Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
those hopup pivots don't look like they have any more options vs the stock choices. Stockers look more than durable enough. I doubt those carbon shock towers offer much more than a few oz savings. If they drop front spindles, I'll go for those the rest looks unnecessary iMO. Thanks for the thoughts though. I'll wait till parts wear or break before bothering.
Actually, the rear shock tower is pretty prone to bending. My buddy bent his wednesday with the factory bumper. The one on mine has been bent a lot and hammered back straight each time, lol. It's just a thin stamped piece. You'll notice the body won't want to fit right before anything else, but it's pretty much guaranteed it's gonna get tweaked

The carbon towers or the fancy aluminum ones aren't very expensive and HAVE to be tougher than the stockers

Aluminum spindles is probably the least needed option parts the truck needs...the stock plastic is amazingly durable.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=hgrove99;8744759]
Originally Posted by SaladFork
I've been loving the CC 1410... For how small it is, it's been faster than any of the 4.5 cans I tried (The SP V10 is very close). We also ran the 1415 on 3S today at the track, started 11t and could have used a 13T for more strait speed.

I also have the Tekin 5.5 and have ran both 2 and 3S, it's works awesome on 3S, 2S also works fine but I had more fun on 3S .

Check out the size and weight on a few different motors. I would recommend the 1410 all day.

ME
Im putting an mmp sct w/1415 and i have roar legal 2s 5800 battery packs...can you estimate what kind of run times ill be lookin at?

WOW IM SORRY I REALLY MESSED THIS QUOTE UP SOMEHOW
Seeing as we all just got the proper gearing from losi on wednesday, nobody has had much of a chance to test much yet. I'll be headed to the track tonight and will post up temps and battery usage on the 1415 with the 20/40 gearing on 2s.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

In case anyone is wondering about the stock tires. They look like they would work pretty well. They look just like PL Bowtie 1/8 scale tires (Not the bowtie SC tires) They feel like the compound is in between M2 and M3. If you can't find wheels yet (most places have them now) and you're wondering about racing on the stockers, I would say that unless you are running on pure indoor smooth clay, the stock tires might be a decent choice. I won't get to try it on the track for a few more days, but those are my initial thoughts.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sorry for back to back posts, but here goes.

You Losi team guys: I have an xcelorin 1/10 scale esc that has worked just fine for me (unlike the 1/8 scale esc) anyway, I was thinking about trying this out with my Novak Ballistic 4.5 550 motor. I've never messed with the timing or anything on this esc, but can you guys list your settings on this ESC?

I have the Losi software (probably need to do a version upgrade) and the plug to attach to the computer, I just need recommended software and firmware versions and what the settings are.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SaladFork
Go back and read from the beginning of this thread... I was also a non-believer.

So thanks to all who helped me become a believer.
You're welcome

Originally Posted by harydog5150
I'm reading a lot of posts about 4.5 550 motors. I'm running a Neu 1509 and an MMP setup in mine. Blazing fast with a 15t pinion and runs about 100 degrees. Is anyone else using this setup out there?
That is my best setup so far, running a Neu 1409/1Y w MMP (extra caps on esc), I have all Novak's 550's and both of the new CC motors for SCT's and still find my Neu 1409/1Y to be the best

Originally Posted by chiro972
You really shouldn't make statements like that as if they are fact. In fact, I ran a Novak ballistic 550 with a MMP all last season and had not one single issue. I do know that lots of them did, but for whatever reason I did not.

I think it was due to me NOT downloading a buggy firmware update and because I use an analog servo, but for whatever reason, mine is absolutely wonderful. Smoothest esc I have ever used.
+1 I own 3 MMP's with no issues and only recently decided to put extra caps on 2 of them for a peace of mind rather than I needed too

Originally Posted by Ridley
Actually, the rear shock tower is pretty prone to bending. My buddy bent his wednesday with the factory bumper. The one on mine has been bent a lot and hammered back straight each time, lol. It's just a thin stamped piece. You'll notice the body won't want to fit right before anything else, but it's pretty much guaranteed it's gonna get tweaked

The carbon towers or the fancy aluminum ones aren't very expensive and HAVE to be tougher than the stockers

Aluminum spindles is probably the least needed option parts the truck needs...the stock plastic is amazingly durable.
+1 on the towers and don't forget about the rear hubs that have been said to break as well. I ordered the f/r carbon towers aluminum hubs and f/r pivot hinges and sway bar set right off the bat.
I personally like having tuning options and rather have the parts ready to be replaced than be at the track and not have them
Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In case anyone is wondering about the stock tires. They look like they would work pretty well. They look just like PL Bowtie 1/8 scale tires (Not the bowtie SC tires) They feel like the compound is in between M2 and M3. If you can't find wheels yet (most places have them now) and you're wondering about racing on the stockers, I would say that unless you are running on pure indoor smooth clay, the stock tires might be a decent choice. I won't get to try it on the track for a few more days, but those are my initial thoughts.
i ran the stock tires on a fresh indoor track weds night and they worked very good. the track is between being grooved up and loose film over top. i treated the stockers over night in a bag and now feel like glue. Prob about a m4 or aka super soft. I will switch over to suburbs when more rubber has been laid down on the track
Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Rookie

