Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

GM Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was geared on 6.13:1 on programme mode 8, lipo mode.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RSCosworth
I was geared on 6.13:1 on programme mode 8, lipo mode.
I have run 6.35 with Martin's LiPo program for 13.5T. Software version 7.2. (it should not be too far from mode 8). Temp about 65-70 Degrees Celcius after 5 minute race. Motor was GM 13.5T. Indoor with rubber tires. Outdoor earlier this year we ran same setup, but with 5.9 FDR. Temp was then 80-85 degrees Celcius. Same motor and it still runs well (fast!).

Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default GM Newbie

Hi All

I have just purchased a second hand 120 with 4.9 firmware on and had a few questions which i need help with;

1. What is the difference between the 4.9 and 7.2 firmware?

2. DOes anyone have a recommended speed controller setting for the 4.9 firmware, i was just going to put it in mode 8 and run it, i will be using an epic 13.5 motor factory timing, indoors on a large 32x16m track?? does mode 8 have a lipo cut off on, if so what is it set at 4v or 6v?

3. I need to get the pc software, is it simply a case of downloading it from the gm website or is that software only designed for a speedo with 7.2 firmware? Am i able to once the software is downloaded leave the speedo in mode 8 but change things such as the lipo cut off?

4. Really beginner question this one but, how do you set the speedo to the transmitter without using the computer software, I have wired up the car and turned it on it seems to be ok and finding the endpoints correctly but i would rather set it up and be sure, or is it the case that the speedo automatically finds the endpoints when you are flicking through the different modes, ie 1-8??

Sorry about all the questions,

Thanks

Mark
Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bony85
Hi All

I have just purchased a second hand 120 with 4.9 firmware on and had a few questions which i need help with;

2. DOes anyone have a recommended speed controller setting for the 4.9 firmware, i was just going to put it in mode 8 and run it, i will be using an epic 13.5 motor factory timing, indoors on a large 32x16m track?? does mode 8 have a lipo cut off on, if so what is it set at 4v or 6v?

3. I need to get the pc software, is it simply a case of downloading it from the gm website or is that software only designed for a speedo with 7.2 firmware? Am i able to once the software is downloaded leave the speedo in mode 8 but change things such as the lipo cut off?

4. Really beginner question this one but, how do you set the speedo to the transmitter without using the computer software, I have wired up the car and turned it on it seems to be ok and finding the endpoints correctly but i would rather set it up and be sure, or is it the case that the speedo automatically finds the endpoints when you are flicking through the different modes, ie 1-8??

Thanks

Mark
There are some profile settings on the demon website that may help : http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=3871
Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Smartypants
There are some profile settings on the demon website that may help : http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=3871
The ones on Demon's site are for 7.2 aren't they ?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 AM
Tech Addict

Hi All

Thanks

Mark

Mark,
1: 7.2 seems a bit easier to setup, not sure of the technical details
2: I've got settings I've used in 13.5 with 4.9, you're welcome to try them (assuming you're there on sunday)
3: You need to get the USB driver software and the PC software (1.3.6 i think is the version at the moment) but it'll work with both 4.9 and 7.2 I'll have the software with me on sunday if you haven't found a copy by then.
4: Make sure your throttle and brake endpoints are set to 100%, then change modes on the speedo (press setup button, then go full throttle, full brake etc until you get to whatever mode you want) The speedo 'learns' where your endpoints are as you do this.

Cheers
Chris
Old 12-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Smartypants
Uhg, they don't like Poland? 403 forbiden, from 5 another internet providers ...

Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hi All

Hi Dude!

ad 1:
HUGE!

4.9 is "preset" by factory and you should play with this
by 1.1.5 pc software, there is 3 modes that you can use,
mode 3 for modified, mdoe 6 or 8 for spec/stock racing, but
you can COPY mode 8 to 3 for lipo 2S racing or 6 to 3 for
5 cell racing in stock/spec class

With mode 8 be carefull, you can fire your engine
Start from 6.5FDR or higher and check temp.

There is howto: http://binahof.spaces.live.com/blog/...ry?sa=87399054
or there:: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...shless-34.html , same story
from Martin.

From my experience, set 4.9 soft by 1.1.5 and try change something by 1.3.6 = bad work,
maybe 1.3.6 do something bad ... or maybe I do something bad

At 7.2 you can have 8 profiles set by 1.3.6 pc software,
and all profiles can be totally different

ad 2:
Read Martin's spec/stock howto for this version
mode 8 IMHO is for "burning" and made a lot of TEMP
IMHO mode 8 over 3 is better for 13.5T/Lipo2S.

