R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #121
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcn_sweden
2. The bearing holders are also a problem. Since the plastic doesnít have so much support the rear axle move front and backwards and this can lead to that the spur gear will be damaged. We have not had any issues with the bearings at all.
We also have had this problem. We noticed that the plastic is more flexible than the older bearing holders, so we swapped them.

We also replaced the plastic axle washers with steel ones, which allows the axle to be close to the bearings, and it doesn't move. If there is too much side play on the axle, it allows the bearing holders to move out, become loose, and the spur gear is damaged.

Also, we put a small drop of superglue inside the bearing holder housing, smear it flat, and fix it with accelerator. This makes the bearing a much better fit, and there is no movement at all. HTH

Apart from that, the car is superb. I haven't driven a car this good out of the box for 30 years!! Using the 12L front end, which we think is much better than the standard Corally front end. When testing with the Corally front end, we found the softer springs (medium?) also help to smooth the car out.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #122
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by damirola
diff can't be tighten too much, otherwise it won't go smoothly,
I found that the bearing in hte spur gear is very tight. If it sticks out to the side facing the middle of the car, it hits the aluminium washer holder before the diff is tight.

Push the bearing out towards the hub (wheel) so it is flush with the spur gear on the inside. Now re-assemble the diff, and it will be perfect. Also make sure the o-ring is cleaned with solvent, and the diff washer, so they give good grip, otherwise the diff slips. HTH

I can't agree about the quality - these are minor issues compared to every other car on the market. I am sure that Corally will fix the other issues, and the problem with the diff is assembly issues.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #123
Tech Adept

Is this a problem with the Euro Spec or the US Spec? As our Euro Spec here are not experiencing these problems
FaiLip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #124
Tech Fanatic

Mine is a US Spec car, but the parts are the same for the Euro Spec. I think it is just an unfortunate clash of tolerances between the hole in the spur gear, and the outside of the bearing. A Kimbrough spur works just fine, and the hole in the spur is a fraction larger, so the bearing slides in, and can move from side to side. HTH
Old 11-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #125
Tech Regular

recently got me an SP12x US.

What servo's are you guys running in yours as my old Hitec does not seem to fit

Cheers
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #126
Tech Addict

I had the exact same problem, tried to take the hitec one I had in the 12l4 and install it in the SP12x and was to small, had to borrow a Futaba one which fit perfectly I think it was a 9650.

Tony
defMondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #127
Tech Adept

I am using a KO 949, and some of my friends are using the Futaba 9602, all working flawlessly.

Just tried a new setup over the weekend. forgot what part no is the part but it is the 1mm carbon fibre shim to lift the front suspension. It cured my problem from not being able to put power down on corner exit. Works well
FaiLip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:08 AM   #128
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants
recently got me an SP12x US.

What servo's are you guys running in yours as my old Hitec does not seem to fit

Cheers
Hi smartypants...
I am presuming from your location that you are going to be running at the 1/12 nationals?

I wont be at any more meetings for quite a while but if you do need help with anything, then the rest of the corally guys are more than happy to help.

I have Got the KO 949 in mine. as shown HERE

I also have a new 'custom' chassis on the car now as the double row of servo mounting holes across the car could be a potential weak spot (if you give it a real bump)

For reference:

- The servo mounting points (for putting the optional associated style front end on the car) were mounted 8mm back from the rear set of servo holes.

- I have only ever really had a slight problem with the car & this was with the rear ride height adjusters and the back axle ballrace in them. A sideways bash can cause them to become 'loose' and may have a consequence for you meshing your motor as the back axle can move about!!.

The last time I drove it, it was awesome, and the only thing that let it down was my driving.

I have never driven a car that has handled as well ever.

farewell for now
Pete
pete_slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #129
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply guys, i got a Futaba 9602 in the end, going to try it out over the weekend. Will report back with the damage report soon as i have not been racing 1/12th for long
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #130
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Have any of you guys had any problems with the kit not coming with the steering links? I got the dummy bar and rod ends, but not the real ones....
Travis Repp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #131
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

they should have been in the box in the bag of stuff, havent heard of this before, but unfortunately there is always a first for everything. im sure someone at corally usa will take good care of you
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #132
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartermdb
they should have been in the box in the bag of stuff, havent heard of this before, but unfortunately there is always a first for everything. im sure someone at corally usa will take good care of you
...pretty weird, but they were not in there... Is there someone specific I should contact to get this resolved promptly, and correctly?
Travis Repp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #133
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Repp
...pretty weird, but they were not in there... Is there someone specific I should contact to get this resolved promptly, and correctly?
Yeah. You can call me next week.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2006, 09:16 AM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default set up for carpet

hey anyone have an good set up for the car for good to high tracktrion, and what the some of the set screws for the front end for i thinks 1 is for endstop
but the other screw near the spring i'm not so sure what that is for, I have some over streeing issues with the car
Vicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #135
Tech Master

Hi guys,

I have just built up a US spec12X and thought Iíd share some thoughts and ideas with you as well as ask some questions too. Overall, it is a high quality kit that goes without saying but do you think Corally could have adopted a more US style of rear axle/diff assembly? What I mean by that is if you buy an IRS (common in most kits) or a CRC setup, you know that you can buy any US style wheels (Parma, CRC, TRC, etc) and they are going to fit with no major problems. I happen to have some CRC and TRC rear wheels which fit on the Corally hubs but only by about 2.5 threads on the supplied bolts. You canít put longer bolts in either because they will catch on the o-ring assembly inside the hub. How do I put my Parma wheels on then because they have more off-set than the others so they need longer bolts, any know how to do this because I have loads of Parma rears that I would like to use at some point! I also noticed that you have to be careful bolting down the cross brace into the nylon blocks because slightly too much and it will strip the blocks (I may use aluminium standoffs to stop this happening). Moving towards the front end, I was told to use a little bit of thread lock on the screws that adjust the camber. I have actually used the screw to set the camber and then put a nut on the underside of the wishbone to hold it in place. Just a little bit easier than using thread lock and because the front end is held on with just 2 screws, its easy to undo the nut, readjust the camber setting and then do the nut back up and not have to put more thread lock on there. Has anyone had any problems with the front wheels coming undone? Some of the wheels I have tried will not let the nut do up very much because it locks the bearings up if you do it up too much, has anyone found a way of getting around this? Maybe a smaller profile nut perhaps? Now that the car has been out for a little while, Iím sure that other owners have come across some of these problems and have found a way around them, if you could share your thoughts with me that would be great!

I do think that Corally have really gone to the extremes of wieght saving on the 12X (even though the original 12x had even less material on it!) so lets hope I learn how to not hit other cars, track markers, marshals, etc!

All the best,

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Corally SP12X-dscn4175.jpg  
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote