Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
@Wildcat - The 2015 XB4 should be out in the next few months, you may want to wait and see. My guess is that it'll have the center diff and metal bevel/pinions, but I have my doubts it'll be shortie compatible - of course this is pure speculation.

@Wease - Using one maybe two couplings ok, but to out fit the entire car would cost $75! Exotek CVD cups are maybe $15!

there were some pics of the 2015 about 6 to 7 pages back. It had a center diff and also had a shorty pack in it. from what he was saying i guess it has a totally different top deck, drive shaft and chassis i believe. I cant wait for it to come out as the xb4 is bullet proof pretty much
Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

actually its page 5378 and it has saddles

all the short pack mods have been with slippers
Old 09-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by randy0025
there were some pics of the 2015 about 6 to 7 pages back. It had a center diff and also had a shorty pack in it. from what he was saying i guess it has a totally different top deck, drive shaft and chassis i believe. I cant wait for it to come out as the xb4 is bullet proof pretty much
There are no pics of a "2015 XB4" as such a car does not exist

What you see are prototype parts being tested by the team

Bent
Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
This new center diff eliminates the slipper correct? From my reading, the slipper is being used to protect the ring/pinion gears. With the gear diff in the middle, I would think the ring/pinion gear issues would increase. I would hope a new steel ring/pinion would be in order with the center gear diff.
Yes it eliminates the slipper.

We have now run it on indoor clay (bar codes), outdoor dirt (Hole Shot/Bow Tie) and outdoor medium to high grip astro (Mini Pin / Mini Spike).

Spur gear, center diff (composite), pinion/bevel gear (plastic) and sattelite diff gears (plastic) have all been holding up just fine with no issues at all after several practices and both a European and Swedish Championship in the books.

And no…..no additional shimming

yeah the have been saying since Nov of 2013 that they are COMING SOON with steel ring and pinion gears , I guess xray is on the same calendar as Hot Bodies lol.

I even wrote xray asking whats the deal and that its been "coming soon" for almost a year now. All i got back was so BS about xray only wanting to release products that are 100%. Very very unsatisfied with xray right now.
Xray have invested in quite a few new high end CNC machines that will better the production rate immensely in the future.
Remember everything is manufactured in-house in a relatively small factory by very dedicated workers and owners.
You will be hard pressed to find a manufacturer with better quality and tolerances than Xray in todays market
But unfortunately delays will occur from time to time.

Well, I am thinking about getting a 4wd buggy, because locally that class has been fairly stable. I have owned a few in the past and they all have their pros and cons. Right now it is between the xb4 and the B44.3. I am really hoping the 2015 car can take shorties and has a center diff. If not, then I will probably go with AE.
No confirmation on shorty or center diff yet for the 2015 release but it WILL be better than the 2014 edition

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Would rather have a slipper over a center diff any day.

I really want to stick with shorties. I run indoor on high bite and dont really need saddles. My 2wd drive cars use shorties and I like the idea of using swap-able packs in my cars. If the 2015 has the shorty option, then I will probably go that route. I have seen the xb4 take some serious abuse locally and they seem to hold up really well. The only thing I saw that I didnt like were the blown ring/pinion and the xb4 kept to digging into the surface more that other brands and cause some lawn darting. Otherwise they look stellar. I dont drive balls out nor care for low turn motors, so my issues with the diffs may be less than others. I would probably run a 10.5 motor with a modified 13mm rotor.
Set the slipper according to the track and traction and you will have no issues

I run indoor only on high to medium bite. I have never run a center diff in a wheeler, so I dont know what if any advantages is has on high bite. I am sure on low bite it will be much better than a slipper.
The center diff is no advantage on high bite tracks…….more a tuning aid and personal preference as it can be a bit easier to drive. Malin likes it a lot but is faster with the slipper on high bite

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
I ran a 6.5 in mine. Set the slipper correctly and never had an issue. As for batteries I run those cheap Reedy Wolfpacks. Plenty if runtime, and since I run low turn motors punch is of no concern to me

Bent
Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

[QUOTE=BentKa;13508935]

