Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2213Likes

Xray X4

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-12-2023, 09:53 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Xray X4
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
XRAY X4'22 Helpful tips & setups

Tips:

Installing the hex on the driveshaft - Make 100% sure you have the flat spot lined up on the axle with the cutout in the hex as shown in the manual. If you do not do this, it will make disassembly so much harder. The flat spot is there so you can fit a flathead screwdriver in between the shaft and the c-clip to pop it off when you want to remove the hex. Also, when removing the c-clip I would recommend pointing it down into your pit mat/towel so the clip does not go flying and disappear.

Assembling the upper arms - Make sure to grease the threads on the camber screw (302640). This will make assembly and camber adjustments much easier. Also, when adjusting camber you want to make sure you hold the upper arm so it does not twist while you turn the screw.

Droop - It is important to remove the shocks. All team setup sheets will show droop settings with shocks removed. Simply detaching them from the arm will do. This is a change from how we set droop in the past.

Setups:

**If the super mods on this forum were actually right, and handled things correctly, they would not have gone back and deleted all the posts to hide things

***And since they are in the deleting mood now, they might as well go ahead and just delete all the images of the setup sheet, as originally requested via private comms.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airwave
For me it settles that the perpendicular position is the closest but not the right one. From what I understand the two lines should be superposed, so it means that the ideal position is close to the perpendicular but should be found using the "secret symmetrical steering search" (ensuring that steering angles are identical left and right when EPA is equal).
Am I wrong?
no you are right. There will never be overlapping abacus' (abaci?) but the perpendicular position is a better one than the vertical - then the extra fraction of fine tuning gets you even closer.

As soon as you go down in D/R though, due to the non-overlapping ab... curves, then you will need to readjust the steering link (and hence angle) a bit...

do you agree?
Old 05-02-2022, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For me it settles that the perpendicular position is the closest but not the right one. From what I understand the two lines should be superposed, so it means that the ideal position is close to the perpendicular but should be found using the "secret symmetrical steering search" (ensuring that steering angles are identical left and right when EPA is equal).
Am I wrong?
There is no "right one", it's mathematically impossible for both directions to match with that bellcrank design. However it's a bit moot since most people can't feel the car behaving asymmetrically anyway. If they did, the steering racks would have been redesigned by now.
glennhl likes this.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So making what I describe is useless? or it is 1% worth?
Old 05-03-2022, 01:47 AM
Tech Elite

So making what I describe is useless? or it is 1% worth?
not useless for sure, but not sure if worth the effort, at least during a busy raceday. When prepping the car on the bench, that's another story of course!!!

let's talk saturday at the track so we are on the same page! I think I've nailed it during the winter races this time but I want to run it through you first

a+
Paul
Old 05-12-2022, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Can anyone give me some insight on what will happen when a new version of the X4 is due. I'm new enough to Xray, and just curious. Will there be a total redesign for '23 or is it going to be a situation where there are minor changes, and will simply be releasing parts to keep the car up to date?

I realize none of us know the answer to this, and it will be all speculation, but i've been running awesomatix, and xray periodically, and am trying to drill down on what I want to keep as my permanent ride.

Obviously both companies have their plusses and minuses, and while both appeal to me, I do like the fact that i know that the awesomatix will likely have minor upgrades to the current car, and with xray there is likely going to be an urge to purchase new once a year.

Is there any word if that is going to continue to be the xray model, or now that the X4 is here, will upgrades become more minimal, and will they be giving us the option to bolt on new parts as they are improved upon instead of starting from scratch once a year?
Old 05-12-2022, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

As you said, nobody knows for sure, but I think it's most probable that Xray will update their new platform, the X4, just as they did their previous platform, the T4, i.e. incrementally, not drastically. Except that they will probably again change both chassis and motorplate, just to make it expensive enough that no one can (reasonably) just upgrade and will buy the new kit instead. Oh and the new kit will traditionally come this fall.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW
As you said, nobody knows for sure, but I think it's most probable that Xray will update their new platform, the X4, just as they did their previous platform, the T4, i.e. incrementally, not drastically. Except that they will probably again change both chassis and motorplate, just to make it expensive enough that no one can (reasonably) just upgrade and will buy the new kit instead. Oh and the new kit will traditionally come this fall.
Up until the 19 model it was pretty small increments. The 20 was a big change, and only 2 years later the T4 line was replaced with the X4. Predicting what they'll do next has never been so challenging.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Finally started putting my X4 together for the upcoming summer asphalt season. Have to say its going together nicely. The ball fit in the new carbon arms is downright sexy. TOTALLY smooth. I used the 17mm alignment jig for the bulkheads but I don’t think it was even necessary. Well done Xray.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Up until the 19 model it was pretty small increments. The 20 was a big change, and only 2 years later the T4 line was replaced with the X4. Predicting what they'll do next has never been so challenging.
I'd be surprised if the 23 was such a departure from the 22 as what the 20&21 was to the original T4... It would be quite a commercial gamble to change "platform" again....

In hindsight, I think the 20-21 line was really a gap filler while the team was working on the "new-standard" car - the MM and longer arms were probably easier to release to market quicker.

we should still expect an x4 '23 sometime this fall
Old 05-12-2022, 08:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The ‘23 will be a ‘22 with V2 parts standard and some other insignificant changes. Look for something slightly more significant in ‘24 (like non-circlip hexes or slightly larger shocks (Thanks AE - *sarcasm). If you see a deal on a used ‘22 best grab it. I suspect the price of the ‘23 will be significantly higher (like everything else right now).

Old 05-12-2022, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
In retrospect I'd call the change from 19 to 20, which I previously considered big as well, as only medium. It still was the T4 platform with many parts still common between them. Yes, they changed to mid-motor, and longer suspension (although you could still use the older parts for the latter), but at the core, it still was the same car. They X4 was a major shift, and while it created some controversy, it's seems to perform quite well, and not even Xray can afford to throw that out of the window and start anew once again, so I think it's pretty safe - IMO at least - that there will not be another major large scale change this fall.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ARENA Option Parts for X4 upper arm

Old 05-29-2022, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by matt prigmore
Hi,

if you soak the membranes in brake cleaner for approximately 15 mins, they’ll swell up further, put them on some kitchen/workshop towel to dry out for a few hours. The membranes we’ll return to their original size.
To those who have tried this trick ... which type of brake cleaner did you use? Regular, Non-Chlorinated, Reduced VOC?
Old 06-01-2022, 06:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

hi guys,
I sold all my equipment in 19 and had a 19 T4 back then. Now i'm thinking about coming back to the game , how do you guys like this out the box? does it take a lot of setup to make it work? I'm thinking this or the Mugen. (dont flame me lol) I miss onroad but there really isn't an onroad scene here in Florida anymore which is disappointing.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JEFF SC10
hi guys,
I sold all my equipment in 19 and had a 19 T4 back then. Now i'm thinking about coming back to the game , how do you guys like this out the box? does it take a lot of setup to make it work? I'm thinking this or the Mugen. (dont flame me lol) I miss onroad but there really isn't an onroad scene here in Florida anymore which is disappointing.
really ? FSEARA on road series this year has been getting 80-126 entries in each race

Last edited by Marcos.J; 06-02-2022 at 07:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.