TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oldbutlearning
I installed rear sway bars on my 3.0 and it was easy.
What did you have to purchase? 4.0 rear arms, 4.0 sway kit, and it bolts right up? Do you have the laydown or the standup on your 3.0? I'm super curious about this.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaistas
I use direct drive on my 3.0 SR where it comes standard (69t). It should fit without any modification, provided you get the whole kit/parts. Actually considering dropping to the 66t, but I'm concerned my pinion wouldn't be able to mesh at that size.
What type of surface do you race on? Do you have any problems with great wheel spin when you apply the throttle? What motor size are running?
Old 11-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jamsandolina
What type of surface do you race on? Do you have any problems with great wheel spin when you apply the throttle? What motor size are running?
I race on turf with proline pin points and a fantom v2t 17.5. I don't have any problems with wheel spin on such a grippy surface.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

I race on turf with proline pin points and a fantom v2t 17.5. I don't have any problems with wheel spin on such a grippy surface.
Awesome. Thanks
Old 11-23-2017, 01:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default Tlr 22 3.0 as a carpet/astroturf buggy

I just bought my kit but now a new indoor carpet track has opened near me and just found out that hobbytown in Tucson az has laid down astroturf as their racing surface. My question is the 22 3.0 a capable carpet/astroturf buggy without heavily modifying it? I was planning on installing new gear diff but that's about it besides tuning it. Any help would be helpful. Thanks
Old 11-23-2017, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah you can race it just fine. Although it's not the latest and greatest. But then again are you a fast and consistent driver? If not you really will not notice much of a difference.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:05 AM
Tech Adept

What did you have to purchase? 4.0 rear arms, 4.0 sway kit, and it bolts right up? Do you have the laydown or the standup on your 3.0? I'm super curious about this.
Raced this on dirt and now turf.
I currently have the Exotek laydown in her. I had the original 3.0 SR gearbox in her. Same install.
I purchsed 4.0 stiffzel arms, I purchased an extra front sway bar kit, which included the "plastic" front camber assembly,
I flipped the shocks around to the front of the new rear arms, you have to install spacers. I used the original shock mounts, loctite the nut on.
I screwed two ball studs into the back of the rear arms.
Take a Dremel and cut the two ends off the new front camber plate, YOU WANT THE ENDS AND YOU WANT IT WITH THE PRE CUT SLOTS ALREADY IN THE TIPS, so cut more trim later. But you need the sway bar grooves.
Unscrew the 2 rear camber plate screws, get longer ones, slide the two ends onto the camber plate, install sway bars on rear of arms. Use links included in kit.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:24 AM
Tech Adept

I just bought my kit but now a new indoor carpet track has opened near me and just found out that hobbytown in Tucson az has laid down astroturf as their racing surface. My question is the 22 3.0 a capable carpet/astroturf buggy without heavily modifying it? I was planning on installing new gear diff but that's about it besides tuning it. Any help would be helpful. Thanks
I run mine on turf surfaces now just fine, with some mods you can make as you go along.
FIRST get a gear diff, you will destroy the ball diff in a short period of time. Losi makes a pre built one for under $30 which works just fine.
Brass weights under servo, under batter, under electronics. IF YOU HAVE A 3.0 SR then The tlr weight plate doesn't fit directly under the electronics, u need to grind it to fit into the electronics slot.
If you install these weights you really don't need the brass front bulkhead.
Springs We run AE PURPLE front, AE BLUE rear. You can get Losi black and pink, but for our track the Ae work better.
Shock Pistons 1.6, 1.7
Shock oil we started at AE 40 frt, AE 32.5 rear
Front sway bar kit.
FRONT AN REAR HRC MOUNTS.
A laydown would be great at some point, Exotek makes a kit including battery hold down, that your 3gear internals just drop straight in.
I found as I had to replace "worn pieces" (crash damage$) I swapped front parts out for 4.0 suspension pieces. Bolt right on.
In the past 4 months I have swapped the entire front over to 4.0 and the rear arms.
Have front and rear sway bars. Put a Exotek laydown in.
For me she's just fine. Pm if you want photos.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Oldbutlearning
I run mine on turf surfaces now just fine, with some mods you can make as you go along.
FIRST get a gear diff, you will destroy the ball diff in a short period of time. Losi makes a pre built one for under $30 which works just fine.
Brass weights under servo, under batter, under electronics. IF YOU HAVE A 3.0 SR then The tlr weight plate doesn't fit directly under the electronics, u need to grind it to fit into the electronics slot.
If you install these weights you really don't need the brass front bulkhead.
Springs We run AE PURPLE front, AE BLUE rear. You can get Losi black and pink, but for our track the Ae work better.
Shock Pistons 1.6, 1.7
Shock oil we started at AE 40 frt, AE 32.5 rear
Front sway bar kit.
FRONT AN REAR HRC MOUNTS.
A laydown would be great at some point, Exotek makes a kit including battery hold down, that your 3gear internals just drop straight in.
I found as I had to replace "worn pieces" (crash damage$) I swapped front parts out for 4.0 suspension pieces. Bolt right on.
In the past 4 months I have swapped the entire front over to 4.0 and the rear arms.
Have front and rear sway bars. Put a Exotek laydown in.
For me she's just fine. Pm if you want photos.
I would like to see some photos but I don't know how to pm you. Sorry, not to computer tech savvy. Lol
Old 11-23-2017, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Default Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow TLR racers. Be safe
Old 11-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

I would like to see some photos but I don't know how to pm you. Sorry, not to computer tech savvy. Lol
Simple email my AOL account
Pgamke@

Last edited by Oldbutlearning; 11-23-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Wrong photo
Old 11-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

When I started with my 3.0 SR on turf, I was practically traction rolling on every corner. With some tuning help from the other racers, I have it pretty well dialed in for not having a laydown or a rear sway bar. Changes from a stock SR setup were tlr red springs in the rear, pink in the front. 40wt oil rear and front, chassis dropped to 17-18mm. Running 32-34t/69t.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Has anyone gone to a gear differential with the stock direct drive on their 3.0 SR? My ball diff is nearing a rebuild, and I've been thinking about moving to gears, but I'm wondering if that's a good idea without a slipper clutch.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:56 AM
Tech Regular

Can someone please direct me to a off-road carpet setup sheet,
Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by faqcya
Can someone please direct me to a off-road carpet setup sheet,
Team Losi Twenty-Two 3.0 & 3.0SR Setup Sheets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.