Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

HPI Vorza Flux 1/8 E-Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't see why not as long as the wheels are 17mm. there a little bigger you may want to drip a tooth or two on the pinion to keep you usual temps
Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm currently using a 18t pinion with the stock spur and my question is, if I put the stock 15t will it perform better on a small clay track? I'm going to west coast rc tommorow and I just want to know if the 15 will be better than the 18. I have a 15,17,18t pinion.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeffrocks626
I'm currently using a 18t pinion with the stock spur and my question is, if I put the stock 15t will it perform better on a small clay track? I'm going to west coast rc tommorow and I just want to know if the 15 will be better than the 18. I have a 15,17,18t pinion.
Smaller track will need smaller pinion, yes. No matter what gearing, check your motor, ESC and battery temps with a temp gun just to be sure.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PorTX
Smaller track will need smaller pinion, yes. No matter what gearing, check your motor, ESC and battery temps with a temp gun just to be sure.
True +1
Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeffrocks626
Can Truggy tires be used with our buggies?
I've run truggy tires for bashing. They work great in rough terrain. I put on some extended wheel hubs to make it about 30mm wider for extra clearance. Without the extended wheel hubs it was a bit tippy. I had it geared 19x44, the bigger tires really boosted top speed. I didn't have any heating issues since it was in the low 60's here.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigben1165
i have one of those carbon plate spacers for the center diff if you want it. another thing i saw (which isnt helping you now) but the xray 808e comes with a mount spacer that is mounted between the motor face and the mount to push it back about 3/16". this makes the motor stem stick out less far so you would not have had to cut open your receiver box.

another option you could do with your rcm mount is cut off the motor mount and clean it up, flip it around and use it as the other half of your center diff mount. along with the eliterc mount, new rcm center bearing holder and top brace you will have an all aluminum center diff! its actually what i did.
here is a pic if you can see it.
Attachment 752189

I do want it Ben! And I want that cvd from you, too. (You said you were gonna check for a missing cvd tho )

And that xray 808e spacer would definitely help in another way. Or no, it won't... I'm trying to find a way to push the pinion itself backward a bit so it bites center gear with larger contact surface. Right now, only 1/2 width of the pinion to the rear side is in contact with center gear, and i'm afraid that this will potentially tear one of them (probably pinion) one day. Pinion is too long to be mounted further backward because it's bottom end will touch the mount.

As long as i find someone who can cut the rcm mount for me, i'll do the same as you did. Did you cut it to the same width as the stock plastic diff mount? Or would you show me a picture of the shape you cut it?

p.s., how much play on the center diff (front-rear direction)? After changing to elite mount, i found that the center diff can move quite a bit forward and backward freely. Is that a big problem?

Last edited by csrcxd; 05-16-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jones8352
I've run truggy tires for bashing. They work great in rough terrain. I put on some extended wheel hubs to make it about 30mm wider for extra clearance. Without the extended wheel hubs it was a bit tippy. I had it geared 19x44, the bigger tires really boosted top speed. I didn't have any heating issues since it was in the low 60's here.

looks cool stuff.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default transponder wire

Does any body know where I can find an short extension wire for my transponder? I'm going to be racing my Vorza and truggy, didn't want to buy two transponders. What I'm trying to do is plug into a short extension wire so I can quickly plug it in without opening the rx box. The Vorza's rx box isn't the problem, the truggy's rx box takes more time to open. I'm trying to figure out a clean quick way to swap the transponder.

Any thoughts on the best place to mount it?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by csrcxd
I do want it Ben! And I want that cvd from you, too. (You said you were gonna check for a missing cvd tho )

And that xray 808e spacer would definitely help in another way. Or no, it won't... I'm trying to find a way to push the pinion itself backward a bit so it bites center gear with larger contact surface. Right now, only 1/2 width of the pinion to the rear side is in contact with center gear, and i'm afraid that this will potentially tear one of them (probably pinion) one day. Pinion is too long to be mounted further backward because it's bottom end will touch the mount.

