Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

STLNLST Delta is running offroad this weekend. Luke and I are going to burn some fuel.

NEVADA PAINTS
Old 06-20-2003, 09:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I think Johnbull is the biggest contributor to the SD outside of Yokomo as well! You deserve to be commended for all of your research that will help a lot of us out. I hope both you and your son continue to kick ass at the racetrack, and keep workin on the SD!

I only hope that I can contribute at least 50% of what you have to this thread.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Stlnlst- no one that I know of in the norcal region is racing this saturday, two county fairs and a track owner moving put the breaks on the racing action. I do have a secret testing area that I'm going to be using to torture test these new Tobee aluminum input shafts and driveshafts though. I think my car is about a pound lighter after adding these parts, and it's all in the rotating mass area
Old 06-20-2003, 11:09 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, I got all my Tobee stuff on except the dogbones. That main drive shaft and the input shafts are pretty cool. About 1/2 the weight of stock. I still want the Square Titanium input shafts though.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:19 AM
Tech Champion

Mo- I'll see if the aluminum input shafts will hold up before I decide to get the Ti ones. Did you have to take out one of the spacers on the front input shaft? My front was bound up but when I took one spacer out it was fine, it doesn't have any play in it so it should be ok. I like this center shaft, it's almost as light as the graphite one but it should hold up much better.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:44 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Nope, didn't have to change my spacing any. The fit in the bearings was a little tighter than stock so maybe you just didn't have the shaft fully seated. You might want to double check it.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Thanks first of all for the compliments which are very much appreciated.

WYD.

I don't know whether it's something to do with our track surface, but our cars work best with plenty of droop. This is why I run TC3 shocks on both my Yokes. They are that much longer. Also the longer springs give you a more progressive compression so the car doesn't bounce about so much.

You can however use the kit shocks with HPI shock shafts. They are slightly longer than the kit Yoke ones, but not as long as TC3. One other reason I like to use the TC3 ones is because of the hex on the shock body. It makes unscrewing so much easier without damaging the shock bodies. I have the new Yoke shock caps on the TC3 shocks and it gives them a very nice feel. And they seem to work.

MATT & MO.

What Tobee parts have you got fitted. I have ordered a load of their stuff. If we can get less rotational weight that would be great. I have both the Tobee alloy layshafts and the Square titanium ones ordered. If the Tobee are man enough for the job then they should be lighter. I already have a carbon prop shaft - shortened TC3. That has now been on for 6 weeks including 2 championship rounds in stock plus 2 weeks testing with mod without any problems.

I also have the alloy MR4 drive shafts fitted, and yet the cars is over the 1500 gram weight limit without any lead weights. That's a bit disappointing because it would have been nice to be able to move the weights around.

Do you guys run foam or rubber tyres?

We have the final round of our National championships tomorrow. I will be running the SD with front one way, and the Special will be getting a run too in the hands of a friend who is here on holiday from UK.

You know, when I drive that Special it just inspires so much confidence. It's just glued to the track.

Must get on and get the motors done.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:16 AM
Tech Champion

johnbull- I put on the aluminum input shafts front and rear, the lightened aluminum center shaft, and I put the aluminum CVD bones in the rear. The input shaft really take alot of weight off. In the summer we run rubber tires outdoors but we go to foams on the carpet in the winter time
Old 06-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Matt Howard
. In the summer we run rubber tires outdoors but we go to foams on the carpet in the winter time
hopefully not this year......
Old 06-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got the SD yesterday and already raced it this morning...
i got to say this car is dialed out of the box, first time i ran it was the last qualifying already (was still fixing the car in the track earlier) and managed to get TQ in stock class... im definitely going to try it out with a modified motor...

JOHN BULL:

i used the AE shock assembly with the yokomo springs, aside from getting more droop, what else would you say is the advantage? i also like running with a lot of droop... would you say that the AE shocks are a little stiffer than the YOKE shocks?

whats the caster of the C Hubs?

any suggestions, tips on installing the motor? (its kinda tight) do you still use the screws that came with the kit?

thanks...

J A S O N
Old 06-21-2003, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

the c hubs are 4 degrees, and standard front kick-up is 1 degree.

i find the kit screws and the supplied long allen driver are ideal for fitting the motor, it doesn't seem cramped once you've done it a few times - slide the driver under the rear wishbone to get to the bottom screw.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Johnbull - How much droop are you running? Do the arms droop lower than the chassis?
Old 06-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Okay, got back from a day of racing today. Not the best of luck... broke an Arm in one heat... brush hung up in the other. Could of had a possible TQ. But oh well. Anyways.... today I ran the Tobee Craft F/R input shafts along with the Tobee drive shafts in the front paired up with Square Ti axles. Stock main shaft, didn't feel like running the Yok graphite one. Yok aluminium drive shafts in the rear. All this in Mod Class. So far everything has held up on this technical track. I was even running a spool for part of the day and a oneway the other.

I was also running a semi Masami Reedy Race setup. Except Green springs all around and 35wt F/30wt R. Car handled pretty good. I think I should have stuck with the spool the whole day but I didn't. Also track temp changes from 135 during the day to 95 by early evening. Anyways, it was quite interesting and I'd like more time with this setup to fine tune it for this track. I also changed rear camber from 0° to -1°.

Well I'll be running the car once again tomorrow at the Durham track getting setup for the Nationals. Should be pretty interesting to see who shows up to race. The track will be technical with some abrubt turns, not smooth like the other track here. So gearing will be something to play with. So far in the past... gearing at Durham was around 7.1 final with a 10 turn. But now with a much more technical side to the track... I'm sure gearing will be much different.

Blah blah blah... anyways... catch yall L8Rz. Just wanted to let you know soo far the Tobee Craft parts have held up in Mod class. Only problem is getting a spool to hold up without much notching of the drive cups... yada yada yada... catch yall L8Rz..

Jimmy Mac
Old 06-21-2003, 09:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I was thinking, when you run a spool, don't you really risk breaking the outdrives if you hit a rail? I think Yokomo should put out an aluminum piece to replace the plastic outdrives.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default NEED HELP!

ran the SD was able to get tq and won in 19t spec... im really happy with the car specially with its speed and handling. have broken the front one way gear though. any solutions on this? and whats the reason for it stripping??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.