Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Ordered my Tekin today at Amain. Go Tekin! lol
Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Randy when will the Tekin 4s 5000 lipos be ready?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pq49z
I would rather wait for a system that is built rite than a system that needs to be updated twice after it is released. Randy you take your time and make it a great system. The more people that buy MMM means more RX8 esc for those of us who want the best.
Ditto, I bought a MMM cause I couldn't stand just looking at my D8E sitting there. As soon as the RX8 is released, you'll be seeing a MMM combo for sale!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Seeing the motor shaft length is 71mm, would it be able to fit into the EX1 Pro?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adrictan
Seeing the motor shaft length is 71mm, would it be able to fit into the EX1 Pro?
Randy, let me know if it fits. I'll make an order if it does.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tekin:

Why have you chosen to go sensored during start-up when nowadays sensorless-based software is just as smooth or smoother. When u look at high end sensorless esc's in most cases they are built and work much smoother than sensored even during startup.

Can u not focus on refining your software to master the startup rather than relying on sensored hardware, cables, etc..?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Key
Tekin:

Why have you chosen to go sensored during start-up when nowadays sensorless-based software is just as smooth or smoother. When u look at high end sensorless esc's in most cases they are built and work much smoother than sensored even during startup.

Can u not focus on refining your software to master the startup rather than relying on sensored hardware, cables, etc..?
When was the last time you drove a sensored setup? I dont personally find your statment to be correct at all.

Yes I agree sensored is very good now, but no way is the start up smoother than a sensored setup.

The R1Pro ran very well in my buggy. Every bit as smooth of a start up as any other sensorless esc I have driven, so I dont think its a matter of they cant make the software. Its a matter of making the best possible setup with 100% perfect and consistent startups every time.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 AM
Key
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jhautz
When was the last time you drove a sensored setup? I dont personally find your statment to be correct at all.

Yes I agree sensored is very good now, but no way is the start up smoother than a sensored setup.

The R1Pro ran very well in my buggy. Every bit as smooth of a start up as any other sensorless esc I have driven, so I dont think its a matter of they cant make the software. Its a matter of making the best possible setup with 100% perfect and consistent startups every time.
5 years ago I used to run a 1/10 on-road on 4s using a Schultz U-Force 75/Plettenberg extreme (quad-magnet) combo. Later down the road I was keen on giving sensored a try, so I ran a GTB on 2s.

Power aside, if you ask me which one was smoother at startup it would be the UF-75/Plettenberg combo hands down.

The sophisticated software of the UF at that time along with higher voltage plus the high-end Plettenberg 4-pole motor design contributed greatly to the application's 'smootheness' during startup.

If Tekin were to focus more on mastering startup using software rather than applying xtra wire harnesses I'm quite sure that start-ups can be perfected without relying on sensors.

..just my .002 cents based on what I've tested so far.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

For one, comparing a pletty to a novak is like comparing a Ferrari to a Toyota. 2 it was a novak ESC, there pretty much a on and off switch!

I think you need to try out sensored again with a ESC that works. Randy Pike let me drive his 8th buggy with the RX8 combo in there, and there is no way sensorless compares. Ive used most of the motors and ESC's out, from a few years ago running Quark, MM on a external BEC, to the MMM. You just cant beat a sensored system, you can make it close, but sensored is always. consistent, which is what you need when your pushing your car when racing.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Silky Smooth=Sensor.

Will never change.

I'm gonna get me a 1350Kv truggy combo.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
For one, comparing a pletty to a novak is like comparing a Ferrari to a Toyota. 2 it was a novak ESC, there pretty much a on and off switch!

You just cant beat a sensored system, you can make it close, but sensored is always. consistent, which is what you need when your pushing your car when racing.
Ditto!

Novak ESC's are mostly overpriced budget equipment. You get what you pay for.

My smoothest sensorless setup is the qaurk esc with a hacker motor. But as smooth as it is, it's still not as smooth as a good sensored setup.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Key
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO

I think you need to try out sensored again with a ESC that works. Randy Pike let me drive his 8th buggy with the RX8 combo in there, and there is no way sensorless compares. Ive used most of the motors and ESC's out, from a few years ago running Quark, MM on a external BEC, to the MMM. You just cant beat a sensored system, you can make it close, but sensored is always. consistent, which is what you need when your pushing your car when racing.

The GTB is considered a competition ESC and is a valid comparison against all other sensored-based rivals - although I agree with your statement about the two motors.

If I had used a 2s setup on the Pletty/U-force the smoothness comparison between the GTB and UF would be very close. The point is when using higher voltage (eg. 4s+) and motors designed with more than 2poles the smoothness of sensorless are neck and neck with their sensored-based rival.

I would not underestimate the smoothness of sensorless technology nowadays. There’s much more room for improvement in sensorless than a sensored-based platform due to its 100% reliance on software.

Again, I am sure if Tekin focuses more on improving their algorithm sensors will be a thing of the past.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sensorless is awesome. We spent ALOT of time working on the sensorless design. We wanted/needed/required relaible, consistant starts for every application 10th scale Offroad, TC ( TC has ZERO tolerance for hesitations on carpet) and so on....Any input power any time anywhere....you get that with sensored.

All of the RX8 testing for the better part of 2 years was sensorlesss and it ripped. Still you get the chattered starts from time to time...this was on 2s, 4s, 5s and 6s with a 12pole motor.

We love the hybrid solution of sensored starts followed by the efficient sensorless drive through out the rest of the RPM range. This Hybrid mode or "D2" Dual Drive Mode is the basis of the RX8, RS systems and has proven to achieve the best of both worlds for any application it has been fitted to.

Key has some good points...sensorless offers a vast amount of possiblities due to it being driven via software...The starts are good but when you need %100 all the time, everytime, no matter what....you let sensored step in so that way the ESC knows exactly where that motor is sitting and how it will roll the motor the direction you tell it to.

CYA at the TRACK!! WOOHA!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

So everyone is jumping ship from the MMM to the un-tested Tekin sensor'd?

I'm not seeing a crazy benefit to completely jumping ship right now. I've got no complaints with the MMM. In fact, nothing but praise here.

Curious to see all the Tekin hype translate into track reliability. If it is, then it could be real cool.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

the Tekins are tested in race conditions by there team racers.The mmm's were tested in monster trucks in non race conditions which is why it three versions to get them right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.