Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree80Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I forgot about the original ball cups. The ones that came on the DEX210v2 and newer vehicles are a lot better though.

I thought I was the only one that had problems with the diff screws. It seems like the ones that come in the diff kits are the bad ones. When I replace them, they don't seem to strip out.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

This reminds me. Front C-Hubs were what I broke most. So glad I went with the aluminum ones
Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I want any new people to Durango to know that as many times as I've told myself that I'm done with this car or company, and there have been many, I've never actually done it. Something has always pulled me back. I don't really have much time to get to a track so maybe that would change if I were as active as many others are. There are a few things that I do love about the car and the company and obviously many things that I don't like. There are many things that I don't like or agree with in every other company as well.

My favorite thing about the 210 is the gearbox. I love it. I love the versatility of rear motor or mid motor as well as the 3 vs 4 gear options, although I do personally hate 4 gear. I don't believe that there's a design compromise to having a car that can do both mid or rear motor. I think that's a convenient excuse among the other manufacturers to dissuade anyone from purchasing their competitors product. I like that the slipper is so compact with the adjustment sticking out the opposite side of the case rather than hanging so far off of the same side. This allowed the versatility of giving the option of mounting the rear shocks either behind or in front of the rear arms. I personally like them in front. Look at the B6. Unless you have the lay down gearbox, there's no room for the shocks in front of the arms. Durango was the first with arm inserts that allow you to easily change rear toe, front axle trail, and front caster without having to replace entire parts. For all the flaws that the car has, they innovated in many areas that are now standard. I do prefer the vertical ball stud mounting on the aluminum rear hubs but they are horribly expensive parts and machined too tight which makes the toe inserts difficult to deal with.

I prefer a few things that Exotek did with the car better than the original design and if Durango ever comes out with another car, I hope they integrate those designs. One is the arms mounts. The way that Exotek allows you to easily shim the RF mount to quickly change rear kick was brilliant. I personally use the Exotek rear bulkhead which removed the camber links from the gearbox to it instead. That's less stress on the gearbox which on V1 models was prone to breaking. I'd like to see the option to mount the rear shock tower on this bulkhead so gearbox removal could be easy but at the same time that would remove the option to mount the rear shocks in front of the arms, where I like them.

The front end absolutely needs the RDRP steering rack. Period. I'd prefer not to see ackerman adjustments in this area anyways as I'd prefer them done at the hub end.

I believe that the V1 rear shock length and rear tower are superior to the later ones. I also believe that the V2/3 front arms used with V1 front shocks but a slightly taller front tower would be the perfect setup. The car needs more suspension up travel and this combination gives it.

Obviously the chassis needs to be dealt with. They must give us different battery orientation options. Again, Exotek got this right. I personally prefer carbon fiber to aluminum anyways.

I think the main reason I haven't left is because of Chris Doughty. He's just an all around standup guy and I think people above him in his company are making it hard on him. He is always very friendly and is easy to reach out to. I love to support good people.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

+1 and well sayed fred!
Also can just say the same about Chris Doughty, hr is a great guy and always i had a chat with him, he quickly answerd and had good solutions/informations for me!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Need some front arms! New style not gull wing. I have plenty of gull wing arms and want to try the newer arms. I have an old v1 that I am still running. Can't find any arms in stock in the US. Found some in UK.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by micholix
+1 and well sayed fred!
Also can just say the same about Chris Doughty, hr is a great guy and always i had a chat with him, he quickly answerd and had good solutions/informations for me!
How should I contact Chris please? Shall I get his contacts if possible please? I am not live in the UK.
Thanks
Old 12-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by invrtd
Need some front arms! New style not gull wing. I have plenty of gull wing arms and want to try the newer arms. I have an old v1 that I am still running. Can't find any arms in stock in the US. Found some in UK.
Can you give me a part number for exactly what you're looking for?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah I don't know what it is, but I've always had this nagging intrigue about Durango. So I finally just took the plunge. I didn't search hard enough and ended up totally restoring a DESC210 and DEST210; right when I finished the DEST I found both kits new in the box at a local shop. Good experience and I have a ton of spares now. . But like you, a major attraction point is that everything can be changed on their chassis designs. The cars can be adapted to anything. While this can be a double edged sword and complicate finding a setup, I believe it's worth it.

