Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corally SP12X

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

I think you make a very valid point about the plastic stripping in the radio tray posts. I have at least one that is very close to needing replacement. I think they are the same length as the 12M posts - i have some on order so hopefully they are!!!

As for rear wheel fitting. It's the same problem that all 12th cars have. They are made to run Jaco/CRC offset wheels. Where as Parma, TRC/GRP (flouro yellow) have the different offset. Personally, i just shim the axle - the same as people would with virtually every other car. I only use TRC and Parma wheels/tyres.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Cheers for the reply mate. What screws do you use for Parma wheels then? I used a C12 before this and you had to run longer screws not only because of the off set but because I also ran carbon spacers between the hub and the wheel to get the rear width back out to 172mm.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

I forgot to mention as well Matt, are you going to be at the Plymouth National in a couple of weeks? That's my home club so if I can get the time off work then I'll be up there to say hello!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Std screws with Parma wheels - but like i say i don't run those spacers in there as i shim the axle.

Yes will be at the Plymouth national.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As you mentioned about adjusting the front camber, I put in a regular 3x6 button head screw and use motor shims under the head of it to adjust my camber, its a very fast way of adjusting your camber if you need to on the fly at the track.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

I had a look at using the standard screws for Parma rear wheels but only a very small amount of thread actually goes into the hubs, have you had any problems with that at all? I would like a little more thread in there if possible so maybe longer screws cut down to the right size?? As for the front end tip, you know what, I did exactly that with the CEFX car, so why did n't I think of that with this? DOH!! I will hopefully get to run the car this weekend at Torquay, next weekend is the Plymouth winter series race and the weekend after that is the Plymouth national. Hopefully it'll go in a straight line and turn both ways by then. Feel free to come over and say hello mate, I'll be the one scratching my head trying to get his new 12X setup right! Cheers guys, Chris.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Chris, I'll echo MattW's comments on the screws and the Parma/TRC wheels - absolutely no problems at all with retaining the wheels using standard kit screws - and using spacers in the axle to get the right width for different wheel offsets. It might not look right to you, but go on, use them; you'll get over it!!

See you at Plymouth!!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

hey Kartermdb do u have an set up for the sp12x for mid to good tracktion
carpet track been haveing heck of an time settin it up with the stock
front end, i know few guys who use the 12L front end and they are havein
better luck with it
Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have had my car out on the track for two weekends and have had real issues with the durability of the lower rear pod plate/spacer/t-bar. I broke these bits on both occasions. The first was understandable but the second time arround I was nerfed from behind...enough to unsettle the car but didn't even knock me off line and presto-changeo all three bits were broken again. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just a basher!!??!! (I know I am setting myself up for some abuse here...play nice buys!!)

On the up side...I placed third at the Edmonton leg of the Western Canadian Indoor Championship Series my first time out with the rear pod and spacer held together with CA!!!

Johnny T-Bone
Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, we've had a few similar incidents like that in the UK, but now they seem to have stopped. No one is sure why, but I agree it's an expensive breakage. I've done a T-piece and a bottom plate, but since fitting new ones I've had no problems, despite what seem like worse collisions!

@Vicko - We only have one driver (of about 6 at National level) left on the Corally front end. The car is much easier to set up, and drives better, with the Assoc front end, in our opinion. It seems a shame, but when you consider that the CEFX front end (same design, different execution) has also been swapped out for an Assoc. front end, and that there is no known car with that design (semi-trailing wishbones) used anywhere else in full-size or model racing, one has to ask why Corally went for it.

I don't think it is any co-incidence that David Spashett's car (with the Assoc. front end) was so much faster at the Worlds in Italy than the other Corally cars using the standard front suspension. HTH
Old 01-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
It seems a shame, but when you consider that the CEFX front end (same design, different execution) has also been swapped out for an Assoc. front end, and that there is no known car with that design (semi-trailing wishbones) used anywhere else in full-size or model racing, one has to ask why Corally went for it.
HTH
Actually, the guys from A-Main Racing here in the states made a 12L conversion about 8 years ago with a carbon fiber trailing front-end system. We tested it for weeks but found it scrubed too much speed in the corners, regardless of what we did...it was if the leverage created by the length of the arms resulted in significant camber gain regardless of the spring tension we used. Also the carbon arms were fragile and cracked often. One of the guys from A-Main racing ran it at cleveland but was two laps off the pace. I doubt I have photos of it. I was hoping the Corally set-up would have worked as it looks too cool. It bothers me to have to instal an associated front-end on a Corally chassis. Perhaps Corally should redesign an associated style front-end using its cor-alum materials
Old 01-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Have you guys not spent enough time with the corally front end or something? I have got it working perfectly, love the front end... And i haven't broken anything on my 12X and i have put it in a curb twice at full throttle with an 8x2 as my spektrum cut out

At first i didnt get much steering even with gold star fronts, but now i have ample steering even with silver fronts. love this car

P.S the other corally 12x driver at the worlds in the B main, did the same amount of laps as spashett in the main heats, i just dont think he qualified well. And he was running the 12x front. i think the only reason spashett swapped teh front is that he hadn't had much time running it. And he has had years and years experience with the associated type front.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

hey drivingpro can u give me any help on the stock front end"?

I would love to run the stock front end but its seems really hard to set up

any info u give me well help
Old 01-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

well this is the setup i posted in the other thread

Track: Low to mid grip levels, quite technical, medium sized track (outdoors)

We don't use traction additive

we don't have a stock pro12 class in NZ, just open motor and batteries to 4300mah. 8 minute races. So i usually run an 8x2 or 10x2 armature.

gearing: 102t spur to 27 t pinion

I've been running 1.5 degrees negative camber.
about 2-3mm down stop. (this limits the use of the springs, which can be advantegous)
running the softer (standard) spring for the shock.
standard shock oil.
i've been running the soft t-bar. (non standard)
I put a drop of the damper fluid in the side dampers before every run.
I run the pink corally rears if the weather is cold. And the kawada 1/12th soft compound rear tyres if it is a hot day (seems to love the heat, good if it is warm-hot since we run 8 minutes)

At first I wasn't able to get much steering with even gold stars. But with the setup above i've been able to get ample steering and consistency with silver fronts (not silver star)

Awesome car i must say. I really don't know why some people change the front with an associated front
I'm still learning about some bits of the front end, but every time i change something it seems to go better
Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

huh I only run on carpet

and how do u adjust camber? with the screws outside of the springs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.