Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2213Likes

Xray X4

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-12-2023, 09:53 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Xray X4
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
XRAY X4'22 Helpful tips & setups

Tips:

Installing the hex on the driveshaft - Make 100% sure you have the flat spot lined up on the axle with the cutout in the hex as shown in the manual. If you do not do this, it will make disassembly so much harder. The flat spot is there so you can fit a flathead screwdriver in between the shaft and the c-clip to pop it off when you want to remove the hex. Also, when removing the c-clip I would recommend pointing it down into your pit mat/towel so the clip does not go flying and disappear.

Assembling the upper arms - Make sure to grease the threads on the camber screw (302640). This will make assembly and camber adjustments much easier. Also, when adjusting camber you want to make sure you hold the upper arm so it does not twist while you turn the screw.

Droop - It is important to remove the shocks. All team setup sheets will show droop settings with shocks removed. Simply detaching them from the arm will do. This is a change from how we set droop in the past.

Setups:

**If the super mods on this forum were actually right, and handled things correctly, they would not have gone back and deleted all the posts to hide things

***And since they are in the deleting mood now, they might as well go ahead and just delete all the images of the setup sheet, as originally requested via private comms.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

• L is link length
  • H is horn length
  • y is the vertical difference between the servo spline and the bell crank ball end when the servo horn is vertical
  • θ is the servo horn angle (sorry, accidentally transposed θ and Φ between the diagram and the equations)
  • d is the distance between the servo spline and bell crank ball end

Let's input some example numbers. θ of 30 degrees in both directions, assuming neutral is vertical. L is 35mm, H is 20mm, y is 15mm. d works out to be 31.62mm at neutral, 42.75mm when the vehicle is turning left, 22.76mm when the vehicle is turning right. That's 11.13mm delta left, 8.86mm delta right, demonstrating that when the horn is vertical at neutral, the left and right motion is asymmetrical.

The above math ignores the fact that the bell crank moves through the z axis, which will change the effective length of L viewed on the x/y plane. This is safe to ignore for demonstration purposes since that movement is symmetrical in both directions.
Lonestar, PDR, Bsthetech and 1 others like this.

Last edited by gigaplex; 04-08-2022 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:58 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

<tongue firmly in cheek> wouldn't a subscript for the elements of the sets x & y be more readable?

<pressing even harder> am I gonna need a sin/cos table on my pit table? Given the recent rain, I ain't getting a tan.
Dan the Man and gigaplex like this.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDR
<tongue firmly in cheek> wouldn't a subscript for the elements of the sets x & y be more readable?
Yes. It's been a while since I've actually written this stuff down. At work I do it in my head. At least you can read my handwriting

Originally Posted by PDR
<pressing even harder> am I gonna need a sin/cos table on my pit table? Given the recent rain, I ain't getting a tan.
There's an app for that now.
Dan the Man likes this.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Welp, that took the fun out of building my X4.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hunterdawg
Welp, that took the fun out of building my X4.
​​​​​​"But teacher, I'm never going to use this again!"
Old 04-08-2022, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndreasHerold
Comparing both possibilities looks similar to this:

Darkblue and lightblue show right and left with the horn being perpendicular to the link. Movement is not perfectly symmetrical but pretty close. Dark and light orange show right and left movement with the horn being perpendicular to the chassis. The lines depart very soon and the different gradient of the lines also indicates the different speed they have.
THANK YOU.

AT LAST THIS DISCUSSION IS SETTLED NOW
Old 04-08-2022, 02:09 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

If I don't win a race, I will blame it on improper optimal servo horn angle positioning.
Lonestar, gigaplex and aracefan like this.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
If I don't win a race, I will blame it on improper optimal servo horn angle positioning.
im sure there are a few videos to get the optimal servo horn angle positioning
Old 04-11-2022, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
you certainly wouldn't be the first one....
Old 04-11-2022, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I didn't win my race... but that's because a newer driver drove me right into the wall.

It's on video.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Does the Shock Membrane tend to swell, and need replacing when you do a shock rebuild?
Old 04-23-2022, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
Does the Shock Membrane tend to swell, and need replacing when you do a shock rebuild?
Yes, it's been that way for Xray shocks for years. There is a video around, which shows how to re-use the old ones though, but I normally just replace mine. I don't re-build my shocks too often.

Found the video -
MeBeMikey and thirtydaZe like this.

Last edited by Scott_T; 04-23-2022 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added video link
Old 04-27-2022, 05:40 AM
Suspended

Congratulations to Keven Hebert & the team on the Mod TC win & overall great results at MHIC! Keven's winning Mod TC setup along with Alex Hagberg's podium setup have been added to the wiki at the top of this thread. In case you can't see the wiki, here are the links:
Also, all of the team setup sheets up until MHIC can be found at petitrc: https://site.petitrc.com/reglages/xray/setupx4/
Old 04-27-2022, 03:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
Hi,

if you soak the membranes in brake cleaner for approximately 15 mins, they’ll swell up further, put them on some kitchen/workshop towel to dry out for a few hours. The membranes we’ll return to their original size.
Scott_T and thirtydaZe like this.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
THANK YOU.

AT LAST THIS DISCUSSION IS SETTLED NOW
For me it settles that the perpendicular position is the closest but not the right one. From what I understand the two lines should be superposed, so it means that the ideal position is close to the perpendicular but should be found using the "secret symmetrical steering search" (ensuring that steering angles are identical left and right when EPA is equal).
Am I wrong?
Lonestar likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.