Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
man, now that's completely uncalled for

i'm not crazy about the new rules from a 'national' level - but opening your mouth and inserting BOTH feet ain't necessary

do you even run the class or are you just a forum troll looking to start problems?
Actually he is pretty big into VTA, he travels to race the class and wins our local club VTA race just about every time he runs in it. He's kind of our local "VTA God".
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I agree that I would like more manufacturers to be able to be involved in the class, but I also commend novak for being willing to make options available for the class as well.

One thing I am wondering though, since we are slowing everything down with the new rules, and this is supposed to be an entry class from what some have said, I have wondered if those new LiFe packs like that new Reedy one could be considered to be at least allowed.

Without the potential issues a Lipo could have, seems newbies who are concerned about lipo have a nice safe alternative, and with less voltage, could be slower too. Or, gearing could compensate.

Now I am NOT saying that lipo should be banned, etc. All I am saying is can those cells be looked at to be allowed? Especially with Reedy throwing there hat in the ring with a LiFe pack.

Thats all. Flame away....
Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tread1
Yeah lets keep running an entry level class at 17.5 rubber tire touring car speeds.

Gotta remember, There's A LOT of racers that run VTA that are far from "entry level...

Which brings up a good point, what the hell ever happened to novice class!?! I remember back in the day when you started racing you ran whatever you had in novice class and you ran with all kinds of stuff, trucks, buggies, whatever all mixed up until you learned how to wheel a little. Now all the sudden VTA is the new novice class. Which is where a lot of the conflict stems from being the varying degree of skill level with the racers involved in VTA. I'm not gonna bitch about the new rules (I accept them) but I will say I don't think that slowing the cars down will change much, you'll still have guys that are several laps off the pace and it's all due to lack of experience.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Legend

I don't view VTA as a novice class. I view it as a class that due to its slower speeds is more friendly to novices. We have a range from really great racers to novices in it. And with the slower speeds, sure you bang stuff, but getting hit with 21.5 power is a lot different than 7.5 power.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Gotta remember, There's A LOT of racers that run VTA that are far from "entry level...

Which brings up a good point, what the hell ever happened to novice class!?! I remember back in the day when you started racing you ran whatever you had in novice class and you ran with all kinds of stuff, trucks, buggies, whatever all mixed up until you learned how to wheel a little. Now all the sudden VTA is the new novice class. Which is where a lot of the conflict stems from being the varying degree of skill level with the racers involved in VTA. I'm not gonna bitch about the new rules (I accept them) but I will say I don't think that slowing the cars down will change much, you'll still have guys that are several laps off the pace and it's all due to lack of experience.
If you read about the origins of VTA, it was never as a novice class, it was to provide a different driving/racing experience than stock TC- slower, door to door racing.

Tech has evolved since the start and hense the gap between VTA and 17.5 TC has shrunk considerable thus the reason for slowing it down.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Legend

I wonder how long it will be before the tech evolves to the 21.5 speeds we see today!

anyway, anyone got a good source for the super big pinions in 48 pitch? Depending on what the tracks decide, I may just pickup a 25.5 now to play around with, and who knows, maybe a havoc too and see how it goes. At a minimum if they don't go that route with the VTA class, I could always let my daughter use it.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TwoTone
If you read about the origins of VTA, it was never as a novice class, it was to provide a different driving/racing experience than stock TC- slower, door to door racing.

Tech has evolved since the start and hense the gap between VTA and 17.5 TC has shrunk considerable thus the reason for slowing it down.
No I understand that and I have been involved with VTA for quite awhile, I built a car as soon as lipo and brushless was legal. I also know the origin and know what the "intention" of the class was/is. I'm simply saying you see "entry level" and "Novice" thrown around a lot in this thread and even tho I know a lot of guys get their feet wet in on road in the VTA class (I was one of them, raced oval before) VTA is NOT a "novice" class.

I also get why the class is being slowed down. For the same reason they are considering changing stock TC from 17.5 to 21.5, it's not just VTA that will be experiencing changes due to the new technologies.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Legend

with the way the tech is going, who knows, one day 21.5 may be considered "Super Stock", and 25.5 being the new stock, and then we VTA guys may be down to 30.5
Old 01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
with the way the tech is going, who knows, one day 21.5 may be considered "Super Stock", and 25.5 being the new stock, and then we VTA guys may be down to 30.5
The new ESC rule will prevent that, in VTA anyway.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Legend

honestly, don't know. Racers have a "nasty" way of finding a way to, go fast
Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Well I don't know what the equivalent brushless size would be, but as said before, some of the funnest racing I've had was in a club with a 40 turn hand out motor.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Legend

I am definitely having a good time in VTA for sure.

