Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cheers,

Was running in doors on a combination slippery and grippy surface. I had a 20t on the 7.5t but the motor got proper hot and smoked quite a bit. Saw a few things online about speed passion motors smoking. As I said, I have put the 17t on the 5.5t and removed all timing advance. I ran her on the bitumen out the front of my place but I couldn't tell you how long for and what temp it hit. I may just visit Bruce and get a 16t pinion to gear it a little lower. I will try and get a temp gun and run it to see how it goes. When I was running 2wd sct I never really had any issues but I suppose there's a lot more load through 4wd, I don't think the gear mesh was too tight, and the way I have it set now it seems to free roll pretty well.
May give you a buzz Casey. Cheers mate
Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mauve
Hi guys, I'm pretty green when it comes to electric so I am struggling a little with gearing. I have the XB4 built and have thrown a SpeedPassion Reventon Pro in with a 5.5R SpeedPassion Comp V3.0. I had a 7.5t SP v3 in it but the magic smoke escaped when running a 20t pinion and std esc settings. I would prefer to not have this happen again, so at this stage I have put a 17t pinion and removed all timing through the esc, might as well be running blinky. Is this where I should be at? How hot is too hot when it comes to the motor? Esc has thermal cut off but I haven't thermalled it at all? I'm really struggling to figure out what gearing and settings I should be using, any help would be appreciated.

I know this isn't a speed passion thread, I thought you guys know the xb4 and its fdr and maybe someone out there is running the same combination?
22/81 with boost on a SP 6.5 I and a Reventon Pro is getting to the 140's on a large outdoor track with temps in the 80's. Too small of a pinion can be just as bad as too large. A slipper that is too loose and lets the motor free spin a lot can heat it up as well. with a 5.5 and 18 or 19 should be find and with a 7.5 I would easily go to a 23 on this car. even with boost added in. be sure you don't have anything binding. Which on this car would mean you built something wrong.
motor temps should stay around 130-160 but if it was hot outside and you got closer to 200 you should still be just barely ok. 190-200 is about the limit you want to get to though. That's when things usually start going really wrong.

hope that helps
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

A few videos from the latest round of the 1:10 OR Summer Cup series in Sweden.

This time from Örebro.

Malin qualified for a #4 spot in the A-finals.

She took a 5th, a 5th and a 4th in the three 7 minute long A-finals for a combined 5th place.
She did have the pace to fight for a podium finish but made a couple of mistakes that cost her too much time.

She also ran the 2WD class on the same day (where she won the B-finals), so a pretty hectic schedule for the day.

Here's A-final 1.
She was a bit too eager here and didn't drive very clean.
Got a "pep talk" from dad and went out and did a much better and cleaner run in A-final 2 and 3.

Keep in mind she just turned 8 two weeks ago and is far from an experienced racer yet

She's the yellow #4 with a blue wing (to distinguish her from the other yellow XB4).

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here's video from A-final 2.
A much smoother and cleaner run this time.
Another 5th place.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And video from A-final 3.
Her best run and a fight for 3rd place prior to making a small mistake.

+ YouTube Video

All in all a great day of racing and the XB4 worked awesome all day

Bent
Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ah Bentka you made my morning !
When I saw vids posted my first thought was hoping it was Malin. Iv'e only watched the first one so far and yes she was a bit "eager" but notice too how she showed great sportsmanship when she would pop someone and then wait for them. Love it. Gonna save the others for later. thanks again for posting.
I did get a chance to run outdoors fo the first time with my xb4 and ran a 6.5 speed passion 21/81 and man was it sweet. Smooth, fast, long runs and cool temps even though it was 90f/32c outside. If traction were better I could have used more motor or gear etc. I would love to run on a large indoor track with this car, maybe it's time... ROAD TRIP.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asc6000
ah Bentka you made my morning !
When I saw vids posted my first thought was hoping it was Malin. Iv'e only watched the first one so far and yes she was a bit "eager" but notice too how she showed great sportsmanship when she would pop someone and then wait for them. Love it. Gonna save the others for later. thanks again for posting.
I did get a chance to run outdoors fo the first time with my xb4 and ran a 6.5 speed passion 21/81 and man was it sweet. Smooth, fast, long runs and cool temps even though it was 90f/32c outside. If traction were better I could have used more motor or gear etc. I would love to run on a large indoor track with this car, maybe it's time... ROAD TRIP.
He he....glad you enjoy them

Yep she was way too eager in the first final.

