R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default What's up with Team Losi plastics? xxx-T RTR, regular, Graphite, and EA3 plastic

After giving the 2wd 1/10 electrics a try i've realized that Team Losi is not what they use to be.

To capture the past I had recently purchased a XXX-T RTR spec 2 recently for track bashing. I haven't raced these stadium truck for 14 years and came to realize that the RTR had cheaper plastic than the $100 Losi Spec Smurf trucks . Why did Losi decided to use this JRX-T plastic from the 80's? It seems that losi has 4 different plastics now .

I had modified the arms with EA3 plastics and carriers with standrad parts with help the flexing. I will take this truck out when the snow doesn't fall.

My questions is that does losi's 1/8 scale such as the 8ight-E use this rtr type flex plastic? If so i'm not interested.
m3cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

Losis plastic on the 1/8s is flexible but their 1/8 buggy/truggy is very strong
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

the rtr II is a more bashing truck but is race inspired i guess you could say. the graphite parts and ea3 parts are lighter for racing but break easier. if you crash an ea3 truck off a jump compared to a plactic truck the ea3 would have a better chance of breaking due to it's resistance to bending.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cosmos View Post
After giving the 2wd 1/10 electrics a try i've realized that Team Losi is not what they use to be.

To capture the past I had recently purchased a XXX-T RTR spec 2 recently for track bashing. I haven't raced these stadium truck for 14 years and came to realize that the RTR had cheaper plastic than the $100 Losi Spec Smurf trucks . Why did Losi decided to use this JRX-T plastic from the 80's? It seems that losi has 4 different plastics now .

I had modified the arms with EA3 plastics and carriers with standrad parts with help the flexing. I will take this truck out when the snow doesn't fall.

My questions is that does losi's 1/8 scale such as the 8ight-E use this rtr type flex plastic? If so i'm not interested.
You did not say what, if anything you broke? And are you running outside in the cold?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Nothing broke yet because i'm still running the stock motor. Good point about the cold. I gotta be careful. I was unaware that the EA3 will break easier. My Kyosho STRR has really rigid stiff arms and those are very strong. The only time I broke one of those is when i over jumped right onto a fence pole .

Once I install the havoc i'm sure parts will start breaking. I had modified the front arms and carriers because I like the more direct steering feel. Back into the vintage days the flex arm always cause the ball joints to pop. I also need to get a better steering servo because the stock one is slow and terrible.

So in terms of strength from jumping.

RTR>Graphite>EA3>regular

For Rigidity

Graphite>EA3>Regular>RTR
m3cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Yeah, the stock Losi plastic flexes alot.

I plan on running a Box Stock Speed-T with a BFastRC diff in Mod truck to see how well I can do with just some suspension tweaks.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I thought that Losi went from Graphite to EA3 because people were compaining that the graphite was to brittle, and the new EA3 was supposed to allow a bit more flex. Can anyone confirm this.

In 2000 when graphite was all the rage the tracks were really smooth blue grove. I guess now a days the tracks are getting ruffer due in part to the popularity of 1/8 nitro, and Losi needed to revise their compound to allow a bit more flex, so it could handle the new/harsh tracks (EA3).

I don't have any EA3 parts, but my G+ cars seem to be holding up fine either way.

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I hate to post back to back, but I just pulled this off of the Losi site about the XXX-CR talking about the chassis.

"To adjust the flexural characteristics of the chassis for improved performance on the roughest tracks, Team Losi has reinforced and chosen a non-graphite chassis for the CR"

There are a few other things in the article about the suspension

"EA3 is still light but has greater strength and impact resistance than the previous composites. This translates into a car that is more nimble yet more durable, all at the same time. Utilizing this exclusive material in select suspension components of the XXX-CR provides not only greater handling on rough surfaces and increased traction, but also improves the overall durability of the XXX-CR, allowing drivers to complete the first part of winning a race—finishing it—even easier."

Sorry for the long post. I think this better explains the reasons behind the new plastics/composits that they've been coming out with.

Jay
Old 11-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I'm curious. My RTR Speed-T parts listing lists the chassis as LOSA4109

I look up LOSA4109, and it shows me a photo of the Main Chassis, XL & Brace, EA3: XXX-T CR, SPT

So is the RTR chassis made out of EA3?

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA4109
Old 11-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that the Losi's Speed-T is just a XXX-T with some mods. I'm not sure why it has the same part#, there should be two or even three parts# for the different type of chassis made. I doubt that you have a EA3 chassis, if you did it should say it on the bottom. They probably used left over XXX-T chassis from the regular RTR's to make the Speed-T. There's no reason why you can't upgrade to the EA3 if you want to.

Pretty much all the upgrades that you find for the XXX-T SHOULD work on your speed-t, and there's no reason why you couldn't turn it into a race truck.

Jay
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro18t View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Losi's Speed-T is just a XXX-T with some mods. I'm not sure why it has the same part#, there should be two or even three parts# for the different type of chassis made. I doubt that you have a EA3 chassis, if you did it should say it on the bottom. They probably used left over XXX-T chassis from the regular RTR's to make the Speed-T. There's no reason why you can't upgrade to the EA3 if you want to.

Pretty much all the upgrades that you find for the XXX-T SHOULD work on your speed-t, and there's no reason why you couldn't turn it into a race truck.

Jay
Yeah, there is no stamp on the bottom. I am thinking they just tell you if you need a replacement part, use such and such.

I'm going to run it as-is, and see how it does at my local track. I am looking forward to beating some drivers with a 2.4Ghz radio\Brushless\RTR truck I paid 143$ shipped for.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

How did you pick up a Speed-T that cheap

Jay
Old 11-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro18t View Post
How did you pick up a Speed-T that cheap

Jay
eBay

mint condition too....gotta love sniper software

Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I'm curious. My RTR Speed-T parts listing lists the chassis as LOSA4109

I look up LOSA4109, and it shows me a photo of the Main Chassis, XL & Brace, EA3: XXX-T CR, SPT

So is the RTR chassis made out of EA3?

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA4109
If you don`t want the EA3 chassis you can always use LOSA4107 regular chassis or graphite LOSA9906 . But I prefer the EA3 material over the rest .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Be aware that the EA3 XXXt-CR chassis is longer than the other models. I myself have been very satified with the graphite parts. Just might try the longer EA3 chassis to see if it improves the handling.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote