Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

SC10 4x4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Legend

You really don't need video as the truck fly's great and control is in all in the trigger finger...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
The losi's jump like an Ebuggy simple as that you can do whatever you want in the air with them including twisting them which is impossible with the SC10. It is not news that motor placement changes handling in one way or another, thats just physics. How much it changes I cant say but with the motor sitting lateral it will either push the front down or pull it down and it will also effect rear traction. Anything spinning 25+k RPMS has to effect something even if its just a little bit!

Cam think about the rotational mass of anything spinning that fast and the fact that while you are in the air 20g of static weight will make a difference we all know that. The truck is not 6lbs while floating in the air , if that makes sense.
OK, this makes no sense.

What you're saying is you can adjust the SCTE's attitude along the longitudinal axis, but you can't on the SC10 4x4.

If anything, in theory, the SC10 4x4 would be easier to do that in BOTH directions, since the motor's rotation would counteract going one way.

With the lighter (and largely more centralized) weight of the SC10 4x4, it should (and in ThunderbirdJunkie's experience, at least, does) adjust pitch far easier than the SCTE, and roll as well.

Remember, both these trucks from the diffs out, weigh about the same as far as rotational mass that helps pitch.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WC. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, as I'm sure your a good enough guy, but NO ONE CARES!!!!!.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Mizchief
Sorry to reiterate, posted before reading the rest of the thread while catching up. Do you have video of the track? Are they relatively small jumps that kick hard, or huge mounds of dirty with a long smooth take off? That may be the difference from my experience at the BMX track. Something I've recently learned with my SC10 swd which has more of a nose-high problem is when I'm gassing it all the way to the lip to nail the breaks as soon as the back wheels leave the ground. If I wait until I think I have a problem it's too late to fix.

here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIdSr...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
OK so curious about Mantis idea I took the wheels off my truck and can feel no weight transfer when going from full throttle to brake, or just stop to full throttle. The truck is just too heavy for the motor to change the weight of the truck. This is with a 5.5 2pole motor so maybe a 4 pole motor would change that. But right now I think all of the change you get in flight is from the weight of the wheels.
If you felt absolutely no rotational change in the chassis with the tires off (assuming this is strictly a rotating mass problem), that tells me that the forward rotation of the diffs, belt, and spur gear assembly are offset by the reverse rotation of the motor and idler gears. Inertia, change in rpm, and orientation of rotation determine how much any given item will contribute to the overall "net rotation", so with heavy diffs and spur gear spinning relatively slow compared to the lighter rotor spinning 5-10 times faster seems like an accurate assessment that the mass of the tires is 95% accountable for pitching the car mid-air. With an 8th scale buggy or the scte the motor and center diff are only fighting for left/right rotation of the car while the front and rear diffs and tires have nothing fighting against them for fore/aft rotation.

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The set-up is not mind again , the team develop it and Cody use it with great success at the Spektrum race.

That track is quite a bit bigger than TRCR ....
It's a good thing NASCAR teams don't take your advice and use the setup they develop and win with at the Daytona 500 for the rest of the season on every other track. They would lose sponsors so fast after losing (or not even qualifying for) spectacularly at every other track until they come back to Daytona later in the season it wouldn't even be funny.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
OK, this makes no sense.

What you're saying is you can adjust the SCTE's attitude along the longitudinal axis, but you can't on the SC10 4x4.

If anything, in theory, the SC10 4x4 would be easier to do that in BOTH directions, since the motor's rotation would counteract going one way.

With the lighter (and largely more centralized) weight of the SC10 4x4, it should (and in ThunderbirdJunkie's experience, at least, does) adjust pitch far easier than the SCTE, and roll as well.

Remember, both these trucks from the diffs out, weigh about the same as far as rotational mass that helps pitch.
OK man, and i guess Sym and I just lying and making this up as its pretty obvious by vids that i suck...... How can both trucks act the same in the air when the motors are two different directions and locations? How can the weight be more centralized in the SC10 when the motor is in the back as well as the ESC and RX. Why do most add weight to the front of the truck?

OK OK you caught me, i secretly snuck into every SC10 owners pit friday morning and added all of my parts and changed their setup just so i could come on here today and argue with you two like i dont have better things to do than entertain your ridiculous points. I could have kept my mouth shut instead i decided to share my experience from this weekend in hopes that we (excluding you and WC) could come up with a solution. But instead you , like clockwork chime in with your useless info and 3rd person rant about a backwards fact that you in your own mind makes sense. claiming a sc10 jumps like a losi is retarded.

