Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Its like the common sense fairy just popped in here and sprinkled some dust around.....I don't know what to think.

Seaball....I will be out your way Monday going to see the Tribe play the Red Sox. So if you need any VTA tips I will be around to share them with you.
Never ever offer Seaball a tip of anything,he won't be able to keep his mind on work now!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
You can't compete in ANY racing class with tired anything. The rules in USVTA weren't based on tired equipment—they were based on high quality, fresh batteries and pro-tuned brushed motors versus the brushless and LiPo counterparts. If you are down on power with brushed motors and round cells, it's because you aren't pumping time and money into them—just like in all other classes. This isn't a class for your tired junk to run up at the front. There are no basher classes in racing.

d

I know Doug you are totally on about that. And by showing up with tired equipment, I get exactly what I was expecting. That is to get my doors blown off by some one who put the time, and a little money into it. Part of me says I should just stay at home, but its still fun to run at the back of the pack, and there are other people back here with me.

I know that Im not putting the best effort I can in to my VTA racing, but there are other things that I have to do with my time, er and money. Thats OK as long as we are all having fun, right.

I would never show up at a National Event without a completely by the book car. (Makes sense right?) Paint, Stickers, Chassis, Power, would all fulfil the spirit and the letter of the rules. I also wouldnt go to one unless my club performance had been pretty good that season. And that wont happen without stepping up everything, the electronics the chassis, the set up, practice time,,,,everything.

For now locally im really casual about it and what I have is what I run. I have a blast when I do. Win or well just lose. Somebody tell me thats ok.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robus
I think he fried his 27 turn (he was over geared, oh yeah we could smell it)
Rob
No but it was one of those you get for near nothing from someone who went brushless. It did look like the comm had just been cut and it had good brushes and springs in it. Still a dog.

Runs cool though.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
For now locally im really casual about it and what I have is what I run. I have a blast when I do. Win or well just lose. Somebody tell me thats ok.
Thats okay. It sounds like you understand the spirit of the class to me.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kregger
Thats okay. It sounds like you understand the spirit of the class to me.
I appreciate that. And Doug knows were I am on this. I know it looks like he was getting on my case right there when everybody started telling him to preach, but Im not the only one who led him up on the soap box. There is always some clown in here whining about a rule change or something not being fair. So dont look at me people. All I did was burp out a dumb idea that reminded Doug why he did all this.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhwnissan
I have always wondered because I wanted to try and run a 4 cell pack, how long do most ni-cd and ni-mh packs last on a stock 27t motor. It always seemed to me that the lack of juice would leave me hangin at the end of a race. Is this true or does the lack of weight actually negate that?
the last time I ran 27t/4 cell (before I went to 4cell/17.5), I got just about 10 mins from a well-used pack of EP4200. This pack was about 1.5 years old and sat for about 6 months before I ran the vintage - I still ran the same packs (and actually STILL have them) when I went to the 17.5 and got even LONGER runtime from them (I think I started dumping around the 11min mark)

I was geared to run with the LIPO cars at my track - ended up 4th qualifer in the "A" that night, only about a lap off the TQ (but this TQ would have TQ'ed no matter what)
Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

oic.. thanks a bunch for the battery info. I was just very curious about the longevity for runs given the smaller packs. You guys are so helpful!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just finished the build of my VTA chasis last night to hopefully run on Sunday. It was fun tuning with a 27t stock motor again - I actually used to enjoy that.

I've never run 4 cell before in a TC, and I'm looking at the VTA rules, and it recommends a FDR of 5.4-5.7 for 4cell/27t. I'm used to 6 cell 27t & 19t, so to me that FDR seems INSANELY low. A common ratio I would run in my car was 84/24 (internal 2.25), which is 7.875 I believe. Can someone who's run this combination tell me if those numbers are realistic? I would think that motor would burst into flames if I tried that FDR with 6 cells...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
I just finished the build of my VTA chasis last night to hopefully run on Sunday. It was fun tuning with a 27t stock motor again - I actually used to enjoy that.

I've never run 4 cell before in a TC, and I'm looking at the VTA rules, and it recommends a FDR of 5.4-5.7 for 4cell/27t. I'm used to 6 cell 27t & 19t, so to me that FDR seems INSANELY low. A common ratio I would run in my car was 84/24 (internal 2.25), which is 7.875 I believe. Can someone who's run this combination tell me if those numbers are realistic? I would think that motor would burst into flames if I tried that FDR with 6 cells...
we used to 5.0 on 4 cell, but the motor was about to catch fire
Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The first time I ran 4/27 I ran a 6 FDR. Much too slow. I got smoked even on short chutes. I think you'd need to be closer to 5 ... but don't touch that motor on your way back to your pit.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I've never run 4 cell before in a TC, and I'm looking at the VTA rules, and it recommends a FDR of 5.4-5.7 for 4cell/27t. I'm used to 6 cell 27t & 19t, so to me that FDR seems INSANELY low...
5.4 - 5.7 is right on the money - less voltage = less heat, even when moving the same weight. Especially given the fact that stock motors aren't known for being all that efficient.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Just wanted to send kudos to Apex for his earlier comments. I too started to get sucked into that "lets make changes...gotta make it better somehow" thinking. I realized that although the thought was genuine....it wasnt necessary. This program and the racers involved have said some of the most genuine things Ive ever heard and the bottom line has always been maintained... Have Fun !! After our second meeting to race VTA it was clear.Skip the politics, believe in the program and concentrate on the bottom line. Thanks for holding your ground Doug. It was appreciated.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

everything I was told that if you put more voltage to a motor it will pull more amps then at a consistantly increasing rate. I.E. at 4 volts a motor pulls 4 amps but at 8 volts a motor pulls 10 amps as opposed to 8 amps which is what you would think.

which is why a 7cell back in the day would dump faster then a 6 cell geared the same.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
everything I was told that if you put more voltage to a motor it will pull more amps then at a consistantly increasing rate. I.E. at 4 volts a motor pulls 4 amps but at 8 volts a motor pulls 10 amps as opposed to 8 amps which is what you would think.

which is why a 7cell back in the day would dump faster then a 6 cell geared the same.
Thanks Dirla. I knew that four cell racing would run longer than 6 Cell but I couldnt figure out why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.