Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Tech Initiate

can know which solder is brittle in the RX8?

Photos
Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jetmechG550
The above assessment of how nitro guys do things leads me to believe you have no clue. I have been running nitro for some years now, I go to regional events and national events, I don't have a handful of motors to pull from. I don't swap motors out if I am having tuning issues. Nobody I know and run with has the endless pool of motors to swap between. I keep track of my equipment as to how much fuel I've put through it or how many 30 minute mains it's been through and when an engine starts to go soft I buy a new one and run the current until it just won't run anymore. I go up on the stand at every race, confident that my equipment will finish unless I drive like a doofus and break something. I carry enough spares to put together another buggy but motors no. I run 1/10th 4wd and don't carry a spare motor or esc with me and I am confident it will finish too. 1/8th electric, I have no confidence in any system, YET, that it can finish. When you go up on the stand with that in mind, it sort of effects the way you race. But this is just frustrating and nowhere near how I feel about my 1/8th nitro program.
We have different views of the nitro thing then. Most do keep at least one spare, if they are serious about racing at all. I never said every nitro racer has an endless pool of spare motors. Some guys don't have a backup, and those are the ones you see borrowing motors to get through the day, etc. Happens all the time... and although you do hear guys complain about it sometimes, or even quit nitro and go electric... IMO it's more rare, and overall they take it more in stride vs. electric guy.

The point really isn't about nitro guy though. It's about the overly critical view, or unrealistic expectations IMO that some 1/8 electric guys have about their equipment.

Yes, absolutely...1/10 stuff is more reliable, which is why I said to stick with that if a guy wants a no hassles car.

I expect 1/8 equipment... motor/esc/batt... to keep getting better and more reliable. But right now it's still early in the game, and it's a whole different animal. 8lbs, 4wd.... and everyone wants to drive it like they stole it.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gary NJ
Frank - Steve's problems with his Losi brushless system are directly attributable to his earlier use of Byron's Gen 2, and your Tekin problems can be traced directly to Obama's policies. Just thought you'd want to know...
I run Gen2 in my nitro... is that bad news for my speedo?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Adept

Yeahhhh burn things .... !

Anyway everyone thats getting into 1:8 electric should now it's still in the early stages. Company's like Tekin, CC, etc are working hard to get the unit's bash proof. This is tested by the users the only thing they could do is get the user happy with the support and that is great from time to time from all those brands. I do also some testing for Savox motor's and yupp they get loads of motors back from us that are smoked .

But electric has it's advantages escpecially when the problems are sorted out. My last spare ESC is running fine and the motor's with the new rotor are holding perfect and we now looking towards stable driving as it lasted now allready for more that 2 hours racing on astroturf (and this pushes an motor to it's limits with breaking )

But he look at the things i have saved .....
I'am an verry regular driver and drive an lot .... If everything works fine from the start with 1 esc and one motor you save an lot of $$ in the year! In my caes: 50 liters fuel, 2-3 Nitro engines, loads of clutchshoes, loads of clutch bearings, glow plugs, starterbox. It saves me an grand total of arround 1200$ in a year!. Ok you waste some things also with electric offcourse but normally that would be 2 packs, some bearings oh and a pinion or 2 (If all works fine).

At our club many people are switching to electric as now they are able to drive any time any moment and it gives them more fun as they don't need to fiddle arround with the tuning of their high/low speed needles.

So yupp electric is the future!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Fan longevity

Has anyone tried attaching a piece of coarse foam over the fan to keep the rocks out of the blades? I assume the small rocks are what was causing the blades to hang up and break.

Anyway, just curious as if this would work. I'm just starting to get mine together.

-Steve
Old 09-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Good suggestion on using coarse foam on top of the ESC fan shroud. I believe the stock fan is really weak. I got my ESC used and it had a Much More fan on it because the original broke on it's first run. I plan to use plastic screen/mesh and shoe goo it. I hope it works...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

if you want, you can also just use a heavier duty 12V fan. I ran this direct off of the battery leads when I did my Mamba Max conversion. It worked excellent and never failed. Worth a look till the new fans come out if you are concerned about temps.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bsmooth
Has anyone tried attaching a piece of coarse foam over the fan to keep the rocks out of the blades? I assume the small rocks are what was causing the blades to hang up and break.

Anyway, just curious as if this would work. I'm just starting to get mine together.

-Steve
I used a piece from an old air filter outerware I had laying around. So the air flows very nice and it keeps all the debris out.

On a different note I have been going to my track during the week and the Tekin has been holding up great! I even need a new set of tires cz I wore the stock losi tires down to nuttin! I ran a nitro buggy for 2 years and I never kept the thing running long enough to burn a set of tires. This is awsome!!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Hey! That's a great idea! The air flow on those things are excellent being used to cover air filters and all....Good thinking man...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

i just dont use a fan as it is not needed on my setup.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ambo
Hey! That's a great idea! The air flow on those things are excellent being used to cover air filters and all....Good thinking man...
I even used that stuff on my air flow ports in my body to keep even more dirt out. I m glad I kept that outerware tho there isnt much left of it now lol.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
I run Gen2 in my nitro... is that bad news for my speedo?
I think as long as you are outside of a small geographic radius that has it's center in southern Indiana you will be just fine...

J/K, J/K!!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Hey Im in southern IN.....

LOL
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I hate fans on my equipment. I feel the 1/8 ESC's need a heat sink with more surface area that offers better cooling.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

For Indoors, I dont run the fan....only when we go to large outdoor tracks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.