U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
Well the rules for 27T is a 4 cell Nimh. USvintagetransam.com recommends a 5.4 - 5.7 for use with a 4 cell. Not sure where you would go for 27T/lipo but it would be up from there.
Yeah, I know the rules, but I don't really have the money to spend. I doubt you'd find me near the A-main anyways, so I figure everyone at the track would be fine with it I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with this setup and could ballpark me an FDR.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

about a 7.95fdr which is what we run at www.coolspringsracing.com it has all the rules for using 17.5 and 27t with lipo for prota if you use a 17.4 it's like 5.4fdr
Old 04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

i think the nashville guys have the right idea ..radar gun over 24mph and you pulled and you will be required to raise FDR to race again ...now yes it only effects topspeed.... but it should make it closer
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theghostmouse
Yeah, I know the rules, but I don't really have the money to spend. I doubt you'd find me near the A-main anyways, so I figure everyone at the track would be fine with it I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with this setup and could ballpark me an FDR.
I was just pointing out where I got my FDR figures from. Hope it didn't come across as "you're cheating!". We've had several guys start out with something out of the norm geared to mesh with the others. Have fun!!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
about a 7.95fdr which is what we run at www.coolspringsracing.com it has all the rules for using 17.5 and 27t with lipo for prota if you use a 17.4 it's like 5.4fdr

shouldnt you be on the nitro offroad thread...to get that old moogen ready? this is Rick ....sweatt and mike blicks buddy... oh yeah congrats on thunderdome and good luck i will show my support
Old 04-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
What driver in the A-main was doing this? I can tell you that I dont think there was a single one in the A-main doing this. If some guy in the B-main was doing this well guess what it didnt seem to help him make the A-main now did it.....that should tell you something right there.

All this complaining about speed and everything else comes from the simple fact that people dont accept that they can and do just flat out get beat by a better driver sometimes.....its going to always be some excuse he has a new ESC or better Lipo. When really your just not that good of a driver....thats part of racing....thats why we do it to have fun and get better at it. If it was easy no one would do it. If you make all the cars the exact same speed and handle the same I would venture to say that most all of the guys in the A-main at the VTA nats will still be in the A-main because they are good drivers.....then what would people complain about???

Going to a higher FDR isnt going to solve anything but make the cars slower and maybe make racing closer.....but the better driver will always be faster....period.

Kevin,

I didn't mean to upset you with my post. I will agree with you 100% that the better driver will win most of the time. This better driver usually has a very well set up car, which just plain comes from experience.

You posted this

Going to a higher FDR isnt going to solve anything but make the cars slower and maybe make racing closer.....but the better driver will always be faster....period.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this what VTA was supposed to be ?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miket3
Kevin,

I didn't mean to upset you with my post. I will agree with you 100% that the better driver will win most of the time. This better driver usually has a very well set up car, which just plain comes from experience.

You posted this

Going to a higher FDR isnt going to solve anything but make the cars slower and maybe make racing closer.....but the better driver will always be faster....period.
Isn't this what VTA was supposed to be ?[/QUOTE]

Im not upset just getting tired of people saying things that you need to do this to be fast and thats what the fast guys are doing so thats why they are faster. When thats not the case they are faster because they are better drivers period. No electronic gizmo or heated tires or Lipo is going to change that.

If you looked over the qualifying results from the Nats you will see that everyone else other then Brad were really close together in their mains. This to me means that whats already in place is working number 1 and number 2 another FDR isnt going to change things much. Brad would still have TQed and everyone else would have finished about where they finished. So the Isn't this what VTA was supposed to be ? idea is already there now and thats how it is. If you are seeing it another way then I dont know what else to tell you. If your crying out to get some sort of change for something thats not really broken because you got beat and you think you should have won well then I dont know what to tell you.

