Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I just wanted to chime and & ask why fans? Believe me, i have 2 in a package from Evercool--ball bearings and everything. I have just never found the reason to need them--even in very hot August temps. What gives?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
The solder joints look good but I'll redo them. What about the lack of audible tones?
No tone if the speedo doesn't see the motor
Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

The fan is rather important, it serves three purposes:

1. Allows the ESC to give the audio tones when turned on

2. Cools the ESC,

3. Blows out the dust accumulated on the heatsink. If you don't have the fan, there could be enough dust build up to create a dust-blanket on the heatsink and impair its ability to dissipate heat.

If the fan wasn't needed, then Tekin engineers would not have included it. Running without the fan would be suicide for the ESC, unless your running in december on an ice track
Old 08-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by godzila
Hello guys, I did a bunch of post searches and saw different suggestions on gearing and timing, just wanted to double check on what everyone was currently running on this setup. Here is what I have:
Losi 8ight 2.0 with stock diff gear
Tekno Conversion
T8 2050kv motor
Rx8 ESC running 208 software
Hyperion 4s 45c battery.
Track is medium size, lap times in the 34s range, I would not consider it to be a tight track or flowing track but a mix of the two. If any guys on here are local it would be for King RCs track in King, NC

If you could give me an idea of gearing and motor timing I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks

I run a 1900 set-up and gear at either 44/15 or 45/15

run the stock C1 setting's and try it....Try C2 and see if you get any improvements.

Originally Posted by Galeleo
The fan is rather important, it serves three purposes:

1. Allows the ESC to give the audio tones when turned on

2. Cools the ESC,

3. Blows out the dust accumulated on the heatsink. If you don't have the fan, there could be enough dust build up to create a dust-blanket on the heatsink and impair its ability to dissipate heat.

If the fan wasn't needed, then Tekin engineers would not have included it. Running without the fan would be suicide for the ESC, unless your running in december on an ice track

I dont run a fan Nor does Ty and Randy...so Suicide i think not .....layer of dust I dont think so....The ESC will chime with or without the fan plugged in.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The fan has NOTHING to do with the audible chime. The chime is actually created by the motor! No motor contact, no chime.

The fan is also NOT required to run the Rx8. I rarely run one at all. As long as you've got some airflow through the body you'll likely be fine. Gearing and setup are key to good temps on the esc and motor.

If you're Rx8 has no chime but arms try this first: Unplug the sensor harness from the esc, see if it now chimes and runs.

For Rx8 setups with gearing info:

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC...up-sheets.html
Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
The fan has NOTHING to do with the audible chime. The chime is actually created by the motor! No motor contact, no chime.

The fan is also NOT required to run the Rx8. I rarely run one at all. As long as you've got some airflow through the body you'll likely be fine. Gearing and setup are key to good temps on the esc and motor.

If you're Rx8 has no chime but arms try this first: Unplug the sensor harness from the esc, see if it now chimes and runs.

For Rx8 setups with gearing info:

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC...up-sheets.html

Randy,

I tried unplugging the sensor harness from the esc and still no chime or throttle. The motor checked out fine because I used a friend's MMP and throttle works so all that's left is the esc.

All the solder posts have a good solder connection and there's continuity between the wires with a voltmeter.

Does that mean I have to send this one to Tekin again?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
Randy,

I tried unplugging the sensor harness from the esc and still no chime or throttle. The motor checked out fine because I used a friend's MMP and throttle works so all that's left is the esc.

All the solder posts have a good solder connection and there's continuity between the wires with a voltmeter.

Does that mean I have to send this one to Tekin again?
something you should try is looking at the low voltage cutoff. if you have it set for the wrong pack config, it won't arm. I had it set to 4s while running a 2 and the esc wouldnt arm until I fixed it and changed it to 2s.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rock3ralex
something you should try is looking at the low voltage cutoff. if you have it set for the wrong pack config, it won't arm. I had it set to 4s while running a 2 and the esc wouldnt arm until I fixed it and changed it to 2s.

Like I said it arms and does the whole start up sequence but no chime or throttle. I even took out LVC at one time and still no luck.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by Galeleo
Running without the fan would be suicide for the ESC
My experience shows it's the other way around : running the ESC with the fan is suicide for the fan. The last one I put on came back with not one blade left at the end of the day lol.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Ya, i noticed that today. I went out for some practice at my local track and noticed that I am missing 2 blades!!

