Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks to Eric for being a great track director yesterday. His decisions made the difference from it being a bad day to a great day for me. He was able to get me out of there at a resonable time for a one day event so I could make it home last night to Indy.

I really didn't notice a lot of cars without numbers yesterday in VTA. However, there is no good excuse for not having a number. With a pair of scissors and some strapping tape, you can quickly create several numbers at virtually no cost. Maybe I was too focused on the good/unique paint schemes to notice the cars without numbers.

Speaking of paint and bodies, the top 3 finisher's bodies (not necessarily in order of finish) were a Pegasus 70 Mach Jet (Mustang), HPI 68 Camaro, and Protoform J71 (Javelin). I think there were 6 Javelin bodies racing and only 2 were painted Red/White/Blue. The rest had unique paint schemes that looked good.

One quick comment on the layout. The banked turn was unique and a bit of a challenge. While it wasn't deciding factor in the layout, the better drivers/cars were able to gain a bit of an advantage through this turn. However a car that was setup well for the rest of the track could make up anything lost through the banking.

At the end of the day I had fun. I wish that we could have had a 2-day event, but I realize that logistically & financially that this can be a challenge for many r/c racers.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I wish that we could have had a 2-day event, but I realize that logistically & financially that this can be a challenge for many r/c racers.
Logistically making it a 2-day (better yet with some Friday practice) is the only way I could make the trip make sense. And there's no way I'm alone in this among people who live, oh, west of Minnesota (i.e. the other half of the country). WAY too far for one day of racing, especially when that one day is devoted to three classes of cars. As it is it's just a non-starter to even think about.

We think nothing (well, little) of driving 500+ miles for 2-day races in Denver, Minot, etc, and even further (800-ish) to Seattle/Portland. Often in the dead of winter, playing deer-dodge in near white-out conditions on remote E. Montana highways, etc. Point is we're willing to travel, but the payoff (track time, etc) has to be worth the investment in time and money.

I'm thinking of a weekend...in mid-June...lengthy road trip...
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default VTA Nats

Thank you so much to Eric and "The Track" for a great day of racing.
Thank you to all the sponsors!! We will support you like you do us.

How about we do this in 2 days next year.!.! We would be more relaxed
and we would get in "all" the racing..

If anyone would like to see my pictures (just a few from concourse)....
http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/...pr%202%202011/
Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Sounded like fun, are there any videos or pics from the event?

Lynn
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CobraRman
Sounded like fun, are there any videos or pics from the event? Lynn
Lynn.... It was a "hoot" ...Great Racing, almost 100 Cars... and the VTA "A" Main was Edge-of-your-seat ...Awsome...

There was a dedicated photographer taking pictures, I am sure they will be up soon, and Howard from Speedpassion was taking videos with his iPad 2... I think he is going to put some up....

VTA is awsome...
Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome! I can't wait to see them.

Me and my boy got our HPI Sports out today for the first time and they were a blast!

I'll start my VTA upgrade for the car here soon, I got most of the parts for it now.

Lynn
Old 04-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

What do you guys do to keep stones out the drive belts?
Please don't say sweep the drive way, I already did that...
We both had a couple times that small stones would get caught in the belts and the cars wouldn't go any where.
Lynn
Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Some of the pictures are here:
http://pmatushek.blogspot.com/2011/0....html?spref=fb

There will be a photobucket link when everything he took is available
Old 04-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
One, you race a $200+ touring car with $200+ electronics—if you can't afford to buy, make or creatively improvise a driver figure, you shouldn't be racing anything. Stop complaining about the cost of driver figures. Seriously.
My driver was made of folded paper and masking tape
Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
All cars without drivers got to run Hello Kitty stickers on the windshield...Last year it was Hannah Montana...
Not enough Bra's?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Not enough Bra's?
Caused too much bounce
Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by StarrRacing
Lynn.... It was a "hoot" ...Great Racing, almost 100 Cars... and the VTA "A" Main was Edge-of-your-seat ...Awsome...

There was a dedicated photographer taking pictures, I am sure they will be up soon, and Howard from Speedpassion was taking videos with his iPad 2... I think he is going to put some up....

VTA is awsome...
Any particular chassis that seemed to be used more than others ?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Lots of Associated TC3, TC4 and TC5s and a TON of Tamiyas of all different types. I saw a lot of different generations of Xrays, as well. Then there was a smatterings of HPIs, Corallys, Schumachers and a couple of Losi JRXs Type Rs, too. Just about everything, really, which is the great part about these spec-type classes.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great Race Eric we just got home a little bit ago and we put 1780 miles on the van and it was worth every mile of it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Great Race Eric,
First time we've been to the "Track" great facility and the bank turn was a fun surprise like old school races.

"Any particular chassis that seemed to be used more than others ?"
Xray 009 was the fastest car all weekend 11.0's every round of qualifying the only car to go that fast as far as the main well, my main bad luck continues...LOL.

It was great too see some of the guys I haven't seen in a while like Mr. The King and Myron it was also nice to put some names with faces like Howard and Wallstreet.

Thanks for a great race weekend,
James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.