TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Any tips for getting this car to steer in low speed turns? I run at an old school real dirt, bumpy blown out track (nickname is the sand box) and it is just plowing in the lower speed turns. Currently running kit setup with multibytes on the back and ribs up front. Tried mini spikes up front in the second heat and it still understeered badly and was squirrely in the other areas where it was good before. For the main I moved the battery halfway up and it traded the low speed push for a high speed one. Overall I like the car, it's easy to drive and jumps well but need to get the steering right. The track basically races once a month and its an hour and a half away so I don't any time to practice.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrousdave
Any tips for getting this car to steer in low speed turns? I run at an old school real dirt, bumpy blown out track (nickname is the sand box) and it is just plowing in the lower speed turns. Currently running kit setup with multibytes on the back and ribs up front. Tried mini spikes up front in the second heat and it still understeered badly and was squirrely in the other areas where it was good before. For the main I moved the battery halfway up and it traded the low speed push for a high speed one. Overall I like the car, it's easy to drive and jumps well but need to get the steering right. The track basically races once a month and its an hour and a half away so I don't any time to practice.
Recommend seeing if anyone at your track has same car you can look at and share ideas with to get them working well. Also check out TLR and Petit RC Setup database to find a similar track condition for a base setup start point.
http://site.petitrc.com/setup/losi/S...ntyTwo3.0.html
http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...006#prodSetups
Old 05-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

ex Michigan guy here and I know the track you are talking about. Gobles m 40.

try going up on rear spring to the pink. Also maybe loosen the diff a tiny tiny bit.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

lol, it's funny sometimes how many people know the sandbox, i.e. gobles. thanks for the tips so far.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you're running the kit setup change the pistons. No one runs that piston setup.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

We had the local club carpet champs here on the weekend and man was it tight at the top. The main brand being run around here is the yokomo with an odd S-works and Losi. I'm loving my 3.0 and am always fighting at the top. I haven't got the laydown kit yet and still not sure if I'll get it. I'm basically running Frank's pre laydown setup but lowered an extra 2mm. The only place I struggle is with an on power push and high speed corner entry which seems quite common, this also means i chew my front tyres quit badly. Has anyone found a good fix for this? As with the guy above, we get very little practice time so I struggle getting time to test different ideas.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
If you're running the kit setup change the pistons. No one runs that piston setup.
I am and it's on rails, just swapped the pink rear springs, otherwise box stock.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Tech Adept

I run kit pistons as well...

It felt really good at jcon. Ofc i am not the fastest driver around so im sure there are more changes that should be made but for now i dont want to mess with it
Old 05-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

with the laydown kit are guys using a short servo or full sized??
Old 05-23-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M.
I know Frank and Jackie are using the Spektrum 6240 short servo. They are also mounting it behind the mounts (using the TLR/EXOTEK aluminum mounts) to get a little weight off the front end. You need the aluminum mounts to be able to do this.

edit: You can see this in Kevin's pic below.

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-23-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

S6240 is an in between sized servo.

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
S6240 is an in between sized servo.
Which rear hexes are you running - +.75mm or +1.5mm? What is the benefit of one vs. the other?
Do you have to use different rear axles?

Also, after reading (some of) Fred Swain's posts in the camber gain thread, I think I'd like to try a higher roll center. Does anyone use the HRC front pivot block and/or rear HRC pivot block sets? Are they even necessary?

BTW, I will soon install the exotek laydown and I have the +3mm rear hubs to try out as well - if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Last edited by BK24; 05-23-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BK24
Which rear hexes are you running - +.75mm or +1.5mm? What is the benefit of one vs. the other?

Also, after reading (some of) Fred Swain's posts in the camber gain thread, I think I'd like to try a higher roll center. Does anyone use the HRC front pivot block and/or rear HRC pivot block sets? Are they even necessary?

BTW, I will soon install the exotek laydown and I have the +3mm rear hubs to try out as well - if that makes any difference.

Thanks
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-losi-racing-12mm-aluminum-rear-hex-set-standard-width-tlr-22-tlr2930/p203509?gclid=CjwKEAjw1Iq6BRDY_tK-9OjdmBESJABlzoY7975ChVheA6-wTGtm5N7RodXbcToY2_9TABtEJEeyVxoCTprw_wcB

I run the HRC front pivot. Makes it easier to drive.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vr6cj
I agree with this statement

Amain should be held to map
There is not a "MAP" price on the laydown kit, only for full vehicles.

I use the SPMSS6240 which has full size specs in a 3/4 size servo.

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
I know Frank and Jackie are using the Spektrum 6240 short servo. They are also mounting it behind the mounts (using the TLR/EXOTEK aluminum mounts) to get a little weight off the front end. You need the aluminum mounts to be able to do this.

edit: You can see this in Kevin's pic below.
He is correct

There is a small cut needed to the mud guard, and some material needs to be removed for the servo horn and link.

Originally Posted by BK24

Thanks
In the rear, the +3mm hubs change the roll center. In the front, we all run some variation of an HRC front pivot.

If you run +.75mm hexes, you are probably too wide to be legal. If you are running 1.5mm hexes you are definitely too wide to be legal.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Frank, by themselves, do the +3mm hubs raise or lower the roll center?
Also, what is the actual difference between the kit front pivot and the HRC front pivot?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.