Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

PAUL (Lonestar). Congratulations, and welcome to the world of Yokomo.

I received a parcel of Yoke spares this morning which included some SD bits for me, including the front one way, spare SSG bits, etc.

I have just put it on and will be testing this evening. I am back with stock 21 turn motor as we are racing on Sunday, but have been having fun with 12 turn mods the last couple of weeks.

I increased spring rates all round very slightly and am now using the dark military green Yokomo springs which were fitted to the first batch of plastic MR4s. They are fractionally harder than the purple Fastrax springs I had been using but are just as long. I ran it with these springs yesterday (mod) found a bit more understeer initially which was solved by going to 1 degree toe out in front.

I did some interesting battery tests with mod earlier in the week and came up with some quite surprising and conclusive results, using 3000s. Will report about my findings later.

Today I will be trying 24mm Take Off CS27s on 26 mm wheels. I have been told by many people that these tyres sit better on 26s rather than 24s, and indeed they seem to. We will see how they perform with the same Schumacher grey insert I have been using.

It's 5pm. Must start packing. Have a good morning, afternoon, night.....wherever you happen to be in the World.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Steve - I was just going to keep the rear shaft in my pit box just in case it was needed, but if you will exchange it, I would appreciate that. I am kinda afraid to use the one I have, as I think it will propably blow out all 3 rear bearings it sits on. I found a lot of resistance twisting it by hand, but imagine what it would be like at 10,000 or so RPM's.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Ralf
Guys,

Do you know if on the black SD there is the center carbon plate ?

thx

Chassis configuration on both the black and SSG version should be identical.

Looking to buy the black SD as well.

Last edited by rc-zombies; 06-19-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I spoke with Yokomo USA about the black version yesterday. And they said it should be arriving in two weeks time.

Randman,

You got PM

Steve Wang
Old 06-19-2003, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Looking for some info on the rear tower on the front mod. What have you guys found is the benifit of the rear tower and right now I am looking to cure an off power push situation and have the tower ready to put on the front, but did not know what the other racers have found?

Jeff
Old 06-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The rear tower on front will give you a little more off power initial steering, that's what I was looking for too when I put it on and it worked for me.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

i think im going to try it...
Old 06-19-2003, 07:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

My car has 0 off power push, the rear end is actually loose, I'm gonna have to stiffen up the front end of the car. I recommend the rear shock tower mod to anyone who loves a ton of steering.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Steve- You have the best service I have ever seen! I am sure the new imput shaft will work fine, defects happen, otherwise tobee craft would be out of business, rather than bieng known for having some of the best aluminum products avalible. Thanks again Steve!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:47 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

johnbull I broke down and bought a new SD today. I have it almost built. Just need to put on the bumper, body mounts, put electronics in, and paint my new Protoform Alpha 2.0 and it is ready to race on Saturday evening.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Good morning guys and greetings from Malta.

WYD.

Congratulations and welcome back to the fold.

I took both my Yokes down to the track yesterday. A friend from England will be running my Special on Sunday's race meeting so he had a couple of runs to aclimatise. His verdict......this car is absolutely dialled to the track. Thank you George.

I ran my SD with the front one way yesterday and yes it felt much better on the fast sweeping corners.

I then tried the CS27 Take Offs on 26mm wheels, replacing the CS22s on 24mm rims I had been running with. Again the car seemed much more stable, and after 2 runs the tyres are just like new - no feathering, no scrubbing, just right.

In fact my best run of the day came on my second run with the CS27s.

Interestingly my lap times with 12 turn mod and 21 turn stock vary by exactly a second. In stock I just dip into the 22s (best yet 22.85). In mod I just dip into the 21s (best 21.79). The problem is that son Josh is knocking on 20s - and regularly (best lap 21.05).

How the hell does he do it!

I finally got my SSG chassis for the special too, so I will be fitting that next week.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by rc-zombies
Chassis configuration on both the black and SSG version should be identical.

Looking to buy the black SD as well.

LOL,

Thanks RC Zombies
Old 06-20-2003, 07:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

With all of the cash I dumped into this car, I dont know if I could afford to build another SD like it. I think I will just buy the black carbon parts as tuning pieces though.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:22 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

johnbull I hope this baby works. What type of shock lengths do you run? I saw a setup that used long shock ends on the front and they you move the caster into the upper mounting position. It makes the front shock 64mm long. I noticed that the car has hardly any ride height when built to stock specs, especially in the rear.

I run foams so my tire sizes run from the biggest at 62mm to the smallest I run in 57mm. This gets me the most amounts of runs from my tires. If I run the stock shock length setup my car is going to run on the ground.

Thanks
Brian
Old 06-20-2003, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Johnbull- I got to tip my hat to you on your testing. You certainly have gone that extra mile with the SP and looks like you are going to do the same with the SD. Congrats to you and you son on being national champs.

Matt H- Have you checked to see if Delta was racing this weekend? I have the same itch that you have but that would be a last resort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.