I do stand corrected on my last post btw. Anyhow, I run the fan since it adds little weight and it provides some feedback in regards to temps, when I hear the fan running, I know the ESC is warm and gives me a cue to check the temps. I am rather cautious with temps and would rather over check than under check. The last thing I need is for my ESC to thermal or worse yet, my batteries to get too hot/puff and burn my car to the ground.

Looks like I am on the hunt for a new fan too...

I have to say I have run my newly converted brushless buggy about a dozen times with my RX8/1900 combo and I have to say it is a total pleasure to drive! I don't know why I waited so long to run electric, but I know my nitro is not going to get run any time soon!!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Default Tekin wins

Just wanted to give a update. Ran a Tekin RX8/T8 1700 on 4s geared 46/21, software 208 at the Missouri State Offroad Championships yesterday for the first time. The car was faster on better handling then the 2050 system I had run for the past 2 seasons. 90+ degree day and the motor never got hotter then 150. Ended up winning the A over some pretty fast nitros.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default Tekin: RC Monster Bash 1/8 Champions.....

Originally Posted by X God
Just wanted to give a update. Ran a Tekin RX8/T8 1700 on 4s geared 46/21, software 208 at the Missouri State Offroad Championships yesterday for the first time. The car was faster on better handling then the 2050 system I had run for the past 2 seasons. 90+ degree day and the motor never got hotter then 150. Ended up winning the A over some pretty fast nitros.
Congrats man, My Tekin systems ran awesome as well yesterday. Making Tekin the 5th Annual "Rc Monster Bash" Champions in 1/8th Buggy and Truggy @ Station 2 Raceway in Ny. I also Tq'd over Monster Mike himself by 1 second in Buggy and his team driver Ben White, by 6-7 seconds in Truggy! Tekin faired well at a Castle sponsored event! Second week in a row my new style Tekins outperformed the competition. I am so happy that it seems the bugs have been worked out. These things are crazy fast and crazy smoooth! RC Driver also sponsored/covered the event and is going to be in their up coming issue. Thanks a ton Tekin...........Boomer

Last edited by Bman's 3XNT; 08-29-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cool, Thanks for the info guys.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I ran my RX8 / 1550kv yesterday and had a miserble day. I was previously running it on 5s 5000mah lipos and moved up to a 6s 5800kv yesterday. The first issue I had was when I gave it full throttle it acted like the ESC was cutting off and would hit the brakes for a split second giving the popping noise from the center diff jumping the gears. I had the current turned down to 70. I figured the ESC wasn't getting enough juice so I bumped it up to
90. That seemed to fix that.

Next due to the torque of the motor with the added voltage I destroyed 2 rear diffs.

Then to finish it off the ESC started acting up . I don't know if it was from over heating but it acted like it was hitting thermal cut out. I was so ill at it I didn't get it out to check it today.

I am very pleased with the RX8 . I just think changing the battery threw the set up off and caused the over heating issue. I'm running the same gearing as I had with the 5s. Should I have went down in pinion to compensate for the added voltage ? Would that help the over heating issue? I'm currently running 15/45 in my Losi truggy. I'm not giving up on it. Just looking for some guidance.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairdog
I ran my RX8 / 1550kv yesterday and had a miserble day. I was previously running it on 5s 5000mah lipos and moved up to a 6s 5800kv yesterday. The first issue I had was when I gave it full throttle it acted like the ESC was cutting off and would hit the brakes for a split second giving the popping noise from the center diff jumping the gears. I had the current turned down to 70. I figured the ESC wasn't getting enough juice so I bumped it up to
90. That seemed to fix that.

Next due to the torque of the motor with the added voltage I destroyed 2 rear diffs.

Then to finish it off the ESC started acting up . I don't know if it was from over heating but it acted like it was hitting thermal cut out. I was so ill at it I didn't get it out to check it today.

I am very pleased with the RX8 . I just think changing the battery threw the set up off and caused the over heating issue. I'm running the same gearing as I had with the 5s. Should I have went down in pinion to compensate for the added voltage ? Would that help the over heating issue? I'm currently running 15/45 in my Losi truggy. I'm not giving up on it. Just looking for some guidance.

Almost all of the problems you described could be attributed to over gearing. You need to gear down to compensate for the additional voltage. Should fix almost all of the problems you described. Dropping down to 12 or 13T pinion should be about right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.