Xray have invested in quite a few new high end CNC machines that will better the production rate immensely in the future.
Remember everything is manufactured in-house in a relatively small factory by very dedicated workers and owners.
You will be hard pressed to find a manufacturer with better quality and tolerances than Xray in todays market

Yes xray is top notch as why I bought it, but saying "Coming Soon" back in Nov of 2013 and still not avil for pre-order is bad business Plain and simple. either release a product or remove that ad from its web site, if not they will just get the brunt of it when topic comes up. with that being said I will still keep and run my xb4 as it is a bullet proof wheeler that is extremely fast and tunable. I also can not wait for the 2015 edition as adding a center diff to this buggy will only make it more deadly of a buggy.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

With all the talk of center diffs, shorties, layouts, diff quality etc, I can't help but think that Xray should be keeping an eye on some of the lesser known competition.

The Precirotate PRSB401 (Hobby Pro in the USA) has it all. Umpteen layout choices and kit will come with a choice of slipper or center diff! If the PRS1 2WD car is anything to go by, the quality will be top notch and the price keen.

http://www.pr-rc.com/pdt_view.asp?sn=929

Xray need to watch their backs....

Jimmy
Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=randy0025;13509046]
Originally Posted by BentKa

Yes xray is top notch as why I bought it, but saying "Coming Soon" back in Nov of 2013 and still not avil for pre-order is bad business Plain and simple. either release a product or remove that ad from its web site, if not they will just get the brunt of it when topic comes up. with that being said I will still keep and run my xb4 as it is a bullet proof wheeler that is extremely fast and tunable. I also can not wait for the 2015 edition as adding a center diff to this buggy will only make it more deadly of a buggy.
Well.....sometimes things happen.........even out of control of the manufacturer.

Delaying the release of other vehicles for a set of gears that are truly not needed at all would definitely be a much worse business decision.

And a center diff for a 1/10th wheeler must be the most overhyped option so far this year

Bent
Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
@Wease - Using one maybe two couplings ok, but to out fit the entire car would cost $75! Exotek CVD cups are maybe $15!
I agree, and I actually bought the XRay aluminum CVD cups for mine.

This past weekend I had a CVD barrel in my left front wheel just disappear during the race. The plastic CVD cups didn't have the usual signs of the pin pushing on it, so I was confused on what actually happened to cause the failure . My assumption is that somehow the pin broke and allowed the barrel to fall out of the axle.

I'm not sure which will be the better solution, the aluminum CVD cups, or the threaded barrel and pins w/flat spot, but I opted for the cheapest route first. I guess time will tell.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

[QUOTE=BentKa;13509156]
And a center diff for a 1/10th wheeler must be the most overhyped option so far this year Bent
Couldn't agree more...
Old 09-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Yup. Agree.

Jimmy
Old 09-02-2014, 04:53 PM
TV
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease
I'm not sure which will be the better solution, the aluminum CVD cups, or the threaded barrel and pins w/flat spot, but I opted for the cheapest route first. I guess time will tell.
Aluminum CVD cups are by far the best choice, IMO. Less chance of the pin binding, and about a zero percent chance of the pin ejecting.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Pins can still eject through the cup
Already seen it happen
Gears still strip even with a properly set slipper!!!!!
Where are the darn metal gears already?
Tired of hearing set the slipper properly its getting OLD
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
Already seen it happen
And we are tired of hearing metal gears are needed because I cant adjusting a slipper properly... sorry man its a broken country record
Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
Already seen it happen
Please don't take this the wrong way. But I'm known for calling a spade, a spade.

You must be really bad at driving RC cars!!!

Some of us are getting tired of hearing people complaining about issues. I race competitively on club nights with Australian Josh Pain (TV would have raced against him at last years Reedy Race) My XB4 rarely fails to finish races. I can't even remember the last time I failed to finish a race.

All we can do is give you some advice. We don't make the stuff here. Post me your car and I'll have a look at it for you. I will ever clean it. Don't forget to include return postage.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I have a scte since day 1 1st version
Still running same ringn pinion and its taken alot more abuse than my xray 2014 which ive bought3 pair of ring n pinion gears already so the xb4 is a spade
Love the car not the gears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.