Search
Like Tree38Likes

Tekno ET48 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
Dont know why you have so much problems with them.
My honest opinion is a certain percentage of them crap out quickly and considering I've bought 25+ this year it's gonna happen. I think 20-25% fail quickly.

I have another buddy that has similar or higher fail rates.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jones8352
That just sucks!!! You buy the best equipment and get crap like that.
Too bad that most popular and best are not always the same thing. Due to a fairly bad history, I was warned not the buy the RX8 gen1 by a very good, multiple day per week driver back when I was looking for an ESC for my first e-buggy. At the time he was running one. 1 week later it died. I figured the gen 2 would have cured the issues with the gen 1. I may have, but now there seems to be a whole new issue. The T8 motors on the other hand have been awesome.

I bought a VTX8 for this truggy. Hopefully, it will be a winner. I don't have personal experience with it and actually bought it based on only a few recommendations without doing research on its quality record.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

The HW 150a esc is bar none the best 1/8 esc on the market as smooth or smoother than anything out there, and they just don't die unless you do something you shouldn't a nice pit tune box to make edits to settings. Rx8's even the newest versions have more issues than any other esc I've seen in the last three years I cannot even count the amount of burnt esc's that have come through. I ran them for a bit but I had nothing but issues so bye bye I'm not into issues, I just want it to work. I will agree 100% the t8 motor line has been flawless and they have a great selection of Kv choices to meet your needs from 3s out to 6s.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metoo
Too bad that most popular and best are not always the same thing. Due to a fairly bad history, I was warned not the buy the RX8 gen1 by a very good, multiple day per week driver back when I was looking for an ESC for my first e-buggy. At the time he was running one. 1 week later it died. I figured the gen 2 would have cured the issues with the gen 1. I may have, but now there seems to be a whole new issue. The T8 motors on the other hand have been awesome.

I bought a VTX8 for this truggy. Hopefully, it will be a winner. I don't have personal experience with it and actually bought it based on only a few recommendations without doing research on its quality record.
If Tekin has so many problems it just blows me away that racers are still using them. I tried them and ended up going back to Castle for my 1/8 buggies and truggies. Right now one of our team drivers is having great luck with HobbyWing motors in sct4wd. I wish the 150amp HobbyWing esc's were a little smaller. IMO a descent esc shouldn't cost $200+, then watch them go up in smoke, it's bs.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

If Tekin has so many problems it just blows me away that racers are still using them. I tried them and ended up going back to Castle for my 1/8 buggies and truggies. Right now one of our team drivers is having great luck with HobbyWing motors in sct4wd. I wish the 150amp HobbyWing esc's were a little smaller.
Ya the 150 is big but to be honest the sct pro is plenty for Buggys and truggies on 4s I run it in my buggy and 2 others run them in there truggies with not problem at all. I know it's only rated at 120 but that do just fine in the larger truggies from what I can see
Old 01-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If Tekin has so many problems it just blows me away that racers are still using them. I tried them and ended up going back to Castle for my 1/8 buggies and truggies. Right now one of our team drivers is having great luck with HobbyWing motors in sct4wd. I wish the 150amp HobbyWing esc's were a little smaller. IMO a descent esc shouldn't cost $200+, then watch them go up in smoke, it's bs.
It is amazing how effective marketing can be, sometimes product performance does not even matter! Flashy websites and your name everywhere brings in the cash for sure.
Also seems funny how the companies with the "best customer service" also tend to have the most problems. Maybe due to all the practice they get at fixing customers broken stuff.

I once worked for a company that was heavily invested in marketing, not so much in engineering. Their strategy was to price products so high that you were effectively buying qty2 or 3 at the initial purchase. They basically planned on replacing the product 2 or 3 times and included this in the original price. Maybe Tekin has a similar philosophy?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
The HW 150a esc is bar none the best 1/8 esc on the market as smooth or smoother than anything out there, and they just don't die unless you do something you shouldn't a nice pit tune box to make edits to settings. Rx8's even the newest versions have more issues than any other esc I've seen in the last three years I cannot even count the amount of burnt esc's that have come through. I ran them for a bit but I had nothing but issues so bye bye I'm not into issues, I just want it to work. I will agree 100% the t8 motor line has been flawless and they have a great selection of Kv choices to meet your needs from 3s out to 6s.
I vouch the same for Hobbywing. Great ESCs.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Couple quick photos. Threw a single color candy green on it for the first body.

Body is NARROW. will take some getting used to. Losi 2.0 truggy body beside.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

guys by all means i`m not a tekin represintive guy but i own 2 gen2 rx8 owner with a gen 1 1500 kv motor and a gen 2 1700 kv truggy motors , the 1500 kv have ran flawless for me and i run my truggy hard on an outdoors track , the 1700 kv i`m saving for the ET8 truggy i`m getting , I live in SOCAL and it gets very hot in the summer 100 plus degrees , with no issues , so i might just be the lucky guy thats not having any problems so what gives , could it be some of you guys that are having issues are over gearing the motors causing the esc and motor to get to hot ? also do you check that nothing is binding in the center drive front drive rear drive all that needs to be free , also check if your diff have oil just a question dont get mad ? i seen it happen my bud is guilty of this he ran his buggy with the diff dry ! guess what he couln`t drive his buggy cause the front diff with seized witch could cause the esc to fail anyways something to think about in some cases it could be the users fault that creates the problem they are having with their esc and motor problems wither is Castle , Tekin , Novak , Hobbywing , etc all I`m saying none is perfect but considered this some of it is human error .
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mullet1

That's sharp how about some pics with the body off.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Saw a Tekin rx8 gen 1 literally go up in flames last weekend. It was less than 40 degrees outside. A couple of us were having problems our vipers and the owner said he never had any problems with his Tekin. Next race boom!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have to say, I've ran Tekin ecss in every car I've owned. I was always trying to find a cheaper, better solution, but always wound back up with Tekin. In the past 3 years I've only has one rx8 go poof. Now having said that I've seen plenty of others let some magic smoke out, but when 90% of e buggies and 4x4 scts are running Rx8's your gonna notice more rx8 failures than other brands.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mullet1

Right on the green body and the yellow looks bad to the bone and the body is nice and slim~~~~~My color scheme is yellow wheels and black body with tons of SKULLs of multi colors!!!!! (insert evil laugh)hahahaha
Old 01-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nvision
I vouch the same for Hobbywing. Great ESCs.
Their all great escs, and all will have some issues. Some seem like a better value, with great performance.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

I'm sure it's possible but do you think a mbx6t or losi 2.0t body could fit it because that body is just a little to slim for my liking. I'm sure it will grow on me but right now it's not

Edit: to be fair it could just be the color I'm not a big fan of green I'm sure with a nice paint scheme or just black or white it would look better to me. not knocking your paint job mullet.

Are you going out to mikes this weekend with the new truggy? I'd like to take a look at it they look awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.