Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree649Likes

Team Associated B6 & B6D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6 & B6D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B6 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Frequently asked questions - the most common questions you may have answered here!

Aftermarket Parts - parts for the B6 and B6D

Tech Tutorials- tuning guides, ball diff and shock building videos and tutorials

How to's and build-specific posts

Team Associated Laydown transmission conversion for B6D:
Laydown conversion

Instruction Manuals:

B6: B6 Manual and setup sheets

B6D: B6D Manual and setup sheets

How to Sand and Seal carbon fiber:
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 2
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 3
Sanding and sealing carbon fiber 4

Charts for Quick reference:

1) put inner bearing in hub
2) slide large shim over axle all the way up to the back of the axle
3) slide axle/bone into hub carrier
4) slide small shim onto axle through hub carrier
5) push outter bearing into hub carrier

using that i'm able to put my normal male silverback gorilla wheel nut tightening job and there's no binding. in the pictures that come with the shims (the pic socket posted) it seems like they want you to slide both shims onto the axle before sliding the axle into the hub carrier and like i said, that doesn't work.

I've traditionally done the diff screw head on the left side (driver's side), but have since switched to the Right side (passenger side) regardless of transmission type (3 gear RM vs 3 gear MM and 4 gear MM).

Kdub (Kurt Wenger, former AE designer) had this to say on the matter:

Originally Posted by kdub
I think I count as an authority on the matter. I always run my diff screw on the right side (when sitting "inside" the car). I take off the tire and pull the outer hinge pin to get to the adjustment screw.

The right rear is the way the AE manuals state (or used to state). It really shouldn't matter since you go around turns both left and right.
B6D 3-gear:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5tone
it will change the droop by 2mm
so you can unscrew your shock eyelet by 2mm
Umm not sure if you were kidding or not, but it sure changes a whole lot more then just droop.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Decided to get back into the hobby so bought a B6D just before Christmas. After the longest build ever I think it's ready to go start practicing
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated B6 & B6D thread-image1.jpg   Team Associated B6 & B6D thread-image2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason B
Anyone try any of the pre-cut TLR wings (particularly the one with the cut-outs for rear-mounted shocks)?

We have a jump at my track that is just barely do-able (for me) in 17.5, and I'm eating wings for breakfast. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten really good - and I mean REALLY GOOD - at cutting them out, with all the practice I've had... but if the pre-cuts are compatible, I wouldn't mind stocking up.

Thanks!
TLR wings are definitely more durable than an AE or JC wing. The problem with the TLR wing is if you put the wedge under you wing to get more angle, it interferes with the little 'notch' in the front of the wing. if you like to run the shim above the wing, the TLR wing works awesome.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slapjack
Do you mean no need for the added weight of the brass c&d blocks? Or do you mean no need for the brass bulkhead? I already have the alum bulk and c&d. But thought the brass bulk would be a good upgrade. How do you like the brass bulk with the alum c&d setup? Not nose heavy?
Sorry, missed this before. I moved the battery back a little bit and the car does not feel nose heavy to me. On carpet, I used the brass bulkhead and aluminum c & d blocks. I don't feel a need for the extra weight of the battery or servo metal plates. But that is strictly my car and my driving on a 17.5 setup on carpet. I'd like to have the weights jsut to experiment but right now I'm as quick as any other car that races 17.5 at our track. I just crash more, and no amount of weights or modifications will overcome poor driving.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

So, built the B6D up, and finally got some electronics in it. Using this mostly as a practice car, but I might do a few races just because....Been mostly a carpet off road racer the past couple of years and looking forward to getting a car dirty. Here's a couple pics of the wiring. I measured the esc wires when I had the stand up transmission installed and decided to leave them long with the lay down installed just in case I ever need to go back.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by baneonrt
Decided to get back into the hobby so bought a B6D just before Christmas. After the longest build ever I think it's ready to go start practicing
Excellent job on that setup, the electronics install looks great.
baneonrt and BruceR. like this.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 3srcracing
Umm not sure if you were kidding or not, but it sure changes a whole lot more then just droop.
Can you elaborate?

