Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

i have a problem with my new backup RX8 - strange that it is still the black ESC but as long as it works i dont care.

however it does not work well with hotwire

first it took like 20 attempts to update to ESC to the latest software and now it is not possible to apply any settings to ESC as I keep getting message to get the latest version of hotwire from tekin website. I HAVE THE LATEST version. I even downloaded it again and installed on my second laptop. same problem.

ESC went right from the box to hotwire as I first wanted to have it setup before soldering
Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Had a race in canada, ran 3 quals (5 min) and the main (10min) and i had no problems. I mounted it with servo tape wires were pretty long and loose as well with the sensor wire. I ran a Venom 4S 5000 mah 35C lipo. The vehicle i was using was the Kyosho inferno VE. I do have a few questions:

-two fins broke off my esc fan, where can i get a new fan?

-also, when i was running my VE the esc and motor got really hot (150 for the
motor and 155 for the esc) is there any gearing recommendations for the VE?

-Would timing make a difference in temps?

Three other people ran there Tekin's w/o problems.

Thanks.

P.S i also ran a qual (5 mins) and an main (10 min) at an indoor track

Last edited by GSCL-1; 05-03-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GSCL-1
Had a race in canada, ran 3 quals (5 min) and the main (10min) and i had no problems. I mounted it with servo tape wires were pretty long and loose as well with the sensor wire. I ran a Venom 4S 5000 mah 35C lipo. The vehicle i was using was the Kyosho inferno VE. I do have a few questions:

Thanks.

150 motor and 155 esc are nothing to be concerned about. When it gets to 170, then you need to start to re-evaluate your setup.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by yzracer758
150 motor and 155 esc are nothing to be concerned about. When it gets to 170, then you need to start to re-evaluate your setup.
+1

Also, don't use a temp gun on the esc when worrying about temps. Watch the leds when you are at neutral and they flash every so often ranging from the lone led on the left (cold) to all 7 leds (about to thermal). If you see anything less than 6 leds you're a cool cucumber.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Okay, I just got off the phone with Tekin about my broken t8. So basically, since it's the original model, I have to pay a min of 25 and what ever else it cost to fix the motor. Out of all the issues I have had, now I am out of pocket. This sucks! The shaft just spins in the motor! This is not cool!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

It's just a machine man. Something is bound to wear out eventually. They can't warranty free repairs forever. Twenty-five is much cheaper than a new motor bro. I wouldn't be too upset if I got good use out of it. Just sayin...
Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
Okay, I just got off the phone with Tekin about my broken t8. So basically, since it's the original model, I have to pay a min of 25 and what ever else it cost to fix the motor. Out of all the issues I have had, now I am out of pocket. This sucks! The shaft just spins in the motor! This is not cool!
They're not repairing those first gen ones with the rotor issue for free? Uh oh, I surely hope my motor is one of the newer models.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Team Tekin

I'm not sure who told you that but if it is a V1 or V2 rotor then we will replace it under warranty.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by GSCL-1

Thanks.

P.S i also ran a qual (5 mins) and an main (10 min) at an indoor track
BTW, you should flip your motor wires around so they are coming from the front of the can towards the solder tabs. They way they are now, they will eventually pull the tabs loose from the fiber board and you can short the phases together on the aluminum endbell.

Glad it worked good for you this weekend!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

here is a screenshot of the error I get

what can be wrong. i have the latest version from the web
Old 05-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
I'm not sure who told you that but if it is a V1 or V2 rotor then we will replace it under warranty.
it's a v2 rotor. i remember sending it in with some other rx8 that had issues and you guys replaced it with a v2 rotor...

Instead of sending it in, can i fix it with Permatex 64040? Or can you guys just send me a new rotor and i'll send u my old rotor at the same time? Im trying to reduce my down time... i really would like to race this weekend...
Old 05-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

it's a v2 rotor. i remember sending it in with some other rx8 that had issues and you guys replaced it with a v2 rotor...

Instead of sending it in, can i fix it with Permatex 64040? Or can you guys just send me a new rotor and i'll send u my old rotor at the same time? Im trying to reduce my down time... i really would like to race this weekend...
Also, as nothing is wrong with it as of yet, but my buggy 1900kv motor is also running the v2 rotor.... Are you guys replacing these items by default or only as they break...

thx
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Well, I have been informed, by my LHS and track owner, that Tekin is going to work with him to see that him and all of his customers are taken care of in an unheard of, timely manner. It also sounds like we may be doing some local R&D for them too. Kinda cool, imo. Hats off to Tekin for that.

Guys, trust me, as bummed as I may be about all of this, I am not pissed by any means. I plan to continue to run the RX8 in my buggy for a long time to come, without a second thought. Was just questioning the return process, really.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know Tekin did some updates to the cases on the RX8 systems. Mine are updated and the one I run works very well.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ty's right, we'll have to find out who you talked to. Ty's the service manager so whatever he says goes, period.

The kyosho is a 3.4ish internal diff car. What's your gearing? The guys are right though, your temps are more than fine.

Part # on the fans is TT3812

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.