Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by pascalfd
When you get it back (assuming you'll get the new case) I'll gladly trade it for a MMP..
I will for a monster...
Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CincinnatiKid
I will for a monster...
I've got a used V3 Mamba monster I'll trade ya!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealthpilot
I've got a used V3 Mamba monster I'll trade ya!
Has anyone here run the MMP? Gets hot. Maybe it is not a problem but does not make me comfortable. I will stick wif da MONSTER!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
If there was a fire or smoke something likely was wrong with 6 led's showing and was simply missed. However that is not thermal on an Rx8 so I would have to see the car.

What battery did you use? Is the motor ok? How hot was the motor? Was it a continuous 30 minute run????
The motor got up to about 137 degrees fahrenheit according to various heat guns but Im pretty sure that was well within safe perameters so I kept running the car anyways.

I dont know how you define continuos because Im a pretty bad driver and flip my car so often that it gets lots of little breaks between flip overs, but generally speaking it was a continuous 30 minute run.

It was about 90-95 degrees outside at the time if thats a factor at all.

Whats the next step in getting me back to running with little downtime Randy?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
One thing's i really like about the RX8 is the NO Fire upon Failure....It Just Stops....Ive personally seen and heard of Ohh so many Castle's going up in smoke and some times causing a fire in the process.....I for one could care less to have to replace my battery Tray and most of the plastics around the ESC due to melting and sheer STINK!!! (you've all smelt it before)

lol i have seen 2 rx8's totally melt down to the point of the soldier posts fall out .... 1 of them had to catch fire cause it melted the body of the buggy.

i was running rx8's but had problems with em, so i switched to MMM and have had not a single problem no fans no nothing. i still have a pair of rx8's 1 in my sons buggy and one in my oval car and they seem to be fine so far. the newest castle software is good but not as good as tekins. but i tend to believe that driving skill is needed more than esc software.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I think it is funny that failure rate on any 8th scale ESC (regardless of brand) has been so high that the arguments are now down to not whose ESC's fail, but weather or not the car catches on fire....lol.

On that note, the new software in my RX8 seems to be a lot better temp wise than before. I am nowhere near fire catching stage...haha
Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am surprised to see that people are still choosing a ESC that has the potential to catch fire ....... Castle has had so many ESC's go up in smoke
I wouldn't put one in my RC.

Luckliy this is a Tekin thread ...... I am sure their will be some dipshit on here
spreadin BS. They can take the Castle talk to the MMP thread
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

high failure rate of 1/8scale ESCs and not just them, also motors is because of much higher stress they have to go through. lots of people dont secure their esc properly so they eventually fail thanks to vibrations.

many people use cheap batteries that can cause ESC failures

many people don't gear their cars properly.

and the list goes on.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Default updated case?

I recently purchased an RX8 1550 Truggy system from A Main after it had been on back-order for quite some time. How can you tell if you've got the updated case design? My controller has a black case with a red heat-sink. I just assumed it would be the new case since they were getting in new stock. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+10 Wallot

1/8 E is abusive and hard an all Brand's, even 1/10 SC is pretty hard on
the part's. I trust in the part's and the companies that build them. Biggest reason I choose Tekin is the fact they have been around a while and have a great track record w/ ESC's. They just need a bit to get the bug's worked out.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So can I send it in and get a revised version thats not prone to catching on fire?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by JimmyS1985
So can I send it in and get a revised version thats not prone to catching on fire?
None of them are prone to catching fire, that's not the failure we have been seeing. Some here and there maybe, but everyone exaggerates extensively. The problem was board flexing and it has been addressed time and time again in this thread. Yes, you can send it in for a case upgrade and you'll be set to go.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Often times any esc that does actually smoke had help. The hard part is trying to find out which came first: the battery of the esc. Cheap batteries or even a good battery that has a weak cell can create a lot of ripple current to the point it will ruin the esc. A battery that cannot sustain voltage under a load will cause esc failure. This can even be seen in 1/10 but is far more rare due to the lower current draws.

The latest case change on the Rx8 make the speedo near bullet proof. Anything can fail, we are talking about electronics. I can't speak for others but I can speak for Tekin. We are dedicated for making the best 1/8 esc available.

Any esc can let out the magic smoke. If you've lost more than one this way you need to SERIOUSLY look at your battery/motor setup.

Let's keep the thread constructive, if we don't it will get shutdown and I'd hate for a new person to loose out on all this good info.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by CincinnatiKid
chill out buddy they have a long way to go with their rx8.
You really should research before posting, everyone with the updated versions are happy! I would know as I see every ESC that comes in and the repeat customers in the service department are dwindling. I understand you are frustrated and we will take care of the issue as we do with everyone else.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)

Tekins customer service is bar none! they are some of the best Techs out there also!

Even on forums helping us out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.