Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk

USVTA TRANS AM - RCGT - F1 - MINI

THE SCALE CHAMPIONSHIPS

More Updates:

Registration will be pre-registration only. Entry form to follow in the next few days.

Hotel recommendations will follow soon as well.

We also want to split the racing into two days where two classes will completely finish racing each day. A good turnout would be hard to finish all racing in one day, and for those who have traveled a good distance, it offers a better experience, while those who only wish to race a single class can attend for that day only.

We will also have a special race format once again for trans am.

More announcements to come....
Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Also special congratulations to J.C. Oaks for capturing the Hurricane All Star Series T/A Championship
Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

thanks rob
i want to give u a big thanks for the setup
i ran it with no changes at all of the tracks in the series

good luck at the tcs race
Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Can you fill me in on that setup? I am haveing a hard time getting my tc5 to work well on carpet. If possible in setup sheet form so I don't screw it up.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
...Locally we have asked the Tekin racers to run v200 or lower with no turbo, which has kept the racing close. I've noticed a lot more "clean" racing on the track. There has been some door to door action, but a lot more give and take has resulted in better racing on the track. Win or lose, we have been having more fun.
Good to hear! Just an FYI, once the timing and turbo are ZERO'd, there is no performance difference between v200 and v203. There have been other changes to the software that helped cure some interface issues and the weird on-track issues, but the magic of v203 is in the timing adjustments.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Can anyone hook me up with a good TC5 VTA setup or a good starting point? I am having some serious problems getting my car to handle even close to good, far from good.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
More Updates:

Registration will be pre-registration only. Entry form to follow in the next few days.

Hotel recommendations will follow soon as well.

We also want to split the racing into two days where two classes will completely finish racing each day. A good turnout would be hard to finish all racing in one day, and for those who have traveled a good distance, it offers a better experience, while those who only wish to race a single class can attend for that day only.

We will also have a special race format once again for trans am.

More announcements to come....
love the poster....it could double as "how many Mustaches can you find?"
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twelvegauge
Can anyone hook me up with a good TC5 VTA setup or a good starting point? I am having some serious problems getting my car to handle even close to good, far from good.
Go to the Associated site and find setups for the TC5. I have found that Josh Hohnstein's carpet set-up was VERY close...from there it was just a matter of massaging it (took a little droop out, stiffened up the rear, took "pro"-squat out and put it to neutral. Several little things that have all made incremental gains. Best bet is to put his exact set-up on it and then tune to what you're seeing the car do on YOUR track with YOUR driving style.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

in general, what spring tension ratings are you guys seeing coming to use for the VTA cars in general?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Go to the Associated site and find setups for the TC5. I have found that Josh Hohnstein's carpet set-up was VERY close...from there it was just a matter of massaging it (took a little droop out, stiffened up the rear, took "pro"-squat out and put it to neutral. Several little things that have all made incremental gains. Best bet is to put his exact set-up on it and then tune to what you're seeing the car do on YOUR track with YOUR driving style.
FYI, Hohnstein is no longer listed on Team Associated or RC10. I even checked the UK website.

For the stock setup: Click here

Edit, found one here on RCTech post 8822: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...d-tc5-589.html

Last edited by rced1; 02-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Default VTA RTR

Just a quick question for you guys.

Is $450-$475 and unreasonable price point for a NIB TC4 VTA RTR/Race. Plus battery and charger. Retail price to build it in pieces would be around $570-$600 if the consumer did it.

I know the question was asked some pages ago and my thoughts were to build a TC4 with a Havoc system for sale here in my shop. It would also include RTR radio, tires,rims,painted body and appropriate gearing as well as a base line setup. Of course you could change out the radio to say the Futaba 2pl 2.4 for an additional upcharge.

Just a thought, what are yours?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Legend

when I priced out using one of the cheaper current touring cars (Ofna JL10-GT) on towers site, I was able to get with everything ready to go (and include the ocst of ordering direct from novak the cheaper 25.5 Havoc combo) a total of about $600 as well.

Though, the charger was a good portion of the cost as I looked at one thats had balancing built in which from what I could tell, the cheapest was the venom at $130. Lipo was $35, used the Parma body as it was the cheapest and is pretty durable at $18.

Radio was the tower hobbies brand 2.4Ghz at $80.

This doesn't include consideration of towers super saver club discount, so you can figure $50 off the total.

Managed to configure a setup for about $510-$540 on amainhobbies, which also includes the $130 - 150ish charge for the novak 25.5 havoc setups, not including any discounts. Similar setup, but was able to save a few bucks on a charger setup using the kyosho one and a separae 10amp power supply.

Last edited by Cain; 02-17-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default Spring Rates

Originally Posted by Cain
in general, what spring tension ratings are you guys seeing coming to use for the VTA cars in general?
Depends on which chassis you are using. "Wheel rate" is the usable number, and for that you need to know the spring rate, the shock angle, the length of the lower arm and the shock mounting location on the arm. There's a formula for that in a chassis book that I have, but I'm sure you can find something online searching for Wheel Rate.

Last time out on really high bite carpet with Jack the Gripper, I was able to increase spring rate on a VTA TC3 from 22 front/19.5 rear to 30 front/25 rear over the course of the day and still have plenty of grip. I used middle upper and outside lower shock mounts on both ends.

I haven't ever taken time to measure wheel rate, but the next time we get snowed in, maybe I'll make up an excel spreadsheet calculator. Sounds like a great iPhone app.

Speaking of which, there's a nifty RC iPhone app called Gear It that calculates FDR and rollout when you select your chassis and enter the pinion and spur numbers. Very handy.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Legend

thanks for the info. found what the spring rates are finally for the springs I have.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default Spring rates

I stumbled on a great spreadsheet for many car calculations, including one for spring rate. All spring steel has the same modulus of elasticity, so you can calculate the spring rate of any spring if you know the diameter of the wire, the diameter of the coils and the number of active coils in the spring. I copied the formula out of excel:

=(1406250*A3^4)/(A5*(A4-A3)^3)

A3 is the diameter of the wire in inches -- you can use a digital caliper and be very close
A4 is the outside diameter of the spring in inches -- again the caliper comes in handy
A5 is the number of active coils

The result is in lbs./in.

I've used this with some springs of known rate and it comes out pretty close if you measure carefully.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.