As long as i find someone who can cut the rcm mount for me, i'll do the same as you did. Did you cut it to the same width as the stock plastic diff mount? Or would you show me a picture of the shape you cut it?

p.s., how much play on the center diff (front-rear direction)? After changing to elite mount, i found that the center diff can move quite a bit forward and backward freely. Is that a big problem?
cool, let me know where to send it, i still cant find the second original vorza cvd??? where did it go? you really dont have to follow a guide when cutting the rcm mount into a bearing holder, just use a band saw and make sure that whatever is left doesnt interfere with anything and looks reasonable good! that what i did! i had some play in the center diff before, but not as much after i went with 3 alum bearing holders and the alum top brace.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jones8352
Does any body know where I can find an short extension wire for my transponder? I'm going to be racing my Vorza and truggy, didn't want to buy two transponders. What I'm trying to do is plug into a short extension wire so I can quickly plug it in without opening the rx box. The Vorza's rx box isn't the problem, the truggy's rx box takes more time to open. I'm trying to figure out a clean quick way to swap the transponder.

Any thoughts on the best place to mount it?
you should be able to get a 3" servo extension wire from you lhs, will that work? i also have the tools to make servo wires, if you tell me what ends you will need on both sides and the total length you need i can make you one and send it to you.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by highhigh
looks cool stuff.
that is kind of cool, you should make a vorza monster truck!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im using kyo 44t/21t pinion with the tekno conversion and i have plenty of room for a bigger pinion if i want one, but again, the gear mesh is a serious pain in the ass. i would replace the mount in a heartbeat.
I ordered 6 of the kyosho 44t spurs (basically the cost of 1 lightweight 48t metal vorza spur). It is a lot quieter than the metal one, so I can hear other car related sounds that may be a problem. It also seems to hold up just as well since it is the same width as the pinion. But if it does snap a tooth or wear out all of the sudden I have two other identical center diffs ready in my toolbox for a quick replacement if I need them. You have to do a little bit of reaming to the gear so the diff housing seats properly, but other than that it is a direct fit. Sweet.

All in all it is a great mod...this will save you money on pinions that have a tendency to wear out, save you a ton of money on additional spurs and let you hear what the hell is going on with your car since it doesn't sound like a freaking blender.

Last edited by Z4Kevo; 05-16-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Z4Kevo
I ordered 6 of the kyosho 44t spurs (basically the cost of 1 lightweight 48t metal vorza spur). It is a lot quieter than the metal one, so I can hear other car related sounds that may be a problem. It also seems to hold up just as well since it is the same width as the pinion. But if it does snap a tooth or wear out all of the sudden I have two other identical center diffs ready in my toolbox for a quick replacement if I need them. You have to do a little bit of reaming to the gear so the diff housing seats properly, but other than that it is a direct fit. Sweet.

All in all it is a great mod...this will save you money on pinions that have a tendency to wear out, save you a ton of money on additional spurs and let you hear what the hell is going on with your car since it doesn't sound like a freaking blender.
im still using the same spur that i bought last year, and im running 6s!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im still using the same spur that i bought last year, and im running 6s!
Excellent! What seems to have been killing the metal spur and pinion was that the spur was narrower than the pinion...so the spur was pounding a dent into each of the pinion's teeth and eventually wearing a rounded side on the spur itself. I would ruin 2 pinions to every spur and go through these once a month (about 40 battery packs).

I put a lot of hard laps on this thing, so I am not sure what kind of mileage I will get from the plastic version (hence all the spares), but based on your experience I am very optimistic.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Got my Kyosho 44t spur last week. Have not messed with putting it on since the center diff just got fresh rebuild the week before. Have not driven the Vorza since then. I changed the diff oil set up to 7/7/3 to see how much it changes from 5/5/5. Maybe in the next week or two I can get some track time. Thinking about ordering a chassis conversion kit and better motor mount in the not to distance future for the Vorza.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.