Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racer X79
So you're ready to go out and buy tire warmers but you think it's silly to buy a new motor?

That said, let's get some facts so we can help. What chassis/motor/battery are you using, and what chassis/motor/battery is the "#1" guy running? Also, how big is the track(approx. length x width), is it indoor/outdoor, and is it asphalt or carpet. Let get it straightend out instead of going back and forth talking about "spirit" vs rules.
..warmers are cheaper than a BL system what is silly to me is I shouldn't have to buy 'better' gear (what ever it may be) to get an advantage...they should be more even w/ all the rules.

thanks for the offer to help, it's much appreciated and more positive than agruing. Instead of getting into all the detail at this time, I think I've figured out his advantage. I've been talking the #1 guy, he's a friend but a strong rival in every class we race (we run offroad too). I've determine it's his new battery that's given him the speed. Ever since he started running those packs he's been too fast for anyone to catch. I bought the same pack couple weeks back but requires me to notch out my chassis and I didn't want to so put the pack in the TC. I'm just going to dremel the chassis and see what that pack does for me....and go from there..I'm not really the type to go cry'n to the race director..he's too fast.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Is the guy beating you using tire warmers, heat gun, sauce, etc.?
Sauce was a factor but I got the formula now. I picked up 3 tenths with the new formula. I'm still down 3-5 tenths per lap.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by g12314
Hmmm, could it be he just plain drives better or has a very dialed in setup??? No, how dare I suggest such a thing.

I made a simple shock position adjustment and camber link length change on the front of my T/A car this past weekend, and found a 0.4 sec faster lap time.... YES 0.4 sec, which put me on pace with the TQ car. So instead of worrying about tire warmers, lipo warmers, heat guns, magic voodoo tires sauces, maybe re-evaluate your cars setup and your driving lines.

Jimmy
Thanks for the comment & suggestions Jimmy. wish i could find 4 tenths just on a setup change!

We are fairly equal drivers though I'm typically faster through the infield, especially the fast sweeper. Setups are both fairly dialed but I'm sure I can prolly squeeze a tenth maybe 2 with some fine tuning but practice/tuning/track time is limited..and out of tuning ideals as the car is working pretty well in the corners with the current setup. Last race I focused souly on my lines but could only better my best lap by 2 tenths which helped me stay on the same lap (which was a first in a long time) but no way can I run him down & pass...just lose too much down the straight.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

"It's too bad the race director doesn't step in,"

To his defense the normal director was out of town this past race...It's club racing and pretty loose, he may or may not ever step in on his own/without complaints....but honestly I'm not the type to go bitchn he's too fast to race control. If the director calls him out on his own ok but I'd rather find some speed/improve instead of slowing anyone down...
Old 12-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Speedsterblade- If you guys are running 21.5/lipo's(which it sounds like you are?), the batteries shouldn't make that much of a difference. I'd be sure to double check his internal drive ratio and make sure he's not under 4.2 at all. Also, if he's at 4.2000 and your at 4.285-that is enough to make a difference on a large straight. I just really don't like to hear about people, especially T/A guys, spending money on stuff they don't need, or buying this or that because the fast guy has it.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racer X79
Speedsterblade- If you guys are running 21.5/lipo's(which it sounds like you are?), the batteries shouldn't make that much of a difference. I'd be sure to double check his internal drive ratio and make sure he's not under 4.2 at all. Also, if he's at 4.2000 and your at 4.285-that is enough to make a difference on a large straight. I just really don't like to hear about people, especially T/A guys, spending money on stuff they don't need, or buying this or that because the fast guy has it.
17.5 & 27t with lipos is what most run. I know the fast guy picked up I'd say .5 sec easy...(I picked up .5 sec easy in my 13.5 TC w/ this pack so I know it's a great pack)....and he'll straight up tell me, your car is too slow when I run my 'X' pack. So I'll be dremel'n my chassis to fit my pack in...won't cost me nothing but robbin it from the TC. May be robbin the gtb next!

He's running a tc3 (2 actually 1 brushed, 1 17.5..and he says his brushed car is faster! and quit running it 'to give us a chance!), I forgot about checking for any internal changes... I'll see what this pack does before I have him show me the in'ards..... lol. I honestly don't think he'd try to cheat like that. But his head is getting bigger and bigger w/ each win and it must come to an end!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
17.5 & 27t with lipos is what most run.
Oh man you're going to get eaten alive now since you're not even running USVTA!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ray Murray
FYI, just wanted any USVTA racers close to Northeast Pa. to check out our USVTA Holiday Race on Saturday, December 20th....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...a-12-20-a.html
Quick clarification - the Mushroom Bowl is in Southeastern PA (Kennett Square, to be exact...). Come one, come all, as it should be a great event.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gain Time
If he does he aint no racer.

You want to beat me then you better be faster is all I can say. As long as I am within the rules I am not voluntarily going to make my car go slower and can not see any real racer that would.

Sorry but been lurking and could not let this one go. Btw I dont race this class but was showing interest as long as the object to winning doesnt become who goes the slowest.

If you aren't willing to slow down to keep the racing close and just want to dominate, then the class really isn't for you.

This class and most I've of the people I've met that race it are into it because it's about CLOSE door to door racing.
If you spanking everyone then whats the point?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Oh man you're going to get eaten alive now since you're not even running USVTA!
Lol! Anyways, Speedsterblade - you're wayyyy off the chart with any sort of T/A advise with running the 27t or 17.5 with lipo's or 6 cells. You guys must have a bigger track and don't like the limited speeds with a 4 cell, but I guess I can see that. Your best bet is to run the same gearing as your normal TC then, it's basically a 24mm rubber tire set up and dial in more rear grip to make up for the lack of downforce.

Now, on a diffrent note.......I'm all for helping anyone, but please, PLEASE don't come on here and semi bash USVTA and it's "spirit" or "rules" when you are not even following them. Talk to your racing buddies and slow you cars down by following the USVTA guidelines and you will get a whole diffrent outlook.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
17.5 & 27t with lipos is what most run.
Ooohhhhhh boy.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Ooohhhhhh boy.
+1

And add a
Old 12-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Chinese LiPo
Am I wrong but don't all Lipo batteries used in RC come from China?

Is there a US company manufacturing LiPo cells?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default Lipos

Korea makes them as well.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

don't pick on speedster too bad for the 27/17.5 lipo 6cell. we do run a gear ratio like the 21.5 lipo rule. we just don't have anybody running 4cells and most guys had the 17.5 or 27t

as his race director yep that's me. I believe that the VTA class at our track should police themselves to some extent in club racing as it's suppose to be a fun class. if someone is cheating to win the VTA class he's a bigger loser then you running legal and getting beat. that's like cartment winning the special olympics. the guy he's running against isn't fast (every race I have run the guy I have lapped him but one that I completely blew out on.) he just spends a lot on getting his brushed motors done. I know because I tru them. and he spends a lot of money to get good 27t motors. he's bought like 7 or 8 from me. again not in the spirit but he takes TA competively. we are trying to get hime to stick in the foam 13.5 class that we have. but he has fun beating people by a lap, go figure.

again I believe that the spirit of the VTA class is right with the motors that they run accept the 21.5 but that has been beat to death here already. it's still a fact that a well tuned 27t is going to be faster then a 17.5 and a good lipo pack will push a 21.5 to the front anyday drivers being equal. and if the track thinks that there is an advantage to one or the other motor they regulate it which is within the rules. at this point with this flow don't debate the motors as it's doug's rules and to some extent they are working.

the debate that should be going on is VTA a class for competive racing diehards that are always looking for that 2 or 3 tenths. and what equipment is considered working too hard on your VTA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.