Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Well, come to find out, my theory was correct. Not only did I crash one RX8 but two in the past week. The second didn't even make it through one race without issues. I had originally thought that it was just my receiver (all the leds
were flashing) but now I have 1-3-5 led's flashing on both and intermittent operation. Pretty bad that mine, and one of my racing buddies' RX8's died at
almost the exact same time, at the exact same spot on the track tonight, during Wednesday night race league at our local indoor track. That's 3 RX8's down total. I'm so bummed, really. This is the only car that I have to run, right now, and I have the first race of our outdoor/summer long state series next Saturday with no esc to run. E-Mailed in for my RA# just now. Sure would be nice to not be a race down right at the start of the season.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

how come when i turn on the esc the fan dosnt move
Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

My return email, for my RA# request, states that it will be 2-3 DAYS before
I even GET a response. REALLY?!? Good Lord this is not a good process. The
even bigger problem is after spending $600 in esc/motor combos to hopefully
not be in this mess (without a car to run my series racing), here I am trying to
find more $$$$ to buy something USED just so I can race!! Please tell me this
isn't true Tekin, please.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone x
how come when i turn on the esc the fan dosnt move
It turns on at 140*
Old 04-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
Neesh, if you need a cap just holler and I'll send you one!
Thank you for the offer. The seller is making amends by sending me everything that supposed to come in the box. I'll give you a hollar if I don't get it though.....Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

quick question,

when posting off this ESC for RMA, do i need to send the box too? itll be more bulky and expensive if i have to
Old 04-30-2010, 03:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hate2Looz
My return email, for my RA# request, states that it will be 2-3 DAYS before
I even GET a response. REALLY?!? Good Lord this is not a good process. The
even bigger problem is after spending $600 in esc/motor combos to hopefully
not be in this mess (without a car to run my series racing), here I am trying to
find more $$$$ to buy something USED just so I can race!! Please tell me this
isn't true Tekin, please.
It's true. You can always call the guys to ask for an RA#. Tekin as per most major manufacturers are busy with orders as well as repairs if any. So asking for a few days for a reply is not asking too much.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Posting on here will not get you an RA# any quicker. If you're looking for a faster response you can always call us.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

MY TEKIN RX8 UPDATE....

So after reading this for 6 months and finally getting to race my buggy alot etc i thought i'd give a quick update on my RX-8 Situation.

background cliffs

1700/4s too slow
had a problem, ended up being the receiver

2050/4s
GREAT but wanted more run time

1400/6s
had an ESC failure randy took care of me ASAP.
Overall LOVED this setup.

1700/5s
Moved to LA Ran my car 3-4 times a week had a couple failures but there was a guy with a couple spare boards helping me out.
Thought i had a board failure.. it was another RX..

NOW since I have gotten that board in later february I have ran the car a dozen times with no problem. INCLUDING a tug of war local fundraiser I placed second in. And a brutal chassis slapping long jump.

I just built on offroad track that is getting ready to open for summer racing so my buggy and my RX8 will see TONS of track time since its 200 yrds from where i live =)

Overall the newest board in my RX8 has been bulletproof compared to the last few. The 1700/5s is a plenty of power and provides a really smooth feel with good punch and top end when needed since it has a few more rpm up top.

So we are going on month 3 with no ESC failures. Right now I am SUPER happy and hope to continue my relationship with using tekin products.

Chase
Old 04-30-2010, 09:28 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default intermittent throttle and no throttle

RX8 working beautifully until yesterday. Had intermittent throttle and at times no throttle with steering. At times the ESC would just turn off as well. Thought it was a failing switch, so I cut the switch off and hard wired. Problems still persisted. Thought it was the battery connectors, so I put on a battery with plugs known to work. This seemed to solve the ESC turning off, but still had the intermittent throttle and at times no throttle with steering.

I've read that absolutely no throttle with steering is probably a board failure. Is this the issue I am having?

Thanks for any help or input.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

if you use a extension for the hotwire make sure that connection is good still too...
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SEF
RX8 working beautifully until yesterday. Had intermittent throttle and at times no throttle with steering. At times the ESC would just turn off as well. Thought it was a failing switch, so I cut the switch off and hard wired. Problems still persisted. Thought it was the battery connectors, so I put on a battery with plugs known to work. This seemed to solve the ESC turning off, but still had the intermittent throttle and at times no throttle with steering.

I've read that absolutely no throttle with steering is probably a board failure. Is this the issue I am having?

Thanks for any help or input.
Sounds like a board failure. Call Tekin up to get an RMA
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Check for a bad bearing or rotor issue. I'd take the pinion off and spin it to make sure it's not the drivetrain.
Thanks Randy.

If bad bearing what size and where can i get it?

If bad rotor how much ?

Thanks..
Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Guys, I am still having trouble with my 2050 running hot in my Losi 8 buggy. I had the board failure on my ESC a couple months ago. Prior to that the motor was a rocket and always came off at 130* (it was pretty cool outside then though)

Tekin fixed my faulty circuit board, but since then the motor runs hot and doesn't seem to have the same freakishly fast power it once had. It still goes ok and is fairly fast, but it isn't the same as it was. I have tried gearing everywhere from 13/45 up to 16/45. Still came off hot with all gearings. I use my brakes but not excessively so and no more than before. I've tried a different brand of ESC with the same results. So, my questions are:

1. Can the ESC failure cause permanent damage to the motor?

2. Is 180* to 190* really too hot after a 12 minute main?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972
Guys, I am still having trouble with my 2050 running hot in my Losi 8 buggy. I had the board failure on my ESC a couple months ago. Prior to that the motor was a rocket and always came off at 130* (it was pretty cool outside then though)

Tekin fixed my faulty circuit board, but since then the motor runs hot and doesn't seem to have the same freakishly fast power it once had. It still goes ok and is fairly fast, but it isn't the same as it was. I have tried gearing everywhere from 13/45 up to 16/45. Still came off hot with all gearings. I use my brakes but not excessively so and no more than before. I've tried a different brand of ESC with the same results. So, my questions are:

1. Can the ESC failure cause permanent damage to the motor?

2. Is 180* to 190* really too hot after a 12 minute main?
This sounds like a rotor that is failing. Same thing happened to me. Had higher temps and lower speed until the rotor just finally gave out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.