Schelle's gearbox shims come with directions, and those directions just say to install the shims and add 2mm of droop. I also got the Schelle motor plate to drop the motor.

I thought the point of this mod was to change the roll center, but shimming the gearbox alone won't do that, you'd also have to shim the C/D blocks and the rear camber mount. Seems the only benefit to this change is that it corrects the angle of the bones for those of us with a lower ride height?
Old 04-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tobey457
Can you elaborate?

Schelle's gearbox shims come with directions, and those directions just say to install the shims and add 2mm of droop. I also got the Schelle motor plate to drop the motor.

I thought the point of this mod was to change the roll center, but shimming the gearbox alone won't do that, you'd also have to shim the C/D blocks and the rear camber mount. Seems the only benefit to this change is that it corrects the angle of the bones for those of us with a lower ride height?
The gearbox shims reduce the amount of dogbone plunge, increasing forward bite
Old 04-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

they used 2mm aluminum washers on these set ups, long rear shock eyelets

Team Associated B6 - Spencer Rivkin - Buggy Asia Madness - Shanghai - 31.03-02.04.2017

i'm rather amazed how soft they went on springs for a smooth hi-trac astro
Old 04-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
they used 2mm aluminum washers on these set ups, long rear shock eyelets

Team Associated B6 - Spencer Rivkin - Buggy Asia Madness - Shanghai - 31.03-02.04.2017

i'm rather amazed how soft they went on springs for a smooth hi-trac astro
He lists traction as "medium".
Old 04-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapjack
I know they are different but I've never looked at that site and I just didn't know if they make em for gullwing. But I totally forgot I was running JC rear tower and revolution design front. I wonder if those protectors would fit those towers. I didn't glue my towers only cause I hate the way they come out looking when I do that. Does anyone know what I can use or how to apply superglue or tire glue so it doesn't dry white and shitty. I've seen some guys that come out shiny or glossy and they look good but I've never been able to get it to look like that.
Black Sharpie to darken edge up and then take a sandwich baggie and drop a puddle of thin CA onto baggie, saturate tip of a Q-tip with CA and run around edge of shock tower or whatever you are sealing. Will result in nice shiny piano black finish
slodsm likes this.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slodsm
Proline trifecta 1/10 pre cut wing. If you're running shocks in the rear you have to trim a spot on each side for the shocks, shocks in front clear completely. That is a seriously tough wing. I run one on both my 1/10 cars.
This, or for practice you could even get the SWorkz buggy wing.

They're heavier than lexan but last near forever.

Search for Sworkz buggy or s104 wing as I recall.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Well I had a new one tonight. Putting the final touches on the new B6D so I thought I's set the slipper & diff. Tightened the diff screw and heard/felt a pop. Diff will not tighten at all now. Opened up and found the diff adjustment screw had broken. My money would have been on the plastic nut stripping but the screw broke clean at the threads for the nut. Luckily I had the ball diff from my T5M. Part numbers for the screw are the same so I was able to make it work. Anyone else had that happen? I wasn't putting that much pressure on it.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BruceR.
Well I had a new one tonight. Putting the final touches on the new B6D so I thought I's set the slipper & diff. Tightened the diff screw and heard/felt a pop. Diff will not tighten at all now. Opened up and found the diff adjustment screw had broken. My money would have been on the plastic nut stripping but the screw broke clean at the threads for the nut. Luckily I had the ball diff from my T5M. Part numbers for the screw are the same so I was able to make it work. Anyone else had that happen? I wasn't putting that much pressure on it.
Seen it plenty of times. Its far from uncommon. And just so you know that part dates back all the way to the days of the first Stealth transmission.
Big_Show likes this.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
Seen it plenty of times. Its far from uncommon. And just so you know that part dates back all the way to the days of the first Stealth transmission.
Ordering a couple more, just in case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.