran awesome, way better than usual (and still took only 3rd of 10); second place also ran a 21.5 and was ON FIRE!!!! However, we were both beat by a 27t brushed being driven by someone not old enough to have a real license (Austin, you are the man). The odds are even with the motors, trust me.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

I think the rules are as fair as they can be while still offering the most freedom. Thats all Im really trying to say. That and Im tired of hearing the same old arguments.

If I were a race director and the entry was big enough, I would separate VTA into a separate class for each powerplant. So like at a race the size of the snow birds when you are expecting possibly a hundred or more VTA entries, you could do that. Otherwise I would run the rules as they were intended for club racing.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Wow, I havent been to this site for 3 days, what a stir. After all the discussion I have decided to keep the tc3 and become a better driver first. I guess I will wait on the spending for now. I will also try the new motor too. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Right now there is talk of another somewhat smaller hot rod show having us come out and do a similar demo.

The folks at these events respond WAY more to Camaros and Mustangs than they EVER will DNA's and Speed 12's.
Well, I not only participate in, but have hosted, and co-promoted industry level car shows such as the likes of Hot Import Nights, the former NOPI, OC, and FMF among others. I run a 1:1 custom car organization and car shows is what we do. RC racing has always been a favorite hobby/sport of mine.
I can promise anyone that a V-TA race at any custom car show would be a hit no matter what the majority make up of cars/demographic is at the show. I would go as far as to bet that a RC V-TA race would spark just as much interest if not more at a youth oriented/enthused car show than that of a older demographic hot rod event. Now don't get me wrong, the hot rod enthusiasts do get a kick out of seeing smaller scale versions of their generation full scales whipping around a track in door to door action. They think its "cool". But that's about it. Simply because they're usually older, in retirement stages...etc...etc...To them, this it's just a cool toy tribute to what their full scale car generation....Yes, you'll get "some" general interest from that crowd. BUT sport V-TA or any other kind of on-road RC racing at a more youth enthused car show, and I know a huge pull of actual buyers and new racers would come onto the scene. So don't sleep on the younger generation car show events if you're promoting V-TA...If you can land a race at one of these type of shows, just set up your track, get your racing on, and set back and note the HUGE spectator draw ,and interest.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbonium
looking for a little info... my vta car seems to work pretty well for about 4 minutes... then the rear starts to get looser and looser, not good especially with 8 min mains. i read something before about not overheating the tires, but they dont seems to be warm when this happens, but they are pretty packed up, tho. i do clean them before every round... this is on carpet, med bite, paragon... xray 007 running the typical white/yellow spring combo, oneway up front.

any ideas? thanks!
This happens on our carpet too. Its the rear tires getting dirtier and dirtier. Some times if you drive in the racing line a little slower for a lap or two it'll come back off, but don't count on it.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm actually having fun in VTA running a TC3. It has just enough adjustments for me to not dial myself out of the ball-park. The bonus is getting looks/comments from racers using newer stuff when they see that you are beating them with an older car.

My best suggestion to anyone running this class is take some time to learn how to tune whatever TC you currently own. Regardless of the power option debates on here, the speed of this class is such that you will be able to tell how a setup change affects your car.

I was left scratching my head a few month ago wondering how to find a few tenths on the track. My best laps were .2-.4 tenths slower than the top of the field. I would have sworn that the guys beating me were doing something against the rules. Instead of getting frustrated, I focused on my setup. Without changing batteries or motor (21.5), I was able to bring my car up to the leaders pace. My driving is still a little suspect, but I now know that my car is capable of competing.

Apex, your TC3 needs more blue.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What's your Novak SS21.5 powered TC3 geared at? (Or is that just the name of the class...)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SWTour
RUN at your own $$$ level
Interesting.

I'm a TA racer who for the past months hasn't been taking where I place in a race very seriously and just have fun being in the middle of the pack of all our various TA racers who show up. I'm just out there having fun not trying to be highly competitive.

To compliment the above attitude I also enjoy not spending much money on my TA car. I've been running the same 4200 and 4600mah cells since last June. I do stock motor maintenance about every 3 races, with a comm cut and new brushes and a break-in. I'll change tires when my fronts go down to the foam and split. So, since last June, pretty much racing once a week between asphalt and now carpet I've probably only spent about 125 bucks to stay in the races.

This has pretty much guaranteed that if we have 10 TA racers That I'll finish somewhere between third and seventh, depending on who is racing that day.

For our regular club races the absolute fastest combo is the 21.5/Lipo.

yesterday we didn't have a big turnout and two new guys showed up to race with us and one of them had the new Tekin RSpro and a Novak 21.5. His car was truly a rocket on the straights and infield, and he attributed it to the new speed control being able to adjust timing. He let me drive it and I gotta say it was sweet. The difference between my old stock motor and old batteries was huge especially in the infield.

I wanted to try and keep up with him and the other 21.5 combos out there so I told them I was going to "cheat". For the last qualifier and the main I left my gearing the same but dropped in a Checkpoint Money Motor a 19turn. Interesting that I did have the speed on the 100 foot straight, but back in the infield I still couldn't keep up with them.

When It's time for me to spend some money I'm defitinitely looking into a Tekin RS for my TA car.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
When It's time for me to spend some money I'm defitinitely looking into a Tekin RS for my TA car.
It's kind of unfortunate, but I run a Tekin RS in one of my other cars and it really is a distinct advantage. Get the $30 Hotwire PC interface and you can do great things with the ESC regarding timing. It lets you gear for low-end rip and still have superior top end.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by reenmachine
It's kind of unfortunate.
I agree.

But what's a race director to do?

On to another unfortunate but inevitable topic I learned about:

Taking a Lipo battery and using heating blankets heating the battery up to get the internal resistance much lower.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
I agree.

But what's a race director to do?
In the end, nothing I guess. Unless both an ESC and motor are dictated, it is what it is. There will always be an advantage somewhere.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Next Summer the parking lot track I help run will be opening back up and I expect TA to be popular again then.

I'm hoping by then most if not all experienced racers who choose to run the class will be using 21.5/Lipo. If that's the case here's what I might do for our regular club races:

Using our regulars and watching how their cars perform look at best lap times and if there's one of them who has a car with a huge power advantage ask that individual to gear differently so their average laptime is much closer to everyone else.

Of course the above is easy when it's the same guys week after week but I'm not sure what to do if some new racer shows up and blows the doors off our regulars based on powerplant and skill?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

kenji,

There is no way to say this without sounding like a jerk, but common LEARN TO DRIVE and stop looking for the SECRET or MAGIC that you think others have. Your using batteries WAY past there prime, and using stock motor that I bet is average at best. These are costing you several tenths for sure, but why penalize other people who are faster cause they can drive.

I gave the radio to another driver and he was driving my car a 1/10th faster than me on Saturday. No lipo warming, no magic ESC, no magic motor, just simple GOOD DRIVING.

Regarding the Tekin, I tried it in my T/A car after the race on Saturday. Just as fast as the unit it replaced. So everyone doesnt need to go out and buy a TEKIN to run T/A (though they are NICE cause they are SMALL compared to the other ESC's).

Jimmy

Last edited by g12314; 12-22-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.