Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiro972
Randy,

What do you think of the above posted advice? For some reason my RX8-2050 in my Losi 8ight buggy with 15/45 is coming off the track after a long main (12 minutes) on a warm but not hot day (80F) at around 175F using my Exergen gun. That is after coming down off the drivers stand and carrying the car a very short distance back to the pits.

I had no performance issues, neither did I see any drop off at the end of the main, but I'm a little concerned about the motor heat. I just got my RX8 back from you guys and the only thing I changed was to add Lipo cutoff for 4S. Everything else is set to defaults.

Should I gear down? Or would limiting the throttle end point be better? What else can I do for heat? During the qualifiers, this doesn't happen. It comes off at around 130F, but the longer mains it seems to heat up.
If you're running a 2050 in your Truggy you will need to drop one more pinion gear.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What do you guys recommend for mounting. I have tried many ,ethods. Right now I have an RC-monster XT8 chassis and the esc is bolted right to the chassis. I have mounted them with servo tape, dual lock, shoegoo, zipties. Nothing seems to make a difference it seems. Thats why I hard mounted it. I figured all the extra cushion is actually causing more vibrations rather than helping?

I have tried everything too and still had failures.

I think someone from Tekin (might have been Randy)
stated a few pages back that sans user abuse,it's not
a mounting issue.
I am very surprised to hear that it's a red top that popped..
Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
If you're running a 2050 in your Truggy you will need to drop one more pinion gear.
Sorry Randy, you misread my question. It's in my buggy. Should I still go down? If I remember once you said you thought 16/45 was appropriate in the buggy, so I'm wondering if instead of going below 15 teeth, I should play with punch or endpoints to get the heat down.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Randy.....

I was just looking at the RX8 setup sheets and under 1/8 buggy it had 10th scale. Where do I go to check out the 1/8 buggy setups? Did I miss something?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trap121
I was just looking at the RX8 setup sheets and under 1/8 buggy it had 10th scale. Where do I go to check out the 1/8 buggy setups? Did I miss something?
http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC...up-sheets.html

Give that a try. There is a little tab at the top of the page to choose RX8 or RS

For what it is worth,
Spironi
Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry,

If you're running a 2050 in a buggy I'd run a 15/45 in a Losi. However if it's a Hotbodies V8, RC8b or other buggy with a 4.3 internal setup I'd suggest running more like an 18-19 pinion.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Randy....How are you and ty mounting your ESCs on your Losi's ? directly to the tray correct ? anything in between ?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

quick question for everyone else who has experianced multiable failures?

I have had multiable failures and have tried all the different mounting methods, velcro with a zip tie, screws with orings, thick double sided tape, the gell double sided tape with multiable stacks.

What i am wondering now is how is everyone soldering their wires? I had been soldering them where the wire came out at a 90* to the solder post. All of my failure had to do with the esc cutting in and out after a few runs.

Now with my new esc's that i have recieved back I soldered the wires inline with the soldering post. So far i have had no issues after about 9 battery packs. (this is more than i have gotten out of all my other esc's before failure) I am thinking that maybe if you are soldering the wires at a 90* to the post you are creating torque on the board when the wires flex from impacts and over time you wind up shorting out the board internally. However, with the wires mounted inline with the post the viberations seem to happen more in the wire than directly on the post/board?

Just wondering, and trying to help out tekin figure what is causeing the issues with certain units having mult. failures. would like to hear what others have to say/think?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Sorry,

If you're running a 2050 in a buggy I'd run a 15/45 in a Losi. However if it's a Hotbodies V8, RC8b or other buggy with a 4.3 internal setup I'd suggest running more like an 18-19 pinion.
No problem. I know you're busy and this is a lot to read, but now we've established I AM running a Losi buggy and I AM running 15/45. I need to fix why I AM running HOT. 175F+ at the end of a 12 minute main. 80F ambient temp outside.

What changes should I make? Turn down the EPA? Turn down the punch? Change the gearing? Just F-it and run it hot???

Again, I know you're busy, but I gave all the details in my first post above and I don't want to have to send back another unit for repair.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
quick question for everyone else who has experianced multiable failures?

I have had multiable failures and have tried all the different mounting methods, velcro with a zip tie, screws with orings, thick double sided tape, the gell double sided tape with multiable stacks.

What i am wondering now is how is everyone soldering their wires? I had been soldering them where the wire came out at a 90* to the solder post. All of my failure had to do with the esc cutting in and out after a few runs.

Now with my new esc's that i have recieved back I soldered the wires inline with the soldering post. So far i have had no issues after about 9 battery packs. (this is more than i have gotten out of all my other esc's before failure) I am thinking that maybe if you are soldering the wires at a 90* to the post you are creating torque on the board when the wires flex from impacts and over time you wind up shorting out the board internally. However, with the wires mounted inline with the post the viberations seem to happen more in the wire than directly on the post/board?

Just wondering, and trying to help out tekin figure what is causeing the issues with certain units having mult. failures. would like to hear what others have to say/think?
It may not be so much the direction you solder the wires but whether or not they put stress on the board. The following pic is a buggy setup with a early release RX8 that has run for a whole season and plus about an hour practice every week during race season with no failure. The clamp you can see to the top right of the pic eliminates any stress the wires may put on the ESC even on hard landings.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

1/8 brushless needs better wire management. I have a couple ideas that I want to design. I'm not sure it will be worth my investment yet.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by warpig
1/8 brushless needs better wire management. I have a couple ideas that I want to design. I'm not sure it will be worth my investment yet.
People just need to take some time and think about how to cleanly run their wires and take their time during the install....
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ta_man
It may not be so much the direction you solder the wires but whether or not they put stress on the board. The following pic is a buggy setup with a early release RX8 that has run for a whole season and plus about an hour practice every week during race season with no failure. The clamp you can see to the top right of the pic eliminates any stress the wires may put on the ESC even on hard landings.
I have noticed that I haven't had any failures with my Tekno 8t 2.0. I think it might have to do with the fact the ESC is mounted in the FRONT and then RAISED off the chassis. Truggies also don't "chassis slap" as much as buggies. My rx8 in my truggy has been going strong almost a year now.

I really think the failures have to do with being mounted in the rear of buggies on the chassis. There is very little cushioning to protect the ESC from the jarring.

I am actually considering going back to using my RCPD center diff mount to put the ESC back over the middle of the center diff instead of having it down on the chassis in my buggy.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
People just need to take some time and think about how to cleanly run their wires and take their time during the install....
What I have dealt with is wires breaking internally. I have as good of an install as you can without something picking up the slack. I could run 12" wires all the way down to the chassis on my car and that would work but 12" would just add more resistance to my system. So, I'm thinking of a wire clip that bolts to the center diff housing. I have ran a Losi and an Xray and there is nothing between the motor and the ESC to pick up the slack. I have broken wires on my battery plug and my wires going to my motor. 1/8 buggy just needs some wire management. Something simple to pick up the slack of the wires.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah the wire router on the Ve8 is awesome help for that. I have been trying to come up with somewhere else to mount my esc. I want 1 of the RCPD esc mounts and could use 1 because I dont run the mech brakes, but he dont make 1 that fits the center diffmount. Its not the same as the d8.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.