I am hopeful that maybe something to keep it going this summer in parking lots local could be done.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

Just to let everyone know, THUNDER JAM CHAMPIONSHIP #2 is coming up on Jan 24th...this is considered a Snowbird warm-up race....we(me and Donald) original plan was for a Jr TA trophy race, and it grew to one of Thunder RC's biggest races of the year....this race will still have the VTA trophy race as well as other classes racing....here is the post from the web page....

Thunder Jam Onroad
Description: Open 9am Race noon
$20 first all entries with payout
junior TA $10 trophies
Pro TA TMPL rules
USVTA
17.5 TC Foam
17.5 12th scale
Rubber 17.5 if enough
Date: Sunday, January 24, 2010

THUNDER JAM CHAMPIONSHIP #2 TROPHY RACE

Race Specification:
- 5 minute qualifiers(3 each)
- 8 minute main
- Classes will include TA and Jr TA
- Sportsman and rookie classes if enough show(5 or more) NO TROPHY

Trophy VTA & JR TA:
- 1st
- 2nd
- 3rd

RULES for the event: ONLY FOR TROPHY
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

THE USVTA RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER!

IF YOU WANT TO RUN IN THIS RACE UNDER SPORTSMAN OR ROOKIE, YOU CAN STILL USE TMPL RULES, BUT IT WONT HAVE A TROPHY FOR THE WINNERS....(GET A 21.5 MOTOR) RULES ARE POSTED HERE....

http://www.coolspringsracing.com/Rules.html

Prises for:
-fastest lap
-slowest lap
-worst body
-best body

Touring Car and 12th Scale are welcome to run on this day as well....

SPONSORED BY KRC & THUNDER RC RACEWAY
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

Originally Posted by trerc

Novice class. Now thats a "new idea". I think a novice class would be a much better idea than slowing all the cars down. Now the experienced drivers can either be bored or go to the 17.5 class to keep racing interesting. If they would put a limit of say "qualifying within 2 laps of TQ" to advance to the expert class, then you could still carter to the beginner and satisfy the speed for the expert. The driving in the expert class would be cleaner too. Now all will only be going slower when the newbie hits.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Where it all started, posted 10/30/07

TRACKSIDE presents ‘Vintage Trans-Am’ class.
In the late 60’s the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) created the Trans-Am series which brought great names like Penske, Donahue, Hall, Revson, Jones, Gregg, Titus, Fullmer, Gourney, Elford and Clark to exciting venues in America such as Sebring, Road America, Daytona, Watkins Glen, Riverside and Road Atlanta. Drivers battled wheel to wheel in Camaro’s, Mustangs, Cuda’s, AMX’s, Challengers hoping to increase Monday morning showroom sales.

The new TRACKSIDE ‘Vintage Trans-Am’ racing class is designed to bring back the spirit of 2-Door muscle Car road course racing with the same great looking cars of that memorable era. The class rules are developed to provide close racing with controlled chassis, battery, motor, tire and body specifications.

The goal of the Vintage Trans-Am class is to bring back awesome looking cars in a cost controlled racing format where the result is just plain FUN. The speed of the specification package brings close, competitive racing for Sportsman, Intermediate and experienced hobbyist that rewards driver development.

SPECIFICATIONS
1)Body specifications:
VINTAGE Trans-Am Bodies only.

HPI part no’s: 17510 - 1970 PLYMOUTH AAR ‘CUDA, 17519 - 1966 FORD MUSTANG GT, 17508 - 1965 Ford Shelby GT-350 , 7494 - 1968 Chevrolet Camaro
PARMA part no’s: 10143 - ’69 Z28 Camaro, 10141 - ’70 Boss Mustang,
10113 - ’70 Cuda
Note: a) Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed. No additional skirts or raised/extended wings or air control surfaces allowed. Body must be trimmed at body trim lines. (Full rear bumper required)
b) It is preferred bodies are detailed in race type livery.

2) Tire / WHEEL specification:
The only tires allowed are HPI tire p/n’s 4793 front, 4797 rear, using stock tire inserts provided with tire and HPI Vintage wheels designed to fit these tires. (Five or Eight spoke wheels available in various colors)

3) Chassis specification:
Four Wheel Drive, touring car chassis only.

4) Motor specifications:
27 turn ROAR stock motor must be used.
Brushless motor battery combinations now allow following USVTA guidelines.

5) Batttery specifications:
4 cell nicad or nimh batteries, 4200 Mah limit.
Brushless motor battery combinations now allow following USVTA guidelines.

6) Ride height specification:
Minimum Ride height is 5mm.

7) Weight specification:
No minimum weight requirement at this time.

8) RACE LENGTH:
5 Min. Qualifiers, 8 Min. MAINS.

This exciting class is just getting started at Trackside. Once racers build their cars, this Class will be run during normal road course days on Saturdays and Tuesdays.
Call Trackside if you have questions. ph:262-783-4699

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.