Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I am thinking part of it could be due to the lack of weight on the lipo side of things, need to see about upping that.
Yes, get the car balanced from left to right before you attempt anything else. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Ultimately the car should turn right just as well as it turns left and visa versa.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Anyone know where I can source 1/10 scale sidepipes? I've looked through modeling sites that came up with google, but the model descriptions don't get specific enough to list whether it has sidepipes.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Anyone know where I can source 1/10 scale sidepipes? I've looked through modeling sites that came up with google, but the model descriptions don't get specific enough to list whether it has sidepipes.
K&S Alum Thick wall Tube stock.....or Plastruct tube stock will work to make side pipes.....check with your LHS.

http://www.ksmetals.com/retail.html

http://www.plastruct.com/
Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Some other quick ideas for tailpipes

- Scavenge pipes/exhaust from plastic motorcycle or semi truck models
- Spray paint, modify the body of an ink pen (some already have metallic finishes)
- Old plastic body posts
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Great ideas, thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

RPM sells some scale tailpipes as well. Might be worth a look. They are at the bottom of the page. http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/sedan/detail.htm
Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Yes, get the car balanced from left to right before you attempt anything else. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Ultimately the car should turn right just as well as it turns left and visa versa.
it is possible using a tweak station to figure out side to side balance in a way? I know that one side of the station is fixed, but the other isn't. Don't know if that makes a difference when determining to add weight to a side.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Also have the usual people sized scales, etc.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

yeah, but others are telling me to try a few other things first prior to this, so I am thinking of doing that first. But I am keeping that option open. with two cars, can try a variety of changes first I am thinking.
I'm gonna tell you right now the #1 thing you should do when your car starts to traction roll is glue the sidewalls. It does not affect setup besides taking away a bit of steering, and stopping the traction roll. You will have to do far less to your car if you glue the sidewalls.

As far as your balance issues, if you have a tweak station, let the wheels hang off the back bar so the chassis is on the bar, and center the car on the rod. Don't let any part of the chassis touch the stationary front bar. It should fall one way or the other if it's not balanced, or it should at least tilt the level. Add lead until it stays centered.

This is assuming you don't have the Xray balancers, or IRS balance balls, or postal scales or something. The other thing you can try is string or floss at the center of the shock tower, and lift the car in the air.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Just about any car will work. I'm using my TC4 with a BMI chassis just because it was sitting on my shelf doing nothing anyway. The only concern you should have is strength. Have you seen the A mains at Brownies?
Sheesh. We're not that rough, it's the fire hoses that get you.

The TA04 took 3rd at the slowbirds.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Legend

so any tips on the gluing then? Do I glue only the fronts, and if so, how high / much should I put on there and any recommended glue and gluing method?

I do have that second set of tires that is getting more worn, maybe I'll try it on that set.

thinking of using a slightly thicker glue then like an AKA tire glue, and using the end of a q-tip with the cotton removed to put it on.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

so any tips on the gluing then? Do I glue only the fronts, and if so, how high / much should I put on there and any recommended glue and gluing method?

I do have that second set of tires that is getting more worn, maybe I'll try it on that set.

thinking of using a slightly thicker glue then like an AKA tire glue, and using the end of a q-tip with the cotton removed to put it on.
Assuming everything is set even from left side to right side on your chassis (droop, roll center adjustments, camber, and ride height), balance isn't as big of a deal as you might think. What's most often the case when I help people with traction rolling, it's the steering endpoints. With the width of the VTA front wheels you really have to watch for interference with the lower spring collars on the front shocks. Be sure to check for interference left and right, with the suspension at max ride height, and with the suspension compressed. If you have to adjust it, make sure it travels the same amount in both directions. That being said, if everything is good and the car handles okay except for the traction rolling....go up 10 weight on your front shock oil (ie, if your running 40wt, go to 50wt) and leave everything else alone. I tend to shy away from glueing side walls. A lot of people do it and that's cool, but in my opinion it just doesn't work that well.

Last edited by Racer X79; 02-05-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

The first, 1/2 tread block down to the raised ring on the tire is what you have to be most concerned with. Any glue works fine..
Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default glue me baby

i think that glueing the sidewalls is a good bet. i was leary at first but it works and i would recomend it to anyone...... and i have,all i did was a SMALL bead where the tire rounds into the sidewall..Didnt ruin my tires at all,,in fact i had to reglue them for the main...and it was about gone after the main
ive run the same setup at seven tracks and have only had to glue sidewalls once and that was at Trackside were the traction was crazy,we ran on it a week after the novak race. i mean my gym shoes were sticking to the track!!!!!
just my 2 cents jc
Old 02-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by robk
The first, 1/2 tread block down to the raised ring on the tire is what you have to be most concerned with. Any glue works fine..
sounds like the same kind of section where on foams they start the change over to a harder compound (plaids, etc). does that sound correct?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

You are correct

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.