"If anything, in theory, the SC10 4x4 would be easier to do that in BOTH directions, since the motor's rotation would counteract going one way."

let me break this down for you:
That statement is true but it only counter acts in one way easy and the other way much harder since right now the motor spins opposite of the wheels and that direction determines the general tendencies in the air. The Losi motor rotation can only effect "twisting" in the air. both trucks have four wheels that spin the same way and when they accelerate/decellerate of course it will have a gyroscopic effect how can it not?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Legend

Chris ,

A good set-up can perform great on most tracks ....

Vega

I care , and anyone who is interested in improving their Sc10 4x4 ride.

if you have something use full to contribute please do ....
Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Chris ,

A good set-up can perform great on most tracks ....

Vega

I care , and anyone who is interested in improving their Sc10 4x4 ride.

if you have something use full to contribute please do ....
You should take your own advice and contribute something useful
Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Legend

I do my best mantis , just hard to make a horse drink when you show um the water ....
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie
OK, this makes no sense.

the losi has more rotating mass, hence more controll in the air. For instance like a monster truck in the air, or a truggy. They have a ton of controll in the air as opposed to a 2wd buggy with little rotating mass.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

You should take your own advice and contribute something useful
Or at least put his unuseful info into coherent sentences so brain doesn't hurt when I try to read his comments.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

I do my best mantis , just hard to make a horse drink when you show um the water ....
I am sorry but you stating that i need to try a smooth indoor setup on a 1/8 scale big jump track is dumb at best, its not going to work for more than one reason. I dont drive like you do, my truck is faster than yours (literally faster) and the tracks are 180* different. That would be like me telling you to use my setup on your track, its not going to work so why suggest it? difference is that I realize its not going to work and you think that since Ryan and Cody use it it must be "the best setup in the world world world". You make yourself sound like a rockstar groupie, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If i thought that setup would work I would use it but it wont in this case and if you think that your BFF's would come to our track and even start with that setup you are living in a cloud, they are not stupid and there is a reason they are fast. I promise they would have had the same issues we were having.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Its not an acceleration problem or even the distance, its the lack of control in the air. I was pulling away from pretty much everyone (i have a 4600 now!!) but no matter how I hit the jump it was either nose down or up and I couldnt change the direction either way. 1 out of 5 times it would be great and on those attempts I let off the throttle at the bottom of hill. Problem with that is both of these jumps were FULL speed jumps, if for some reason you were not lined up straight you need that extra uuumph. If you are on the throttle taking off the nose goes up and if you dont catch it in time your gonna tumble.
Farmer, the guy who TQ'd and won is the guy i race week in and week out, i have only manged to beat him once in a year and it took everything i had to do it. Double singling that jump while he triples it just aint gonna get it done! I play to win which is why i push so hard to MAKE this truck work in all situations. From an engineering point of view its four wheels driven by a motor so anything is possible just have to figure it out. I feel that the products i have designed combined with the feedback from this forum has gotten us close, imagine if the internet did not exist

I will have an idler gear setup by the weekend and will see what it does, may work may not nobody knows but i have the ability to at least try it! Seeing as i am going to have to run on that track for the next few months I am going to have to figure it out or get beat.......I hate losing and I aint giving up. Friday was the closest i have actually come to switching i actually had an SCTE in my hands on my bench and i contemplated changing but thought about this thread and all of you! This wasnt the case for some..........

I would think by flipping the motor you would actually lose more air control. I've never tried it, so I cant comment much further. Oh and the motor rotation direction is the same as a Durango buggy built with 3 gear transmission, not 4.

However, if you were to add and idler gear in the rear diff, you would either have to add one to the front, or figure out a way to add the rear one between the pinion and spur as your belt would run backward if not.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Jarosz
I would think by flipping the motor you would actually lose more air control. I've never tried it, so I cant comment much further. Oh and the motor rotation direction is the same as a Durango buggy built with 3 gear transmission, not 4.

However, if you were to add and idler gear in the rear diff, you would either have to add one to the front, or figure out a way to add the rear one between the pinion and spur as your belt would run backward if not.
Chris he is talking about adding an idler between the spur and pinion. This would require the motor to turn reverse but the rest of the drive train move normal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.