All a FDR change is going to do is slow the cars top speed down....now that would be fine with me. Just dont think that an FDR change is going to do anything other then that....its not going to make anyone a better driver or anyone a worse driver orther then brand new racers.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you looked over the qualifying results from the Nats you will see that everyone else other then Brad were really close together in their mains.
wish we could

sorry that was for BATTBOY

oh and rick my mbx5 is good enough to wreck you once you get back in the state!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
so how did the VTA racing go at your track this past weekend?...wheres you race report?...

chime in folks...
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Isn't this what VTA was supposed to be ?
Im not upset just getting tired of people saying things that you need to do this to be fast and thats what the fast guys are doing so thats why they are faster. When thats not the case they are faster because they are better drivers period. No electronic gizmo or heated tires or Lipo is going to change that.

If you looked over the qualifying results from the Nats you will see that everyone else other then Brad were really close together in their mains. This to me means that whats already in place is working number 1 and number 2 another FDR isnt going to change things much. Brad would still have TQed and everyone else would have finished about where they finished. So the Isn't this what VTA was supposed to be ? idea is already there now and thats how it is. If you are seeing it another way then I dont know what else to tell you. If your crying out to get some sort of change for something thats not really broken because you got beat and you think you should have won well then I dont know what to tell you.

All a FDR change is going to do is slow the cars top speed down....now that would be fine with me. Just dont think that an FDR change is going to do anything other then that....its not going to make anyone a better driver or anyone a worse driver orther then brand new racers.[/QUOTE]

I never went to the Nats with a thought of even coming close to winning. I was just there to participate and support this class.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
I was just pointing out where I got my FDR figures from. Hope it didn't come across as "you're cheating!". We've had several guys start out with something out of the norm geared to mesh with the others. Have fun!!
Oh, not at all! I was just saying I know what I'm running isn't the usual and am just looking for a way to make it work within the class. Anyways, thanks for the help. I think I'm going to start at 100t/30t and go from there. Even geared down, will I still experience more power on tap with that extra voltage? Any other ideas to even it up a little? Throttle trim perhaps?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
Nash is right..we started out with 27t and 17.5 lipos...none of us had 4 cell so our race director came up with the "magic" fdr...for all types of touring cars...the list is pretty neat..

my TC3 27t /lipo car is set at 96 spur 30 pinion for a FDR 8.00...

my TC3 17.5 / lipo car is at 88/41 for a FDR of 5.37...

the chart on the coolsprings web page will work for anybody with any type of chassis...if all you have is 27 turn motors and lipos this will work for you and keep you even with USVTA...its really a little slower than 21.5/lipo..we have had several outta towners run our chart and find it very helpful with newbies and return racers....but be aware that at some tracks they might not allow it ...so ask first..and if so feel free ...cya and hope this helps get you going...

100/31 is dead on...the 30 will work...but if you got a 31 use it
Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

There are no plans to over complicate the simple and effective USVTA rules with battery specifics and "legal" ESC listings. If a specific track is having difficulty keeping 4-cell options up with the LiPo spec, then it it fully the track's responsibility to adapt and adjust, and not the USVTA's. If there is a national need for adjustment, then put together facts and information, and a reasonable argument to make a change, and submit it to me or robk.

I can't stop people from painting their cars like Hara.

I can't stop people from using tire warmers.

I can't stop people from using the "latest and greatest" betteries.

I can't stop people from trying to one-up their competitors with every trick they know.

It's racing. No matter what level you participate in, from the slowest R/C cars, to the fastest real race cars, from horses to pinewood derby cars, boats and turtles—someone is going to try to beat you at all costs!

The rules package is solid and stable. If you can't win every race, don't blame the rules for you getting beat.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Champion

I have several tired 4 cell packs and a tired 27turn. I know Im not the best driver and keeping it off its roof makes for better lap times. But even on the straight, that car is somebodies lunch. I was thinking about putting a tired 19 turn in it. I think it would still be slower than the 21.5 cars.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have always wondered because I wanted to try and run a 4 cell pack, how long do most ni-cd and ni-mh packs last on a stock 27t motor. It always seemed to me that the lack of juice would leave me hangin at the end of a race. Is this true or does the lack of weight actually negate that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.