Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Casper
This is typcial for digital servo's They are always trying to find center and if there is any friction on the front tires it may not get all the way back to dead center and they will hum. Perfectly normal.
Thank you very much Casper!!!
So a BEC or something similar isn't needed?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boba.slave
Thank you very much Casper!!!
So a BEC or something similar isn't needed?
You would only need to add that if the car is stuttering or cutting out. That noise has nothing to do with the BEC. It is just the digital motor in the servo trying to nudge the wheels over the last little bit. It should stop making the noise if you pick the front tires off the ground.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 176 (100%+)
Wink

This is typcial for digital servo's They are always trying to find center and if there is any friction on the front tires it may not get all the way back to dead center and they will hum. Perfectly normal.
Actually what is happening is known as a brown out. Those Savox servos draw alot of juice. Couple that with the fact that your running a Castle ESC which is known for having sub par BEC. When that servo tries to pull alot of current it will shut down for a brief moment and recenter itself. Your first remedy should be to try either a Novak or Spektrum capacitor. If that doesnt fix the problem you will need to run a CC 10a BEC. Personally I dont run Castles ESCs anymore for that exact reason. The RX8 with run anything you throw at it along with many other cheaper ESCs out there.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gbyfield
I tried the RCshox 2 stage pistons for the first time at my last race, I ran 32.5 front and 30 rear with standard blue springs.

I run on a UK outdoor bumpy track, I tried using big bore shocks before as I needed more pack for the bumps and jumps but was never happy. Don't bother changing the shocks just the pistons, the RCshox 2 stage pistons are awesome they give better response in the bumpy sections and good pack for the jumps, I could corner so hard without rolling the tyres came off the rims!

Excellent job Marcus
Thanks for the info, think I'll order some. Anyone have any input on the M2C pistons as I am thinking of trying them out as well. Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lawnmowerjockey
Thanks for the info, think I'll order some. Anyone have any input on the M2C pistons as I am thinking of trying them out as well. Thanks
I run the M2C's and they have been great. I would use heavier oils than what is recommended. I run 37 1/2F and 35R
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pistolpete1982
Ive searched and been reading this thread for awhile, but maybe someone can help me out with my setup.

Mamba Monster ESC
CC 3800 w/fan
15t pinion

Ive only raced twice with this setup and each qualifier and mains it seemed the motor was hotter than normal. No issues with it while its running, just when Im done it seemed the motor was too hot. Didn't temp it but not sure what to do. I thought of going down a tooth or two on pinion but not sure how much of a difference it would make. Also do you guys think it would be the ESC? Ive read everyone running the Mamba Max Pro, not the Mamba Monster, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the help
I ran that motor w/ the MMP for months geared 14-16t depending on track. It's hot here now, so you really need to get a temp gun. Last summer I never hit above 170 with the 3800. Your 15t should be fine.
Do all the normal binding checks, wiring solid, etc.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI
hi guys. my scte is on its way from 1hobbies. do you guys prefer the tekin pro4 motors or the tekin 550 sc motors? ill be running on a very large outdoor loamy track. if its been asked already, can you point me in the direction for the posts.

also has anyone tried any other esc instead of the rx8? im looking at the hobbywing. i run the xerun's in my touring cars and wanted to keep the electrics in the same family.

thanks.
I run Viper Copperhead R45 in my scte. At $150 it is a steal and has all the power and smoothness you would need. Don't let the low price fool ya.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

I'm running Orion r10pro with Novak 550 4.5 I want to upgrade to tekin pro4. 4600 do I need new firmware to make motor smooth or something?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Rookie

That is pretty agressive gearing for that motor. Dropping down the CL to 80% really will not hurt performance but will help with motor temps as it gets rid of amp spikes that just translate into motor heat. Going back down to 15 with a little current limiter to limit wheel spin may be the ticket for you. Going up in gearing I am sure calmed down the bottom end on that motor for you to help make it more controllable. You can do this to an extent with CL settings as well and not have to run so agressive on the gearing.
I put the 15 back in with the 80 cl. Dropped my temp down to 145, rpm back up to 34000. Times stayed about the same but did have one .9 sec better . am not fish tailing as much comming out of turns. One thing I did notice right off was while in the air giving it throttle did not bring up the nose as fast so I am working on that. If you are limiting rpm by battery voltage and and not gearing wouldn't you be better off with 16t if you are not having temp problems?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Thicker center diff will take away some off power steering. I would try a softer front spring or a little more front camber first.
I'm not sure this result is typical but I just switched to a 7k center and drove my temps up 10'. Now I'm on a loose track so maybe the two items combined to drive temps.. seemed like I was spinning my tires a bit more w/ the 7k. Steering didn't seem too impacted.

I have not tried no front sway bar yet so not sure exactly how big a change that is on this truck.
You should give the no sway a shot quick.. it's the only way I run anymore
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brushless420
Actually what is happening is known as a brown out. Those Savox servos draw alot of juice. Couple that with the fact that your running a Castle ESC which is known for having sub par BEC. When that servo tries to pull alot of current it will shut down for a brief moment and recenter itself. Your first remedy should be to try either a Novak or Spektrum capacitor. If that doesnt fix the problem you will need to run a CC 10a BEC. Personally I dont run Castles ESCs anymore for that exact reason. The RX8 with run anything you throw at it along with many other cheaper ESCs out there.
I agree with this. The savox + spektrum + castle combo has had a lot of reports of brown outs / glitching.

Does the problem happen when you suspend the car so that none of the wheels/tyres are touching the ground? It should be virtually silent. Then, with your hands off the transmitter (but everything on), start to turn the front wheels of the car so that the servo needs to resist your movements. This will make the servo draw current from the ESC. Apart from some humming from the servo, you should not get much glitching / twitching. If you do, it is because the BEC is overloaded and shutting down.

I used a Novak capacitor to fix this for my Mamba Max Pro, but a sure fire way to fix this for a couple more dollars (and some more soldering) is a separate BEC.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing
I run the SCT Pro sensored esc from hobbywing with a tenshock motor and love it!
are you running the 4000 or 4600? I too will be running this set-up and excited to get it running as i converted my 810 to the SCTE but just waiting for a few last parts and funds...

Also, what pinion are you running and should i snag up a couple when i order 1 so i have different sizes or should i stick to one and change limiter settings on the esc rather than pinions?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TCCustoms
are you running the 4000 or 4600? I too will be running this set-up and excited to get it running as i converted my 810 to the SCTE but just waiting for a few last parts and funds...

Also, what pinion are you running and should i snag up a couple when i order 1 so i have different sizes or should i stick to one and change limiter settings on the esc rather than pinions?
I run the 5200kv but will probably move down to the 4600kv i would grab a 13,14,15t pinions to start they are the mod 1 pinions...i run mine at punch 4 or 5 which is like limiting on other esc's
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing
I run the 5200kv but will probably move down to the 4600kv i would grab a 13,14,15t pinions to start they are the mod 1 pinions...i run mine at punch 4 or 5 which is like limiting on other esc's
I run my punch setting at 5 with a 12 tooth pinion. Make sure and get some high capacity batteries though (6000<). The tenshock motors will lay waste to my turnigy nano-tec 6600's in about 8 min.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

awesome...ya, i was looking at Losi's site and see they run from like 12-18t mod1 pinions so i'll order them once im ready. Selling my slash 4x4 to finish up the scte conversion and selling the nitro stuff off my 810 to help along so this will be my only baby so i wanna get it right the first time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.