Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
They're gonna rub..don't freak out

Almost every body rubs the front or back tires.
Not freaking out, just never put together a VTA car before and figured things would fit without rubbing.

Here's the pix:

Front, ok, no major issues unless I turn from lock to lock. Can be remedied by raising up a hole or two.

Here's the back. Rubbing already and quite a bit more with any kind of up-travel. I can raise it up a bit but it still rubs quite a bit.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I would definitely raise the body. These are trans-am cars, not pro-street; and even if you aren't bothered by that - if your tires rub enough it is going to be a disadvantage due to drag (not to mention tearing up the paint that much faster).

I've only raced VTA on asphalt at our local track, so I haven't seen what the carpet drivers do; but that's easily the lowest mounting I've seen for a VTA body.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slashdriver
I would definitely raise the body. These are trans-am cars, not pro-street; and even if you aren't bothered by that - if your tires rub enough it is going to be a disadvantage due to drag (not to mention tearing up the paint that much faster).

I've only raced VTA on asphalt at our local track, so I haven't seen what the carpet drivers do; but that's easily the lowest mounting I've seen for a VTA body.
Ok, cool. I'll raise it up a bit. Thanks for the 411.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

I put masking tape on it to protect the paint. I just keep an eye on it so that it doesnt wear through. But yeah if you want the body low there is no way around the rub.

I had a blast racing at One Lug in Albertville Alabama last Saturday. My race day went crappy but I had fun and everyone was friendly. They made it worth while to be there, even if your quals dont go well. Thanks to those who bought T-shirts from me. I havent quite broken even yet but its a lot better.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Want to run a TC3 in VTA no problem to have 200mm in the rear (with 6mm offset) but major problem up front, 200mm suspension arms no longer available so, what do you TC3 racers run for track width up front 190?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Starteur
Want to run a TC3 in VTA no problem to have 200mm in the rear (with 6mm offset) but major problem up front, 200mm suspension arms no longer available so, what do you TC3 racers run for track width up front 190?

Thanks
The VTA wheels and tires are made to go on a 190mm chassis and flush it out to 200mm up front and 210mm in the rear. The HPI VTA shells and the Protoform J71 shell are made to match that. So there is nothing special that you would do to a TC3 to make it fit. It just works when you use the required wheels, tires and body. I hope I am understanding your question. There are wheel hexes available in different widths that might help you get your spacing right.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Which of the 18 VTA bodies is your favorite? Click here to pick your answer.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Starteur

Thanks
Put the standard arms on it and it will be fine. Bringing it back to 190.

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Ok, cool. I'll raise it up a bit. Thanks for the 411.
Ditto. I run my low, but that is low LOW.

Raise it up some
Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Ditto. I run my low, but that is low LOW.

Raise it up some
Good to know. Thanks.

EDIT:

Mounted my freshy race body on the same body mount heights and guess what...it doesn't rub. Go figure. I'll be moving it up anyway but thought that was quite odd.

Last edited by TPhalen; 03-06-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Mounted my freshy race body on the same body mount heights and guess what...it doesn't rub. Go figure. I'll be moving it up anyway but thought that was quite odd.

Man that '69 Camaro with Gulf paint job looks great! You know a full set of orange 8-spoke VTA rims would complement your Gulf paint scheme perfectly!
Click here -->http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...any-color.html to see the dyed 8-spoke VTA rims that I am selling.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

A couple quick shots at Goony's in knoxville tn, the mustang is mine and the camaro is a good friend of mine john... dont pay attention to the banged up mustang

Enjoy!!

For some reason I cant view the last page on this thread so if anyone knows why please send me a pm, I can see any other thread but this one it tells me too many re directs and closes page.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Which of the 18 VTA bodies is your favorite? Click here to pick your answer.
Have you guys voted yet? Right now it's a dead tie between the HPI '68 Camaro and the Protoform J71 AMC Javelin. Which one is going to win?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Sometimes the bodies don't rub when you are checking it on the workbench, but then you will find they do rub on the track. Some of it is the banging around but I think that body posts give a little and let the body sway slightly back and forth in high G turns. With the painted weight of some of the current HPI bodies sometimes between 150 and 200 grams, this is something to watch for.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Sometimes the bodies don't rub when you are checking it on the workbench, but then you will find they do rub on the track. Some of it is the banging around but I think that body posts give a little and let the body sway slightly back and forth in high G turns. With the painted weight of some of the current HPI bodies sometimes between 150 and 200 grams, this is something to watch for.
Ok cool, thanks. I'm heading down to the track tomorrow for some test runs. I'm sure I'll see quite a bit of rubbing at that point.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing
But my equation is how has it been getting hold of the tires i hear thats an issue?

Also have they added 21.5?

Thanks
In 5 years that my club has been running VTA, we never had a problem getting tires...until recently. There was a snafu at HPI which created a problem. That is or has been corrected and tire supplies will be back to normal I'm sure.
Adding 21.5 ????? Why ???? The old VTA rules allowed 21.5. The change to 25.5 has created definite growth in the class. Allowing 21.5 would simply be a step backward. We have USGT if there's a need for more speed.
I see you're in Florida. Feel free to come up and see us sometime. We're the oldest club in the county and have been running Official Rules VTA the longest. For a while we were the ONLY club in Florida offering VTA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.