Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2198Likes

Xray X4

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-12-2023, 09:53 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Xray X4
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
XRAY X4'22 Helpful tips & setups

Tips:

Installing the hex on the driveshaft - Make 100% sure you have the flat spot lined up on the axle with the cutout in the hex as shown in the manual. If you do not do this, it will make disassembly so much harder. The flat spot is there so you can fit a flathead screwdriver in between the shaft and the c-clip to pop it off when you want to remove the hex. Also, when removing the c-clip I would recommend pointing it down into your pit mat/towel so the clip does not go flying and disappear.

Assembling the upper arms - Make sure to grease the threads on the camber screw (302640). This will make assembly and camber adjustments much easier. Also, when adjusting camber you want to make sure you hold the upper arm so it does not twist while you turn the screw.

Droop - It is important to remove the shocks. All team setup sheets will show droop settings with shocks removed. Simply detaching them from the arm will do. This is a change from how we set droop in the past.

Setups:

**If the super mods on this forum were actually right, and handled things correctly, they would not have gone back and deleted all the posts to hide things

***And since they are in the deleting mood now, they might as well go ahead and just delete all the images of the setup sheet, as originally requested via private comms.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bsthetech
'23 presentation https://teamxray.com/x4/2023/?fbclid...ykB3YUyxR_sA#1
Ok...my take aways;

- I like the toe gain screws.
- The new SCS axle may be ok, but the orings on the '22 worked great. Don't know why they didn't implement that.
- I wonder if the previous plastic diff will work with the '23? Buying mulitple metal diffs for quick swaps will be stupid spendy.
O rings degrade quickly over time, the metal clips will last longer. The new hexes also have the advantage of being completely flat so no more clip interference on the setup station.

The diff is the same, not sure where you saw a metal diff.
Ggrant likes this.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I can say that I am honestly surprised and impressed with the changes made. Didn’t think much could be done other than including some options in the kit such as the BB outdrives and split top deck. Very nice.

can’t leave a comment without a little hate though. It would have been nice to include a channel in the motor mount for the rx wire.
bentouttashape likes this.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I can say that I am honestly surprised and impressed with the changes made. Didn’t think much could be done other than including some options in the kit such as the BB outdrives and split top deck. Very nice.

can’t leave a comment without a little hate though. It would have been nice to include a channel in the motor mount for the rx wire.
that’s on the ‘24 kit
moparSRT and gigaplex like this.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bsthetech
'23 presentation https://teamxray.com/x4/2023/?fbclid...ykB3YUyxR_sA#1
Ok...my take aways;

- I like the toe gain screws.
- The new SCS axle may be ok, but the orings on the '22 worked great. Don't know why they didn't implement that.
- I wonder if the previous plastic diff will work with the '23? Buying mulitple metal diffs for quick swaps will be stupid spendy.
Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying, but it looks like the diff itself is still plastic, just the outdrives are metal. But, if you didn't already have the outdrives for the BB drive shafts, you would need new ones for that.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not seeing anything to hate on other than it's not free. New shock package is sick, new axle/hex hub system is really trick, durability issues are buffed. I think this is a good release from Xray.
Sortafast, mr.rev and h2e like this.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
O rings degrade quickly over time, the metal clips will last longer. The new hexes also have the advantage of being completely flat so no more clip interference on the setup station.

The diff is the same, not sure where you saw a metal diff.
Got it...I misread the ad copy.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
(the good news is, the car will be even easier-er to drive)
Told.you so 😁

Dan, DirkW and gigaplex like this.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bentouttashape
I thought they were going to cancel the details release after I pre-ordered yesterday.

I pre-ordered today. First touring car, havent raced onroad since the 90s. Onroad is my favorite but unfortunately tracks are over an hour away but this car has had my attention for some time now.

So a couple questions for all of you. I don't have an xray dealer close so I need to order parts to have in my arsenal for spares. As far as spares go, I've heard and read hubs have been an issue. Do you recommend buying the plastics as replacements or stepping up to the aluminum or graphite? Extra belts, hubs, arms are all gonna be on order any other suggestions? I'll be racing asphalt so I ordered graphite chassy.

I live in Southern California but haven't made the rounds to all the LA/Orange county hobby shops so if you know anyone in those areas that carry parts for the X4 I would also appreciate leads. I'd rather spend my money locally and support our racing community if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions and info

Regards
Old 10-21-2022, 03:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LiL CeeZ
I live in Southern California but haven't made the rounds to all the LA/Orange county hobby shops so if you know anyone in those areas that carry parts for the X4 I would also appreciate leads. I'd rather spend my money locally and support our racing community if possible.
I’m not sure there are any places that cater to racers anymore. Maybe TQ RC Racing?
Old 10-21-2022, 03:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
I’m not sure there are any places that cater to racers anymore. Maybe TQ RC Racing?

TQ indoor in Ontario? Thought they were history?
Old 10-21-2022, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My only experience is w/the T4'21, not the X4, but from what I've seen the alum. steering blocks are more of a tuning option than a durability upgrade, one that I don't see used very often. Obviously, it stands to reason they'd be a bit more robust, but you won't find it on setup sheets too often. Personally, I'd rather bust a few of the $10 blocks than fork out $75 for alum.

Knock on wood, I have not broken or bent or tweaked anything on my T4 in over a year of running it on indoor carpet. I'd probably recommend a set of arms; however, the X4 arms are ~$25/ea., so personally I'd rather hold off until I actually broke one before buying. It's not going to be apples to apples, but I'm sure some current X4'22 owners can better guide you on what spares to keep. However, there appear to be significant updates on the new X4'23 announced today.

Buy the new kit, don't skimp on servo, and invest the rest in track time and tires.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LiL CeeZ
TQ indoor in Ontario? Thought they were history?
1370 Valley Vista Dr. Suite 200 Diamond Bar, CA 91765

looks like they moved.
LiL CeeZ likes this.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
1370 Valley Vista Dr. Suite 200 Diamond Bar, CA 91765

looks like they moved.

Last time I was there was probably 5 or more years ago to buy some Orcas. Have to check diamond bar our, thanks! Trying to find my way with this onroad venture. Miss the old days, Socal raceway in garden grove, abc in costa mesa etc..

Home track is Coyote Hobbies in victorville so ive been racing offroad for awhile to get my fix but this xray car brings back so many fond memories when I was a kid. Sweet car cant wait to build it. Been reading this thread religiously and every other bit of info I can find on the interwebz..
Old 10-21-2022, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

TQ is online only now, no retail store.

If you ever make it down to San Diego, The Lap Factory runs at Hobby Town Santee parking lot; usually once a month. Lots of racers from OC / LA make the drive down because its such a good program. The Hobby Town stocks some X4 parts, mainly the essential spares.
Steve Weiss and LiL CeeZ like this.
Old 10-21-2022, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I might change over my shocks to these new version - if they're actually good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.