Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rraden
Thanks, that's what the clay setup shows, 3 deg per side! See attached picture. Maybe my measurement system is flawed. But standing the car on end and measuring the angle of the rear wheels should be close. I'll find a setup system and check it there.
It doesn't show that, you're misinterpreting their setup sheets. It shows 3 degrees total toe. It shows one portion of the car for each setting, and the toe settings are for the culmination of both sides.

Otherwise, you'd see cases where people are running 2 degrees front toe out and 6 degrees rear toe in. That'd be a disaster!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

This one is for 07Forester (and anyone else who made the switch), why the switch from the 44.2 to the Xray? Any regrets? How's the handling? Is it aggressive like the 44, or more laid back like the Kyosho?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
It doesn't show that, you're misinterpreting their setup sheets. It shows 3 degrees total toe. It shows one portion of the car for each setting, and the toe settings are for the culmination of both sides.

Otherwise, you'd see cases where people are running 2 degrees front toe out and 6 degrees rear toe in. That'd be a disaster!
Well, I just finished building my kit, and have the eccentric bushings in the center, as showed on the setup sheet, then slapped my car into my Hudy 10th scale offroad setup station. It reads 3* of toe ON EACH SIDE. As far as I know, there is no other way to set rear toe other than using the eccentric bushings.

So I guess we ARE running 6* total toe in the rear for all of us running the clay setup from Xray....
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
This one is for 07Forester (and anyone else who made the switch), why the switch from the 44.2 to the Xray? Any regrets? How's the handling? Is it aggressive like the 44, or more laid back like the Kyosho?
Since July, I've built and raced a B44.1 and a B44.2 when they came out. Last week I built an XB4 and raced it on Sunday. The build quality was absolutely the best of the 25 or so kits I've built in the last 4 years. I raced my B44.2 on Friday night and the XB4 on Sunday. I was able to run fast laps with both of them. However, I was able to run more consistent fast laps with the XRay. It's less twitchy yet rewards agressive driving. On the surface the kit looks like a B44 imitation but once you build it, you'll see the difference.

Last edited by Arigato; 03-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arigato
Since July, I've built and raced a B44.1 and a B44.2 when they came out. Last week I built an XB4 and raced it on Sunday. The build quality was absolutely the best of the 25 or so kits I've built in the last 4 years. I raced my B44.2 on Friday night and the XB4 on Sunday. I was able to run fast laps with both of them. However, I was able to run more consistent fast laps with the XRay. It's less twitchy yet rewards agressive driving. On the surface, the kit looks like a B44 imitation, once you build it, you'll see the difference.
What he said!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

That's not correct. It is per side on the setup sheet. Almost all cars out there have 3degrees of toe in PER SIDE as a starting point. The setup sheet shows 1 half of each end. You do the same things to both sides of that end. If it says 3 degrees you have 3 degrees per side. The shock oil is only mentioned once - do you split it in half to fill each shock?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z00M
That's not correct. It is per side on the setup sheet. Almost all cars out there have 3degrees of toe in PER SIDE as a starting point. The setup sheet shows 1 half of each end. You do the same things to both sides of that end. If it says 3 degrees you have 3 degrees per side. The shock oil is only mentioned once - do you split it in half to fill each shock?
+1 Toe is in relation to a straight line drawn parallel to chassis center line ...per side.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta
To get it out of the way....i'm an associated lover 'til death.

With that said, I talked with a few drivers from xray who know how I like a car to drive. They told me to give it a shot, so I did.

I can tell you I was never this happy with a car and the way it drives.

It's forgiving, super predictable, and easy to drive hard.

Truthfully the only "con" this car has is the cost of parts. Which is to be expected from Xray cars.

I'll also say, anyone who's gotten a-hold of my controller who owns any other brand 4wd buggy says they wish it was their own.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arigato
Since July, I've built and raced a B44.1 and a B44.2 when they came out. Last week I built an XB4 and raced it on Sunday. The build quality was absolutely the best of the 25 or so kits I've built in the last 4 years. I raced my B44.2 on Friday night and the XB4 on Sunday. I was able to run fast laps with both of them. However, I was able to run more consistent fast laps with the XRay. It's less twitchy yet rewards agressive driving. On the surface the kit looks like a B44 imitation but once you build it, you'll see the difference.
+1

I just switched from a B44.1. I have had two full days on the XB4 including one race. Hot lap so far is the same with both cars but I shaved 14 seconds in qualifying. The car is way easier to be consistent and fast. It is much more forgiving. I have only started to play around with setup so I know there is even better results to come.

