Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

i am in need of a good 13.5 rubber tire set-up for carpet. i have a tc5r and i am new to the TC world so something pdf and easy to follow would be simplest for me, as a lot of this stuff is mumbo jumbo to me. the track i will be racing is not quite open yet so asking other local racers is kinda outta the question. thanks for any help.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cleblanc
i am in need of a good 13.5 rubber tire set-up for carpet. i have a tc5r and i am new to the TC world so something pdf and easy to follow would be simplest for me, as a lot of this stuff is mumbo jumbo to me. the track i will be racing is not quite open yet so asking other local racers is kinda outta the question. thanks for any help.
Josh Hohnstein has a very good set up on this thread. Just do a search. I ran this set up for the first time this weekend and was very stuck with the one way. Next time I will try the spool version in a couple of weeks.
By the way Thanks Josh for the set up.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

josh's setup is very good..the link is on pae 263..post number 7881...you wont be dissapointed with it
Old 01-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Here is the Josh H setup i am running on my car. The car had a little bit of a push with the Jaco blues gooped half way on the front but the car was consistant. I didnt haved much time to tweak at all but i will have a practice session next week.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JoshHrubber.pdf (205.0 KB, 202 views)
Old 01-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Josh,
I am using your "trackside" set up. I am a little loose on a lower traction carpet than you race on.
What changes would you recommend to tighten up the car and make it more consistent?
Thanks for all your help
God Bless
Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
Are you running the slipper pad spool or the original one piece spool that the gear bolts to? The slipper pad spool can come loose and cause similar issues.

A couple of things to check.
Shock lengths, all the same?
Tweak?
Same spacing of shims on the left and right side of the car?
Same bulkhead holes on the left and right side of the car?
Kraig,

Thanks for your response... I am running the original solid spool. I will check the screws.

I know the chassis has a very small amount of tweak with the ITF chassis in place, not much I can do about it or is there????. (seems to tweak with the top deck screws in place)

All the issuses arose when I had the ITF lower and top decks.

I am going to go through the car again...
Old 01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

If the chassis bows when you tighten the top deck down then use the blue countersunk washers from Associated.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSKX8&P=7
Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

thanks for the help guys. the #57 pistons he is reffering to, are those some he drills out or what?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

When you guys use the rubber ring in the four rear holes do they bulge out? They are for me and the spur gear sucks the two left ones in...I am using the orange shock rings and RC8 blue countersunk washers...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by Jsaves
Josh,
I am using your "trackside" set up. I am a little loose on a lower traction carpet than you race on.
What changes would you recommend to tighten up the car and make it more consistent?
Thanks for all your help
God Bless
Wow....a little loose. I would have killed to get that setup to be a little loose at the Novak race.

Where is it loose.......when you enter the turn, when you lift off the throttle in the middle of the turn or when you get back on the throttle exiting the turn?

Things that should help would be make sure you have enough rear toe in the car......3 deg is a must. You could also take out the rear hex spacing. You also might want to try 3-a for the rear link or 1-a with 2mm washers under it.

Josh Hohnstein
Old 01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by cleblanc
thanks for the help guys. the #57 pistons he is reffering to, are those some he drills out or what?
Thats the losi off road pistons.......I have been running the associated #3's lately and I think they drive about the same as 57's
Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein
Thats the losi off road pistons.......I have been running the associated #3's lately and I think they drive about the same as 57's
sweet!! and we're saving money! thanks josh
Old 01-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Suspended

For anybody with a TC5

These are machined by a friend to make an improvement over the standard design, after testing this was found to be true and are now used by the likes of Olly Jefferies, Tom Jefferies, David Ward, John Robson. Also Zac Smith (Not yet sponsored).. All some of the best drivers in England

**The Chassis & Top deck do require machining/dremeled to fit as the motor is being moved closer so the chassis & top deck do get in the way. In the long run it is worth it though!**..

If you wish to purchase a set, either send me a Pm on here or an email to [email protected] and ill send you full details of price etc.

Cheers Nick (sorry if this is in the wrong place.)
Old 01-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein
Things that should help would be make sure you have enough rear toe in the car......3 deg is a must. You could also take out the rear hex spacing. You also might want to try 3-a for the rear link or 1-a with 2mm washers under it.
Hey Josh,

I race with Bryan/jsaves...his car looks pretty good, it's just that our carpet gets rolled up between races and has a different layout each time we race so it never gets a "groove". Definitely something other than what you'd see at Novak...or even a decently attended 2-day event somewhere.

I see you've declared 3 deg rear to "a must". I'm building up a TC5R for use as a Vintage TransAm car and, to say the least, we're dealing with a fair bit less power and a FDR limit that hampers straight speed. One of the "tricks" I've seen is to minimize (eliminate?) rear toe to gain some speed by reducing the scrub of the rear tires. Any suggestions on offsetting that loss of rear toe through other adjustments?

Many thanks,

Scottrik
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
When you guys use the rubber ring in the four rear holes do they bulge out? They are for me and the spur gear sucks the two left ones in...I am using the orange shock rings and RC8 blue countersunk washers...
Sounds like you're overtightening them. Using o-rings like that the screw won't be "tight"...to do so causes the o-ring problems you're describing and really eliminates the reason they're in there.

You should only tighten the screw until the o-ring is compressed to the same diameter as the washer (or maybe a bit less if you want to do some testing). Don't tighten it untill they bulge out from under the washer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.