Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chuck 21
When we use to race brushed motors on nicad batteries you would get alot
more run time from running the exact same gear ratio but running a bigger
pinion and bigger spur gear to get that given gear ratio.

Bigger spur & bigger pinion for a given gear ratio is more efficient. The SCTE
is hard to get run time on some tracks with some motor/battery combos. So
a bigger spur will help. Also a bigger spur & pinion for a given ratio will be
much smoother feeling on a low traction track.

I hope this helps?
Throwing the drive train out of alignment even more than it is now (already elevated stock) will iMO cause more problems than good trying to get anything running smoother and longer.

Not to mention moving the most force (rotating mass) you have in the entire setup to a higher COG point?? really? crazy if you ask me. To each his own though.

I'd rather have a smaller spur, eliminate the current plastic riser under the mounts not only reducing weight but getting an even lower COG. This would also realign the drive train like it is in the nitro version so the center diff is not higher than the front and rear outputs.

Just my 2c
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Throwing the drive train out of alignment even more than it is now (already elevated stock) will iMO cause more problems than good trying to get anything running smoother and longer.

Not to mention moving the most force (rotating mass) you have in the entire setup to a higher COG point?? really? crazy if you ask me. To each his own though.

I'd rather have a smaller spur, eliminate the current plastic riser under the mounts not only reducing weight but getting an even lower COG. This would also realign the drive train like it is in the nitro version so the center diff is not higher than the front and rear outputs.

Just my 2c
I couldn't and I bet anyone else in the thread can't tell the diff is shimmed 2mm off the chassis. We ran like this for a month before moving to the 40T and honestly I didn't notice a difference.

This was the only option for spurs at the time, the 40T works fine IMO no need to put anything else on there. But the option is there for those who want it.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SaladFork
I couldn't and I bet anyone else in the thread can't tell the diff is shimmed 2mm off the chassis. We ran like this for a month before moving to the 40T and honestly I didn't notice a difference.

This was the only option for spurs at the time, the 40T works fine IMO no need to put anything else on there. But the option is there for those who want it.
My only point was it's not a mod that will really help anyone unless they bought a motor that is running too hot and they need it geared less than an 11t pinion? Not sure what motor falls into that category anyway... so even if there was a slight effeciency to having a larger spur by moving the alignment off further causing more resistance any tiny gain would be muted. I get your point, this option was fine when there was no choice.. but someone will read these comments and do this as a mod thinking they will gain something and in reality they really wouldn't. Even you changed to 40t ;P
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The stock plate that raises the center diff in the SCTE is 2.5mm.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

My only point was it's not a mod that will really help anyone unless they bought a motor that is running too hot and they need it geared less than an 11t pinion? Not sure what motor falls into that category anyway... so even if there was a slight effeciency to having a larger spur by moving the alignment off further causing more resistance any tiny gain would be muted. I get your point, this option was fine when there was no choice.. but someone will read these comments and do this as a mod thinking they will gain something and in reality they really wouldn't. Even you changed to 40t ;P
Not sure where you are adding resistance by adding the spur? The angle of the dangle on the drive shafts would not change enought from a 2mm rise to cause any extra resistance. I'm trying to see what you mean, but what I have ran tells me otherwise. It's all good, we could disscuss this for hours lol.

I swapped all the parts I could that had been modded to fit. The only thing I am missing is the front bumper. I bought the rear drive shaft but it's a tad to long for the ERC chassis. I have no heat issues so the 40T works for me.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Not sure where you are adding resistance by adding the spur? The angle of the dangle on the drive shafts would not change enought from a 2mm rise to cause any extra resistance. I'm trying to see what you mean, but what I have ran tells me otherwise. It's all good, we could disscuss this for hours lol.

I swapped all the parts I could that had been modded to fit. The only thing I am missing is the front bumper. I bought the rear drive shaft but it's a tad to long for the ERC chassis. I have no heat issues so the 40T works for me.

It's really not a bid deal, but I was just saying stock nitro the outputs and inputs are even w/ the econversion and 40t it adds 2.5mm of additional angle from the f/r diff outputs to the center diff (not a biggy), to get a 42+ spur in you need 2+more mm making the total now 4.5 to 5mm off (ok getting there). I would think with any system with a perfectly lined up center diff to the front and rear outputs would create less resistance than being off axis but I could be wrong? I agree most won't feel a difference with 2mm of COG difference, but then again many claimed to be able to feel it w/ the tekno conversions as they lower their batteries down into the chassis a few mm (not a bad idea for a future light wieght chassis design). Anyway done on this

Last edited by 8ight-e; 04-04-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Can I use Diff grease to lube up the part on the driveshaft that pivots near the hubs? I believe its called cv joint <---NUBE
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

It's really not a bid deal, but I was just saying stock nitro the outputs and inputs are even w/ the econversion and 40t it adds 2.5mm of additional angle from the f/r diff outputs to the center diff (not a biggy), to get a 42+ spur in you need 2+more mm making the total now 4.5 to 5mm off (ok getthing there). I would think with any system with a perfectly lined up center diff to the front and rear outputs would create less resistance than being off axis but I could be wrong? I agree most won't feel a difference with 2mm of COG difference, but then again many claimed to be able to feel it w/ the tekno conversions as they lower their batteries down into the chassis a few mm (not a bad idea for a future light wieght chassis design). Anyway done on this
I would like to see a better battery tray like you mentioned, pushing it lower on the chassis. I also have a Carbon Fiber chassis for this truck with the kick up. I think it's the only one... Cost me a f-in arm and a leg maybe I should use it lol.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default Other Springs for the Ten-SCTE shocks

Ten-SCTE springs measure .670 I.D. Traxxas Jato Springs measure .695 and I have used these on Ten-T shocks on a Slash 4X4 (on the front).

Also, RC4Less sells a set of Dirt Oval springs with .695" I.D. that are designed for OFNA shocks: http://www.rc4less.com/product_info....5a92337d3dd599

The RC4less springs come in 2 lb increments so not many of their weights are likely to be useful. You can also buy individual pairs instead of the set. I haven't tried the RC4Less springs on Ten-T shocks.

The Jato springs come in smaller weight increments and should be more useful. The extra .025" I.D means the springs don't snap on the adjuster and lower spring cup but they work fine.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The angle of the dangle
LOL.... Sounds like something snoop dog would say.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

The angle of the dangle
Originally Posted by jhautz
LOL.... Sounds like something snoop dog would say.

My wife would also say the angle of the dangle creates more resistance
Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I was inspecting my car after Saturday races and found both front and rear drive shafts cracked at the dog bone end to the center diff. I order replacements but I wish there was a stronger drive shaft available. Here is a picture of the rear drive shaft end:

Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fireflysti
I was inspecting my car after Saturday races and found both front and rear drive shafts cracked at the dog bone end to the center diff. I order replacements but I wish there was a stronger drive shaft available. Here is a picture of the rear drive shaft end:
Did you get a rock or something stuck near the diff in there? That outdrive looks like it was rubbing on something pretty bad. Maybe right against the motor? How does the motor look right next to that cup?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Did you get a rock or something stuck near the diff in there? That outdrive looks like it was rubbing on something pretty bad. Maybe right against the motor? How does the motor look right next to that cup?
Yeah, I had the motor too close to the out drive and it rubbed a little, but that was weeks ago and I fixed that. Same crack is also on the front drive shaft and that one wasn't rubbing anything.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thats your story and because it's your opinion your sticking to it I can from
your posts to Saladfork.....LOL"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.