TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJPod
Anybody have some 22 3.0 setup tips for Outback Raceway in Chico, CA? My boys might be running in the Rookie class for the JC Summer Indoor Nats.

I am especially interested in what is a good tire choice.

Thanks
Good morning! I was there two months back for the Outback Shootout and actually have a really good setup that I used to win Expert Stock and Mod at that race. If your interested in it let me know and I would be more than glad to send it to you.

As for tires when the track drys out and goes to slicks AKA Slicks, Jconcepts Smoothies, or Proline Primes all work well. For the JC Summer Nats it will more than likely be slicks. See you there!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Frank, anything new coming out for this that you can talk about? Lightweight chassis?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm needing to buy tlr2972 but I don't really need the grease and tread lock that it comes with, is there an alternative that you guys use?
Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Serpent diff on clay

I know a lot of people recommend running the serpent SRX2 diff with only 2 gears and with 12k oil has anyone ran it with all 4 gears on Med-high bite clay? What diff oil did you use? I ended up messing with the diff at the track a little bit and 20k oil seemed to do well has anyone went any higher than that?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bikemaster00
I know a lot of people recommend running the serpent SRX2 diff with only 2 gears and with 12k oil has anyone ran it with all 4 gears on Med-high bite clay? What diff oil did you use? I ended up messing with the diff at the track a little bit and 20k oil seemed to do well has anyone went any higher than that?
I've actually heard the SRX4 diff is better.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I've actually heard the SRX4 diff is better.
Internally they are the same. SRX-2 has plastic outer gear, SRX-4 has aluminum. Which is better is up to you and your application. For stock I think people would tend to go plastic. I run the aluminum in mod.

Currently I'm at 15k on carpet. I believe I am running 2 gears on my buggy, 4 gears on my SCT. I have it written down at home, but I am almost positive that's how I have it.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Frank, anything new coming out for this that you can talk about? Lightweight chassis?
Pretty much all of the options we have in the works have already been announced, and are either shipping already or very soon.

There is a full listing here: http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Rel...s&SubCategory=

Originally Posted by omarwashington
I'm needing to buy tlr2972 but I don't really need the grease and tread lock that it comes with, is there an alternative that you guys use?
The grease and threadlock are 'throw ins'. We don't offer the parts without them as a separate offering.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Personally dont see need for a LW chassis. OOB this buggy is already near minimum (mine is at 1550) with a shorty pack and shorty servo. Ti tierods and a few screws and you would be below weight.

Perfect as-is

Last edited by HBRob; 05-25-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by HBRob
Personally dont see need for a LW chassis. OOB this buggy is already near minimum (mine is at 1550) with a shorty pack and shorty servo. Ti tierods and a few screws and you would be below weight.

Perfect as-is
At the stock NATs I was at 1501.

Lunsford rods, balls, and screws.
Orion 4500 100 C Shorty.
Savox Servo SV-1270TG
HW Justock ESC
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If anything I would look for a heavy chassis as with the ultra light weight body I would rather have the extra weight in the chassis low!

I put my car at or below with electronics, slipper eliminator and alum bones.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
If anything I would look for a heavy chassis as with the ultra light weight body I would rather have the extra weight in the chassis low!

I put my car at or below with electronics, slipper eliminator and alum bones.
I'd like to see a brass rear pivot. I had a brass RF pivot on my old rb6 with lw chassis and it made a big difference on medium bite tracks.

Frank, any plans to release something like this?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:53 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RichD
I'd like to see a brass rear pivot. I had a brass RF pivot on my old rb6 with lw chassis and it made a big difference on medium bite tracks.

On the way, should be available by August.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Callaway
Internally they are the same. SRX-2 has plastic outer gear, SRX-4 has aluminum. Which is better is up to you and your application. For stock I think people would tend to go plastic. I run the aluminum in mod.

Currently I'm at 15k on carpet. I believe I am running 2 gears on my buggy, 4 gears on my SCT. I have it written down at home, but I am almost positive that's how I have it.
Seems like people are only running it 2 gear. To me it would seem that would wear on the diff more than having all 4 gears in it. I guess I'll just keep experimenting with it with 4 gears. Anyone else have any more input on this as far as Diff oil they are using with all 4 gears on clay?

Last edited by Bikemaster00; 05-25-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RichD

EXOTEK make one.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
On the way, should be available by August.

Given we're going into winter here in Oz, grip is declining. Therefore I'd be more than happy to assist with pre production testing! 😬

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.