Wiki Posts
Search

RC10T4.1 Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

FT T4 = all carbon parts, FT T4.1 = new plastic parts

FT T4's never came with the new plastic.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by StadiumRC
I tried to find a thread on the T4 and had no luck, so I thought I would post my question here in the T4.1 thread. I have a later version of the FT T4 and a FT T4.1. I am trying to figure out if my T4 has the carbon chassis. I read somewhere that AE switched to the plastic chassis before the T4.1 came out - is this true? I also heard that all FT T4 kits had the carbon chassis, and the switch to plastic only happened with the T4.1 kits. My T4 chassis is very different from my T4.1 chassis, it's more of a charcoal/grey color and you can really see the fibers in the mold. However, it looks almost identical to my friends 8 year old T4 with a plastic chassis. The box makes no mention of carbon parts, but the instructions do - and the AE website mentions carbon parts (in the discontinued section). Any way to tell the difference, or do all FT T4 kits have the carbon parts? Thanks!
My FT T4 had a carbon chassis and from the discription it sounds like yours also does. The lighter gray was always the give away. I am sure someone more experianced will also chime in if I am wrong (it does happen ... alot )
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StadiumRC
I tried to find a thread on the T4 and had no luck, so I thought I would post my question here in the T4.1 thread. I have a later version of the FT T4 and a FT T4.1. I am trying to figure out if my T4 has the carbon chassis. I read somewhere that AE switched to the plastic chassis before the T4.1 came out - is this true? I also heard that all FT T4 kits had the carbon chassis, and the switch to plastic only happened with the T4.1 kits. My T4 chassis is very different from my T4.1 chassis, it's more of a charcoal/grey color and you can really see the fibers in the mold. However, it looks almost identical to my friends 8 year old T4 with a plastic chassis. The box makes no mention of carbon parts, but the instructions do - and the AE website mentions carbon parts (in the discontinued section). Any way to tell the difference, or do all FT T4 kits have the carbon parts? Thanks!
The photo above w/ the Power Stroke shocks is an FT T4. The carbon as you said is more of a charcoal gray. The arms on mine however have been switched to RPMs.. Why would they release the T4.1 in plastic? Wouldn't that be reversing technology? Anyway, you can still get the carbon chassis separate.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LoudOne
The photo above w/ the Power Stroke shocks is an FT T4. The carbon as you said is more of a charcoal gray. The arms on mine however have been switched to RPMs.. Why would they release the T4.1 in plastic? Wouldn't that be reversing technology? Anyway, you can still get the carbon chassis separate.
I think they went back to plastic because it gives more flex which helps with tracktion. I prefer plastic does not brake as easly when you case a jump.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Scott beat me to it, they switched to all plastic because plastic flexes more thus resulting in a more predicatable car with more traction. All kits now come with plastic chassis and suspension components. The only time i hear of people experimenting with carbon anymore is on super high bite, smooth sufaces. This would make the car more responsive and aggresive feeling.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ovalracer1m
Scott beat me to it, they switched to all plastic because plastic flexes more thus resulting in a more predicatable car with more traction. All kits now come with plastic chassis and suspension components. The only time i hear of people experimenting with carbon anymore is on super high bite, smooth sufaces. This would make the car more responsive and aggresive feeling.
As long as they're not making the chassis out of the same heavy plastic material as Traxxas.. My nephew has a XXXT made w/ that EA3 composite.. what's your take on that?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

As long as they're not making the chassis out of the same heavy plastic material as Traxxas.. My nephew has a XXXT made w/ that EA3 composite.. what's your take on that?
same type of deal with the losi i believe. Apparently the EA3 is supposed to be less brittle than graphite but still be rigid enough.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...3-plastic.html
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

My chassis looks identical to yours, after reading the replies I am sure I have the carbon chassis. My T4.1 is what I usually run, I bought the FT T4 kit on a whim (it was discounted because it was discontinued, got a good deal on it) and built it - but I have never installed electronics or actually run it (shelf queen, sits in my office at work on display). Lately I have been curious about what kind of difference I might feel between the carbon and plastic composite, so I wanted to make sure it was actually carbon before I went to the trouble to do anything with it. I run on smooth surfaces most of the time, that's why I was curious about trying the carbon. Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
I think they went back to plastic because it gives more flex which helps with traction.
Originally Posted by ovalracer1m
they switched to all plastic because plastic flexes more thus resulting in a more predicatable car with more traction. All kits now come with plastic chassis and suspension components. The only time i hear of people experimenting with carbon anymore is on super high bite, smooth sufaces. This would make the car more responsive and aggresive feeling.
I'm certainly not calling you 2 liars but I would have to hear this out of the engineers at AE and TL mouths before I can believe this.

The whole Idea for going to carbon composite chassis and suspension components was to bring consistency into setups. No longer did you have to worry about if or if not, how much or little the chassis and suspension arms were going to play into the reaction of the car to the track. You were now able to fully tune the car with the shocks, springs, camber and toe-in settings and not have to worry about if because of a stiffer or softer suspension was the car's chassis going to absorb more or less of the impact of bumps and jumps.

IMPO, I really think they did it as a cost cutting feature to the racer. While you do suffer from less consistency with your chassis setup, 1: The car is more resistant to impact damage and 2: The cost of parts and replacements are cheaper.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Catfish12c
I'm certainly not calling you 2 liars but I would have to hear this out of the engineers at AE and TL mouths before I can believe this.

The whole Idea for going to carbon composite chassis and suspension components was to bring consistency into setups. No longer did you have to worry about if or if not, how much or little the chassis and suspension arms were going to play into the reaction of the car to the track. You were now able to fully tune the car with the shocks, springs, camber and toe-in settings and not have to worry about if because of a stiffer or softer suspension was the car's chassis going to absorb more or less of the impact of bumps and jumps.

IMPO, I really think they did it as a cost cutting feature to the racer. While you do suffer from less consistency with your chassis setup, 1: The car is more resistant to impact damage and 2: The cost of parts and replacements are cheaper.

Just my $0.02
I agree that the carbon probably allowed you to tune your car with all the tunning components and not having to worry about the plastic. I also think they did it as a cost saving measure to them (AE/Losi ...) not the racers lol. Its cheaper for them to make everything from plastic.

That being said I do think a plastic chassis will help with tracktion.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hexes

Anyone running hexes on their T4?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by njnewc
Anyone running hexes on their T4?
No, but I'd like to run hex in the front... I have the quick release in back...
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I run quick release front and rear. very nice setup.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 200 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I run quick release front and rear. very nice setup.
+1
Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone running Tlr BB Springs on there T4.1 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.