Just set 6V, if you have good LIPO and need power you can set 5.8V,
don't go under, you break lipo.

ad 3: Yes, some pages ago I wrote about it:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...shless-78.html

if you switch by TX to mode 8, download data to PC, set voltage cut off
just send data to ESC again, if you do it this, ESC store settings
for this mode and keep them until you do factory reset or change them
again by pc software.

ad 4: Did you read manual? If you set, example mode 8, by TX,
ESC store transmitter data and keep them, when you do MOVE
on trothlle to max forward and max reverse, ESC "Learn" where
end point is.

I don't remember that 1.1.5 soft can "store" TX data in file ... but 1.3.6 can
and if can, you can do like this, switch mode by TX, load data
to PC, load data from GDA file (from another user) to PC program,
load your TX data and send it to ESC. And it works with 7.2/7.6(older
GM like 95, 100 ..) with 1.3.6 pc soft.

Btw, small tip for you, check 100% EPA on TX, if futaba, set
reverse on Th, then turn on ESC, push and HOLD buton on
ESC, esc made some bip tone, then, 1st max F, 2nd max R, and count,
1,2,3,4,5,6, hold in 6 place, release finger from esc buton,
and hold th until esc send some bip tones. Release finger from TH,
you are set.

If you hold finger on esc too long, esc made some bip tones and ONE LONG BIP, ESC is reset to factory settings

maybe i should wrote manual or something, and this should be put on the top,
all is wrote in this thread.

Regards!
m.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

it has all been asked, answered and written down here before so you should be ok

with 4.9 use mode 8 with factory settings for 13.5 lipo with a gearing between 6.0 and 7.0

PC software V 1.3.6 is what you should use or 4.9 and newer
Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Last time we ran 13.5 on v4.9

One of us geared at 6.6 on mode 8 and
the other tried mode 3 (geared at 5.9) and they were similar in terms of temp/speed. (65-70C after a 5 minute run)
Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

A complete newb so please bear with me... Basically i have just purchased a GM Genius 80r Race ESC. At the moment im only using my TX to change settings etc but A) its timely and B) it doesnt seem to have options like running motor rotation in reverse(luckily its running in correct direction as i dont think you can swap the wires around on a sensored motor)...

Im looking to order the programming box or USB kit but i would like to know if i can indeed use the USB - PC kit like the 120 uses??? what advantages do i get over TX and also over the programming box??? Can i update the firmware on this ESC? if so what and where do i need to go.

Any help would be great as finding info is ni-on impossible unless you speak German.

FYI im running:-

GM Pro Stock 10.5T Star Wind Brushless Motor
GM Genius 80R Race ESC 7157 (all stock settings apart from battery type)
Associated RC12R5 1/12 Pan car (88t spur/34t pinion)
Spektrum DX3s and Sr3300
4 cell nimhs

Am looking for a good setup for the above.

Many Thanks

Daniel

Last edited by sn00p; 12-17-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chris_dono
Mark,
1: 7.2 seems a bit easier to setup, not sure of the technical details
2: I've got settings I've used in 13.5 with 4.9, you're welcome to try them (assuming you're there on sunday)
3: You need to get the USB driver software and the PC software (1.3.6 i think is the version at the moment) but it'll work with both 4.9 and 7.2 I'll have the software with me on sunday if you haven't found a copy by then.
4: Make sure your throttle and brake endpoints are set to 100%, then change modes on the speedo (press setup button, then go full throttle, full brake etc until you get to whatever mode you want) The speedo 'learns' where your endpoints are as you do this.

Cheers
Chris
1. Would be interesting to see what it does but i suppose if it is better and easier thats enough to know

2. cool, may well nick them off you on sunday, i was going to start on mode 8, though is 8 over 3 better for 13.5 i see martin recommended straight 8

See you on sunday, lets hope we are not snowed in
Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

1. Would be interesting to see what it does but i suppose if it is better and easier thats enough to know

2. cool, may well nick them off you on sunday, i was going to start on mode 8, though is 8 over 3 better for 13.5 i see martin recommended straight 8

See you on sunday, lets hope we are not snowed in
yeah, it's pretty bad here, hopefully it clears a bit for Sunday !

i'm running 7.2 on the one in the car, so I can show you the differences between that and yours on Sunday, weather permitting of course
Old 12-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

How do you reset a GM120 to how it came out of the box when you bought it ?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

pick any mode and push & hold the set button after you have moved the throttle tigger the last time untill the esc beeps.
It will beep different / more often if done correct and reboot in mode 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.