Question regarding the Exotek chassis; this new chassis simply allows you to position the shorty abeam right? You don't lose the ability to position it far forward and far back in the process, in other words it adds a new tuning option without losing the others right?

Originally Posted by fredswain
I want any new people to Durango to know that as many times as I've told myself that I'm done with this car or company, and there have been many, I've never actually done it. Something has always pulled me back. I don't really have much time to get to a track so maybe that would change if I were as active as many others are. There are a few things that I do love about the car and the company and obviously many things that I don't like. There are many things that I don't like or agree with in every other company as well.

My favorite thing about the 210 is the gearbox. I love it. I love the versatility of rear motor or mid motor as well as the 3 vs 4 gear options, although I do personally hate 4 gear. I don't believe that there's a design compromise to having a car that can do both mid or rear motor. I think that's a convenient excuse among the other manufacturers to dissuade anyone from purchasing their competitors product. I like that the slipper is so compact with the adjustment sticking out the opposite side of the case rather than hanging so far off of the same side. This allowed the versatility of giving the option of mounting the rear shocks either behind or in front of the rear arms. I personally like them in front. Look at the B6. Unless you have the lay down gearbox, there's no room for the shocks in front of the arms. Durango was the first with arm inserts that allow you to easily change rear toe, front axle trail, and front caster without having to replace entire parts. For all the flaws that the car has, they innovated in many areas that are now standard. I do prefer the vertical ball stud mounting on the aluminum rear hubs but they are horribly expensive parts and machined too tight which makes the toe inserts difficult to deal with.

I prefer a few things that Exotek did with the car better than the original design and if Durango ever comes out with another car, I hope they integrate those designs. One is the arms mounts. The way that Exotek allows you to easily shim the RF mount to quickly change rear kick was brilliant. I personally use the Exotek rear bulkhead which removed the camber links from the gearbox to it instead. That's less stress on the gearbox which on V1 models was prone to breaking. I'd like to see the option to mount the rear shock tower on this bulkhead so gearbox removal could be easy but at the same time that would remove the option to mount the rear shocks in front of the arms, where I like them.

The front end absolutely needs the RDRP steering rack. Period. I'd prefer not to see ackerman adjustments in this area anyways as I'd prefer them done at the hub end.

I believe that the V1 rear shock length and rear tower are superior to the later ones. I also believe that the V2/3 front arms used with V1 front shocks but a slightly taller front tower would be the perfect setup. The car needs more suspension up travel and this combination gives it.

Obviously the chassis needs to be dealt with. They must give us different battery orientation options. Again, Exotek got this right. I personally prefer carbon fiber to aluminum anyways.

I think the main reason I haven't left is because of Chris Doughty. He's just an all around standup guy and I think people above him in his company are making it hard on him. He is always very friendly and is easy to reach out to. I love to support good people.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

I was looking at some new kits but I see what you mean about finding one with that chassis already. Those things are ghost man. Companies out of business and I can't find any shops that even carried them, let alone have one of those chassis laying around.

Originally Posted by Cain
I can't really recall durability issues with my vehicles other than the shock shafts that the newer cars (dex210F, dex410v5) have. You will want to replace those right away with the longer shafts as it appears they overhardened the stock ones. Do it now as you will get the stupid thread part stuck in the shock eyelet and if you buy only durango parts, its expensive as they come on a "great" parts tree, 2 to a tree. Or, buy the intech equivalent that is not on a parts tree and you get quite a bit of them for around $5.

I am really liking my DESC410V2 and I agree great cheap options out there. The big thing for me though is that if you run on bigger tracks, I would definitely see if I could find one with the FF Racing chassis on it. That gives it a nice addition of weight on the rear and stupid long runtimes with the dual parallel lipos. I would say it could also benefit from a lower Kv motor in the 3500kv range fo rgearing. using the 4150kv motor indoors I am towards the limit on lower pinion gear, gonna try an 11T however motor runs cool right now at 12T or 13T.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

here is the part # for the flat arms TDR330594
Old 12-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan_r
I was looking at some new kits but I see what you mean about finding one with that chassis already. Those things are ghost man. Companies out of business and I can't find any shops that even carried them, let alone have one of those chassis laying around.
Thats the main reason I bought the one I did versus others. Out here if I chose to run it outside, which, good chance I might, i want that option of long runtime. when you have 9600mah effectively it helps alot with runtime with the way shorties are going these days, heck I think we are up to almost 11600mah .