As far as quality the XB4 is amazing. I have built many cars, buggies, etc and the Xray XB4, Xray T4, and NT1 are by far the best. I was actually surprised when it came out at $450 retail. At around $420 street price it's a bargain.

Durability: Having read most of this thread I thought I may run into some problems. I have landed this thing sideways, hit the wall off a triple, cartwheeled down the straight, been hit by many shortcourse trucks, and been hit head on by another 4W coming off a jump. So far in about 15+ runs I have broke a front bumper, completely my fault. My B44.1 was averaging a broken front arm and shock cap about every other race day (2-3 times a month).

You will not be disappointed.

P.S. B44.1 soon to be for sale cheap.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

Many moved from the Kyosho fold and give feedback?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caguilar4
Well, I just finished building my kit, and have the eccentric bushings in the center, as showed on the setup sheet, then slapped my car into my Hudy 10th scale offroad setup station. It reads 3* of toe ON EACH SIDE. As far as I know, there is no other way to set rear toe other than using the eccentric bushings.

So I guess we ARE running 6* total toe in the rear for all of us running the clay setup from Xray....
Wow - that's helpful. I was completely wrong and this'll help me get it straight when I start building the kit tomorrow!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Wow - that's helpful. I was completely wrong and this'll help me get it straight when I start building the kit tomorrow!
When people talk about how much rear tow they run they are always talking per side. I've never seen anyone, anywhere, on any setup sheet call out the included angle (meaning both sides added together). Same goes for camber. You are dealing with one wheel and the measurement is in relation to the centerline of the car when talking toe, or in relation to a vertical axis when talking about camber.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Default XB4 foams for grippy astro, with Schumacher Mini-pins/spikes ?

Originally Posted by kenny lutz
the red ones are the only ones they make correct.
What foams for grippy astro,
with Schumacher yellow Mini-pins/spikes on dry astro,
blue Mini-pins/spike on wet astro ?

I used Proline Closed cell with yellow mini-pin/spike front and rear with the B44 on dry grippy astro.
But up for other ideas/experiences ? Aka reds ?

On wet astro I felt that the softer Schumacher medium standard foam insert was more grippy than proline closed cell.
Thinking maybe the JConcepts medium closed cell could be perfect, a durable insert ?
Ideas/experiences ?

How would you arrange f.ex these inserts in hardness ?
Proline Closed cell
Aka reds
JConcepts Firm
Jconcepts Medium
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anderfa
What foams for grippy astro,
with Schumacher yellow Mini-pins/spikes on dry astro,
blue Mini-pins/spike on wet astro ?

I used Proline Closed cell with yellow mini-pin/spike front and rear with the B44 on dry grippy astro.
But up for other ideas/experiences ? Aka reds ?

On wet astro I felt that the softer Schumacher medium standard foam insert was more grippy than proline closed cell.
Thinking maybe the JConcepts medium closed cell could be perfect, a durable insert ?
Ideas/experiences ?

How would you arrange f.ex these inserts in hardness ?
Proline Closed cell
Aka reds
JConcepts Firm
Jconcepts Medium
I just put the aka red in a set of tires but havent tryied them yet. i believe the are about the same hardness as the the proline blue. i will know more on thursday once i get to run them but im running the stock foams front and rear in another set of wheels and have alot of traction. the other thing i have read is the aka foams will last the longest without breaking down.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Addict

For astro with my fs2 I use answer RC foams in the rear for Schumacher yellow mini spikes. Sometimes use answer RC blue foams in the front too. Sometimes I run aka red in the front.

I'll be using the same starting point re foams no matter what 4wd I run. I do have some aka reds in a set of rears, but rec they're far too hard tbh.

Only other tyres I use ballistic buggy green mini spikes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.