Had a bit of a chat with her and she cleaned up her act for the remaining 2 finals and ran them much cleaner and smoother

6.5T and 21 is what we normally run outdoors as well.

In the videos though she's running a 7.5T due to the track being so small and dusty.

Bent
Old 08-07-2013, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Here's a clip from practice on a different dirt track which is mainly used for 1/8th buggys.

Malin is joined by another local driver with a 5.5T equipped XB4.

+ YouTube Video

Bent
Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nickmig
I just posted on the RB ADS thread but thought I'd try here also. Anyone tried RB's ADS yet? What are some good starting oil weights? Springs?
Finally got around to installing the ADS sleeves with progressive springs front and back. Started out with associated 37.5 in rear and 40 up front which was way too soft. Chassis slapping from 8"s. Ran decent qualifiers with some very fast laps but was about a lap off my average times for both runs.

Went to 45r and 50f which was great. It didn't feel necessarily faster than the avid 2+2, fast lap was about .2 seconds slower, however it was more consistent - I dropped one of the fastest total runs with our current track layout even with my tires turning to slicks towards the end of the race.

Track is very high bite, clay that is almost concrete. Fairly smooth with a large triple in the middle. With the ADS, even if I overshot and slapped the buggy was planted to the ground.

I'm the orange buggy starting in 2nd:
+ YouTube Video

Last edited by nickmig; 08-07-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Are there any spurs to suit 17.5 motors made yet or are we still hacking up B4 spurs and slipper pads to fit?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Xb4 velcro straps?

I have been having a think about the battery straps on the xb4. My ideal mounting method in cars is the velcro method as used on the losi 22. I was thinking if you cut slots for a velcro strap through the side walls of the battery tray, would a velcro strap be feasible?. I was wondering if anyone had seen or tried this?, Part of the reason is that i have some extremely tall 6000mah lipos. On the flip side i am half way through them build and do not want to start chopping up my new buggy if it will not work, what do you guys think?. I have to say this buggy has been a fantastic build so far, very easy, got to start my xb9e next!, what a pair!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Whoops, forgot to subscribe to thread,
Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you do slots and straps it would change the flex/tuning a tiny bit. Good thing is if you didn't like it and went back a couple little slots won't hurt anything. Iv'e been using 24.8mm thick 6000's for a while with the kit holders.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Trouble is my 6000mah gens ace packs are 33mm tall!. I was hoping to raise the posts up with shims but i don't think i can gain 8mm. I have other lipos, i just ended up with these lipos as part of a job lot. Funny coincidence is, xray use gens ace packs in thier advertising photo, just not the chunky ones.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I just picked up this car and want to see if anyone has a good setup for a large 1/8th track with low to medium bite?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I just drove mine for the first time yesterday and the stock setup felt pretty good. I have an sct410 and EB48 and it was real stable and felt similar to the big buggy. Rear end might be a little loose for low traction. Note it was the first time driving 1/10 scale buggy.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sls7474
I just drove mine for the first time yesterday and the stock setup felt pretty good. I have an sct410 and EB48 and it was real stable and felt similar to the big buggy. Rear end might be a little loose for low traction. Note it was the first time driving 1/10 scale buggy.
Cool,that is where i will start then. If it feels like the EB 48, i should be in good shape then. I will just tune it from the stock setup. Got the car all ready to go. Just waiting on the body to come back from painting.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.