But, with the who 3D printing thing, the mod probably easy to get made as its not a full on chassis, just the wider side pods mainly so the lipos will fit. Heck, someone could make a "stick" pack mod if they wanted too.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Rockstar; you're right about those arms. My local Durango source is out of them. He had a V2 kit on the shelf and the guy who bought it bought the last two sets he had. Smart man I guess. I'll keep an eye out for you though. Do the V3 arms not work with the 210 and V2 front end? I've got a line on a NIB 210V1 for cheap. But if it requires those arms... Nope

I myself just got smacked in the face by the Durango fire hose. I run two bodies on my cars/trucks, practice colors, which are usually box art or close to it, then pure white with minimal stickers and black wheels for my race colors.... Or lack thereof lol. So I went to buy a DEX210V3 bodyset to paint and WHAT! no one has any.... I understand about the DEST, it's been discontinued for a minute. But the DEX210V3? That's their primary bread and butter Racecar! Another one of those why did I commit to this moments. I just dropped $140 on springs, diffs and other tuning parts so I can dial in the SC and ST so I'm to far gone to save. I found a DEX210F body, will that fit the V3?
Old 12-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan_r
Rockstar; you're right about those arms. My local Durango source is out of them. He had a V2 kit on the shelf and the guy who bought it bought the last two sets he had. Smart man I guess. I'll keep an eye out for you though. Do the V3 arms not work with the 210 and V2 front end? I've got a line on a NIB 210V1 for cheap. But if it requires those arms... Nope

I myself just got smacked in the face by the Durango fire hose. I run two bodies on my cars/trucks, practice colors, which are usually box art or close to it, then pure white with minimal stickers and black wheels for my race colors.... Or lack thereof lol. So I went to buy a DEX210V3 bodyset to paint and WHAT! no one has any.... I understand about the DEST, it's been discontinued for a minute. But the DEX210V3? That's their primary bread and butter Racecar! Another one of those why did I commit to this moments. I just dropped $140 on springs, diffs and other tuning parts so I can dial in the SC and ST so I'm to far gone to save. I found a DEX210F body, will that fit the V3?
the dex210v3 arms are the same as the dex210v2 arms. dex210v1 has the gullwing arms. From what I recall, i think alot of it relates to the dex210v2 and v3 shock tower and shocks as far as what arms to use.

The dex210v3 is just the dex210v2 with some parts thrown in the box. they even just slapped a different sticker over the dex210v2 box. shoudl have called it a v2.1 personally ...

The DEX210F body is narrower from what I recall. If you can get those side pods someone posted on here made, that opens up a variety of bodies out there for other cars. Outside of that, not sure what else will fit. A V1 body may fit, but it will be sized funny.

If you get the exotek chassis or plan b chassis, then you have even more body options.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah I'm kind of adverse to using the Exotek as it changes too many things to me. Is the car still a Durango 210 with this chassis? Rhetorical question. If you have to change all of that, why are you running the car to begin with. This is all my personal view so I'm not trying to make a point to anyone or try to make them see it my way. Basically if I have to install an aftermarket chassis, I'll take the loss and list the car. Like I said before, I'm going to give it a go starting January. Ready or not, I'm campaigning them. It's weird though, I'm just not used to not having access to things like new bodies and massive aftermarket support. I have been spoiled by Associated for sure lol.

Originally Posted by Cain
the dex210v3 arms are the same as the dex210v2 arms. dex210v1 has the gullwing arms. From what I recall, i think alot of it relates to the dex210v2 and v3 shock tower and shocks as far as what arms to use.

The dex210v3 is just the dex210v2 with some parts thrown in the box. they even just slapped a different sticker over the dex210v2 box. shoudl have called it a v2.1 personally ...

The DEX210F body is narrower from what I recall. If you can get those side pods someone posted on here made, that opens up a variety of bodies out there for other cars. Outside of that, not sure what else will fit. A V1 body may fit, but it will be sized funny.

If you get the exotek chassis or plan b chassis, then you have even more body options.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is an "Exotek " 210. Proline did something similar with the Slash and called it the Pro2..
Attached Thumbnails Durango DEX210 Thread-screenshot_20161202-174016.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.