i got this truck monday, buy surprise i wasnt expecting it till sometine later this month, my thoughts are this truck handles, turns and jumps with ease straight out of the box, a few set up changes and tires, WOW!!!!! its un beleavable, allmost has the same charactoristics as an 1/8 scale. power plant im using is a mmp sct pro 2400 w 15pinion on TP 45c 5000 3s rought about 20 min run times temping 100 on avg. buy far the best sct 4x4 that i have driven. the only bad thing is the rear shock towers bend forward if lands on the roof. other than that awesome trucks. good by slash 4x4
Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Forgot to ask saw plenty of people noting hop ups.. but do you really need any hop ups at all? I saw on casey's he had the alum pivot supports and hubs, or is it just a little bling basically? I know I don't need any upgrades on my 8ight-e, it's a frickin tank... hoping for similar luck w/ this sct.
Nothing is needed at all. The truck works great stock and is very durable. I use the aluminum pivot supports due to the adjustability and the weight savings is nice too. The rear ones are more necessary than the front if you are just going for adjustability though. I use the carbon towers as they shave weight up high but mostly because they are VERY strong and I wont bend them at all. I use the one pice shock mounts as the screws can bend from time to time. I use the aluminum rear hubs because I broke a stock one once which is the only part I've ever broken on this and the 810 through all testing. But that is all just me. Do what you want and have a great time. Thats what really matters after all.

You Losi team guys: I have an xcelorin 1/10 scale esc that has worked just fine for me (unlike the 1/8 scale esc) anyway, I was thinking about trying this out with my Novak Ballistic 4.5 550 motor. I've never messed with the timing or anything on this esc, but can you guys list your settings on this ESC?

I have the Losi software (probably need to do a version upgrade) and the plug to attach to the computer, I just need recommended software and firmware versions and what the settings are.

Thanks!
To all, the gearing recommendations are using the xcelorin speedo. If you are using anything else, I would start lower and work your way up. As for the settings, most are at the default except drag brake is around 4.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Thanks!
I think 130 is the latest software.

You can get the software and firmware downloads here.
http://losi.com/Support/XcelorinDownloads.aspx

You need a 32bit windows XP machine though. Anything newer and the driver for the usb adapter will not work!

Settings.
Lipo cutoff- (I run nimh mode to not use it but if you run for long periods of time set this to 3V/cell)
Brake/Reverse- Forward w/o reverse
Throttle limite- 0%
Motor Timing High (4*)
Brake %- I set at 80% and then turn it down on my radio
Initial acceleration- High
%Drag brake- 0

I use a Spektrum radio so I set it it 2.4ghz
I run stock dead band which I think is 4.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer
You're welcome

That is my best setup so far, running a Neu 1409/1Y w MMP (extra caps on esc), I have all Novak's 550's and both of the new CC motors for SCT's and still find my Neu 1409/1Y to be the best

+1 I own 3 MMP's with no issues and only recently decided to put extra caps on 2 of them for a peace of mind rather than I needed too

+1 on the towers and don't forget about the rear hubs that have been said to break as well. I ordered the f/r carbon towers aluminum hubs and f/r pivot hinges and sway bar set right off the bat.
I personally like having tuning options and rather have the parts ready to be replaced than be at the track and not have them
I've got a ton of time on the conversion truck, and the rear hubs have held up just fine, no issues there. Not even any slop in them yet. The only "issues" I have seen so far, is the outdrives on my conversion were soft and wore faster than I think appropriate. Even the replacement center ones I was sent are wearing fast...supposedly they are the new harder ones. I'm anxiously awaiting these new "HD" outdrives if and when they come to market. Again though, these were out of Ten-T's though...the newer ones are said to be harder.

Then the other issue is the rear shock tower is kinda flimsy.

I also have not had the diff pin wear some were having...and all my diffs came from ten-t's. I use mugen diff fluid, but that shouldn't have done anything to prolong longevity IMO.

Nothing real serious, and I have around 15 weekends and 10 or 11 A Main wins on the conversion truck.

IMO, this truck is a STEAL for what you get, the performance, and it's durability. There isn't anything else out there even close at the moment.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by harydog5150
I'm reading a lot of posts about 4.5 550 motors. I'm running a Neu 1509 and an MMP setup in mine. Blazing fast with a 15t pinion and runs about 100 degrees. Is anyone else using this setup out there?
hey david im running the same thing but a 14t and was barely hot I can actually hold my hand on the motor for awhile, where on my jammin I couldnt, im probably gonna go to a 15 or 16t
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've got a ton of time on the conversion truck, and the rear hubs have held up just fine, no issues there. Not even any slop in them yet.

Nothing real serious, and I have around 15 weekends and 11 A Main wins on the conversion truck.
Good to know on the rear hubs, I plan to replace only if necessary.
I see I got a lot of catching up to do
It won't take long
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The rear hub thing is not a real "problem" per se. If you are going to break a part on the rear of the car this is the most likely part but they are far from "weak" It takes a mighty hit to break one.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Out for delivery ups needs to get here!!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm hoping so, but one thing I learned on here fast, is that for some reason we use more battery and run higher temps than what many post on here IDK exactly why, maybe because we drive harder, have tackier tracks, use more brakes, spend less time upside down, or simply don't exagerate...whatever the reason....we are always at the upper echelon of heat and battery consumption. For instance, I was putting that much or a little more back into my batteries when I was running this motor at a dog turd slow .44 ratio.....so I know it will be more now at .50.

Case in point #2, was my buddy about melting down his novak 4.5 yesterday with the recommended 16t pinion gear Came off somewhere over 190* with only 10* timing

Here is a typical track we run, my losi is the bright yellow one starting 4th on the grid. Whats the Losi doing 4th on the grid...well, I can thank my trusty MMP for that debacle...RX8 in for the main, though I still blew my chance with 1 minute left. That race was with a novak 4.5, geared 17/52, came off at 165*, and used around 6200mah in 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsGF1...layer_embedded

That track is really huge. I'm thinking the reason you're seeing higher temps than normal is all those badass long sections of track. That track is easily double the size of what I ran mine on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.